• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

new "real" Sim City in 2013

Started by RickD, February 28, 2012, 01:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Everything I've seen says 1-16 players.  That seems to indicate a solo mode is part of it.  I like the fact that they're limiting it to 16 and have repeatedly mentioned "friends" in discussing it.  It seems to me that this might potentially include support having private IP setups, which, IMO, is the right way to do multiplayer.

-Alex

RickD

I am cautiously optimistic after seeing the trailer and reading the new homepage. I still worry about Multiplayer, though. It could be fun, but I do not want to be forced to take part in Multiplayer.

I wonder how much of the real gameplay the trailer resembles (yes, I have seen the note). Judging by the trailer there won't be lots any more. In the trailer you can see that buildings (or even parets of it) are placed directly on the ground. A blue outline of the buildings foundation appears presumably so that the player can see if the building fits in.

And I am not sure if I like the "the city shapes to your playing style" (tourist city, education city, ...). This sounds very much like Societies. However, I have said this when Societies came out, if it is implemented in a good way, then it could actually be really great.

I hope a real gameplay trailer comes out soon or at least screenshots come out soon.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

WC_EEND

Since the trailer only showed ploppables, I wonder wether there will still be growable buildings.
Also, one of they key questions is still unanswered: What will happen to the support for custom content? My take on it is that it'll likely be possible, since EA also still allowed it with TS3.
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

RickD

Zoning has been officially announced as a game feature.

Edit:

From the official homepage:
QuotePlay with new enhanced design tools like curvy roads and zoning to create the city you always wanted.
My name is Raphael.

mike3775

Quote from: RickD on March 07, 2012, 02:49:55 AM
Zoning has been officially announced as a game feature.

Edit:

From the official homepage:
QuotePlay with new enhanced design tools like curvy roads and zoning to create the city you always wanted.

We get that already with SC4 though, thanks to the NAM

QuoteComplete missions to unlock better buildings and create the most impressive city in your region.

I do like that they are bringing back challenges to the game like the original.

QuoteThe Sims in your city speak to you directly and it's up to you to respond by completing pledges.

This could be fun, you can become a legit politician and lie on the campaign trail and do the complete opposite once in power   :P

Kitsune

its going to be using origin ... that is eithier going to be a curse or a gift, and likely the former.
~ NAM Team Member

Connor

I didn't think I would be attracted to SC5 considering how Custom Content has enhanced SC4. However, I do think SC5 looks quite promising, though I am not keen on the multiplayer aspect.

xannepan

I really don't get the multiplayer aspect. For me simcity is the ultimate game that allows me to create MY OWN world... Created to my imagination, believes, esthaetics etc. I thinknthat is the main attraction of a game like this for me, and for many other players. Having that said, multiplayer could add an extra interesting dimension, as long as I am not forced to participate in it :-)

Fabian93

Unlike most of you, I'm not too optimistic after watching this trailer. If this trailer is supposed to present us SC5, then MDs like AntigOne have already surpassed SC5... at least concerning realism. This game looks nothing but unrealistic. The only advance I currently see in SC5 is the fact that we will probably have full 3d graphics...

mike3775

Quote from: Fabian93 on March 07, 2012, 07:17:22 AM
Unlike most of you, I'm not too optimistic after watching this trailer. If this trailer is supposed to present us SC5, then MDs like AntigOne have already surpassed SC5... at least concerning realism. This game looks nothing but unrealistic. The only advance I currently see in SC5 is the fact that we will probably have full 3d graphics...

I think Iwould play the game just for the challenges.  I honestly do miss the challenge of trying to beat the game.  I loved the SNES version of Sim City where you tried to become a megalopolis, and had the challenges of taking over other cities that a disaster was about to strike and you had to figure out how to minimize the disaster. 

art128

Quote from: Kitsune on March 07, 2012, 05:20:10 AM
its going to be using origin ... that is eithier going to be a curse or a gift, and likely the former.

Yeap, too bad. If it definitely use ONLY orgini, I'll not buy this opus. :( ( let's hope for a steam or a " free-of-software " version of the game though..
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

WC_EEND

Quote from: art128 on March 07, 2012, 07:23:11 AM
Yeap, too bad. If it definitely use ONLY orgini, I'll not buy this opus. :( ( let's hope for a steam or a " free-of-software " version of the game though..

Honestly, I think it'll be more likely EA will give it away for free than have it on steam as well or even DRM-less. They are pushing Origin now by making their titles exclusive to it, they know if they don't nobody will even bother using Origin.

My LOT thread                                    

RickD

Quote from: Fabian93 on March 07, 2012, 07:17:22 AM

Remember what SC4 looked like when it hit the store shelves. Ridiculous! It is unfair to compare a not even yet released game with one that has been developed and polished (albeit not by the publisher but by the community) for 9 years.

The real and most important question is: Will the new game offer (at least) the same possibilities for improvement?

If the answer is yes, then I do not care what the game offers when it comes out.
My name is Raphael.

Fabian93

Well, that might be your opinion. I for one think, that a new game should beat it's predecessor including its custom content. There would be no sense for a new game, if it can't even beat the old game (SC4) with it's plugins.
My problem is, that everything in this trailer looks so childish. I've never played SC4 for it's realistic simulation of economy or whatever... I've always been aiming for realistic looking cities - looking at this trailer AT THIS VERY MOMENT! .. I am not sure if SC5 will give me the possibilities which SC4 gives me right now.
I will buy the game anyway to check out its possibilities. Maybe I'm just a little bit disappointed right now - after watching the trailer.

Stray Cat

Quote from: Kitsune on March 07, 2012, 05:20:10 AM

It can use origin or it can be a physical copy or download as well according to the pre-order site.

Scott
Just a stray wandering through life heading to the big litter-box in the sky...

Simlock

After hearing the news about Simcity 5 I decided to become a member here and share my thoughts on it, played SC4 for a while, absolutely in love with how it looks but never managed to make a city profitable  &mmm. I still love it though!

As for the SC 5 trailer: WOW! The leaked pics look like they were in-game, if that is the case: WOoOoOoOW!! i'm in love again!! Want want want!!
I Hope they keep a degree of that funky cartoony look in, the trailer is too realistic for me, but still damn nice!

But, if i'm totally honest, I'm very worried that it won't be as much fun as it seems. The things Lucy Bradshaw said scare me! Waaaay to much focus on environmental B.S. issues, and waaaaay too much focus on 'working together' (aka multiplayer) for a 'better planet' or something?? Sounds like some forced moralistic message to me. Then ofcourse there's EA, will they allow user generated content like BATS etc.? That's 50% of the fun of SC4. I don't get what is bad about 'Origin' though, but i'm not really a gamer...

What i'd like, is to build something beautiful, be it a small dreamy town or a big futuristic megapolis, make it profitable, tweak and personalise it, and then fly/drive around town, and maybe drive around in a neighbors town! And that's basically it

Battlecat

I'm not entirely sure if I'm able to be optimistic about this.  I've been disappointed by the recent "Simcity" style games.  There's nothing in this trailer that we didn't see in previous Sim game trailers.  Especially considering it looks more like a cinematic advertising trailer than a gameplay trailer.   

I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt until I see the full features list, some actual gameplay information and more information on the simulation engine.  But I don't plan on holding my breath. 

Good grief I hate being a pessimist on this but I can't work up the energy to try and get my hopes up!  I really hope the game proves me wrong. 

WC_EEND

Quote from: Stray Cat on March 07, 2012, 07:52:49 AM

It can use origin or it can be a physical copy or download as well according to the pre-order site.

Scott

More interestingly, it also lists system requirements:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better, or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2,0GHz or better
Operating System: Windows XP/Vista/7
RAM: 2GB
Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 2x00 or better* nVidia 7800 or better* Intel Series 4 integrated graphics or better*
Broadband internet: minimum download speed of 256kbps and upload speed of 64kbps
*Mimimum 256MB VRAM and shader 3.0 support or better
Which is not bad to be honest. I was expecting at least a quad core and something like a GTX260 as minimum.
Price was less interesting though: €80 (well, €79.99) it'd better be good if they charge that much for it.

My LOT thread                                    

j-dub

Dang. Makes you wonder how much that will cost you on Apple, if it costs you that much on Windows, because I remember seeing a bunch of single SC4 Deluxe Apple boxes cost at least 49.99 USD. This was 2009-2010.

All I know is it better do more then Societies. Even the SimCity they put on the Wii at least allowed free form curved roads and streets, despite the serious lack of anything wider then two way traffic.

Connor

Wow, just had a look at the price on the pre-order site. In Pounds (GBP) its £64.99 (~$102 / ~78euros) for Digital Deluxe, or £44.99 (~$71 / 54euros) for Limited Edition. Seems way overpriced to me. Not at all convinced that I'll pay that much for it.