• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SimCity 4 Now Legit Without the Disc by EA but u got to pay

Started by j-dub, July 21, 2010, 10:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you pay to play SimCity 4 without the disc ?

Yes
30 (44.8%)
No way
37 (55.2%)

Total Members Voted: 67

j-dub

Since I have not seen this in any forum before, but as of July 20th, 2010, EA has just now been selling SimCity 4 Deluxe as DLC at the same place where you can buy the city life games without the disc.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24780/

You can play without the disc, but you have to cough up 19.99 USD, and it involves basically reinstalling the game all over again, but relocating the directories.
I can't say what the price is for the Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Spanish, Swedish, but it sounds like they are also selling this in those regions as DLC.

Advantages:
-your game will now be forever backed up if it gets destroyed and can be played on any pc
-you will no longer be playing an illegitimate, unsupported copy of the game
-still can port your own music and plugins over, especially NAM

DisAdvantages:
-you got to cough up cash again if you have already bought the game at full retail years before
-you have to run your game through another program before launching sc4 called steam

My Thoughts:
I got to say, since I already have an account with them and have purchased reduced versions of other sim-like building games, I am really tempted to do so, but until my game breaks out completely, I will wait.
-you have to be connected and have a login to steam

I would think this would be an easier way to play since the game will no longer have to read from the disc, plugins and installation, and should cut those three things down to two.
It is my understanding that this steam system has its own developer shortcuts that allows a program to be run based through their shortcut(s) instead of Windows such as the run in window command. However, the only way we will know if someone does buy this and shares their experience.

Diggis

Quote from: j-dub on July 21, 2010, 10:09:24 PM
I would think this would be an easier way to play since the game will no longer have to read from the disc, plugins and installation, and should cut those three things down to two.
It is my understanding that this steam system has its own developer shortcuts that allows a program to be run based through their shortcut(s) instead of Windows such as the run in window command. However, the only way we will know if someone does buy this and shares their experience.

I don't think the game really reads from the disc other than to check it's there.  In this case it's just checking you have a steam copy so it's the same amount of work.  I have issues with offline games that require me to be online to play.

sumwonyuno

This option has several advantages over my current setup.  I bought the game years ago, I lost my CD key, and disc 2 has fractures in the spindle ring.  My current setup is on Linux, and I've been copying over my SC4 installation, along with using a no-cd patch (v 1.1.638).

I decided to purchase the game, again.  When you select to load the game, there's a popup that asks you to play the game or to view support information.  I'm predicting it will get annoying.  I don't know how to bypass it, yet.

The game has custom BAT nightlighting, so I'm guessing it's at 1.1.640.  The performance is the same as running the standalone game through Wine.  I don't think the game has Steam Cloud capabilities because I don't see the cloud icon next to SimCity.  This probably means you can't upload your settings, plugins, and regions to the Steam Cloud, and then transfer over your settings through Steam on another computer.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but at least with the other Steam games I have, only basic settings are sent to the Steam Cloud and not mods, maps, etc.  You can add the command line options by right-clicking the game in the list > properties > general > set launch options.    The in-game Steam Community (Shift-Tab) only works with DirectX Hardware mode (including -d:directx).  If you use Software mode, -d:opengl, or d:software, the in-game Steam Community overlay won't work.

Yes, you do have to load Steam before you can play with this version.  I did not encounter a CD key.  Once you pay your order, you can just download, wait..., transfer over your custom content + regions, and then play.  There is an offline mode, so you don't always have to be connected to the Steam Network to play.  If you already have Steam and use it a lot, you can add the standalone version through "Add a non-Steam game to my library".  Steam will then be able to initiate the game, though this is not the same as the version through Steam.

I haven't tested Maxis (e.g. Lot editor) or other third party tools yet.  I'm going to guess that because of registry keys and a different installation directory, the Maxis-based installers may not work.  You'll have to change the necessary game paths for any relevant third party tool.  We might be able to just copy the Lot Editor files from a standalone copy.  I'm going to keep my standalone version for a while, especially for any stubborn tools that won't work with the Steam version.

[Edit]: Copying over the Lot Editor files works. [LotEditor.dat in "simcity 4 deluxe" folder and LotEditor.exe and LotEditor.ini in "Apps" subfolder]

Please feel free to post your experience for those of you that choose the Steam version.

The City & County of Honolulu, a Mayor Diary based on Honolulu, Hawai'i.

mark's memory address - I've created a blog!

daeley

Just a hypothetical question: If I own the game (and still have the original CD) wouldn't it be perfectly legal for me to make a copy of that CD to an ISO file, and mount that ISO to a virtual CD drive when booting the game instead of using the physical drive? That would save those $20...

Quote from: Diggis on July 22, 2010, 12:39:59 AM
I have issues with offline games that require me to be online to play.

agreed!
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

travismking

Awesome, i bought the game years ago but have been playing from an ISO cuz the CD broke, this will give me a chance to get my nightlights back (this computer doesnt even have a CD drive :p)

callagrafx

Quote from: daeley on July 22, 2010, 01:11:02 AM
Just a hypothetical question: If I own the game (and still have the original CD) wouldn't it be perfectly legal for me to make a copy of that CD to an ISO file, and mount that ISO to a virtual CD drive when booting the game instead of using the physical drive? That would save those $20...

If it's for your own personal use and you do not distribute it in any form, then yes.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

joelyboy911

What if he posted instructions on how to do that for everyone else to follow? Would it still be legal?
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

io_bg

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

travismking

no it would not be legal, and the game does not run (or shouldnt run) from an iso so you have to crack it to make it work, which means no night-lights as theres no night-light cracked version (at least that ive found)

Andreas

I depends if those programs that can create a virtual CD image are considered legal in your place or not. Some countries banned programs that can override copy protection mechanisms, but as far as I know, you can still use those programs if you happen to own them (it is illegal to sell or distribute them, though) - at least that's what I know about the German law.

I don't think that there's a need for a tutorial, and since it might be illegal to do so, it could be dangerous to post one, but you should be able to find more than enough hints via a web search - and since you already paid for the software, I don't see a problem to use such a CD image. There are lots of computers that don't even have a CD drive (such as netbooks or subnotebooks), and while using a pirated copy is certainly illegal, nobody can stop me from using a legit copy on my preferred system.
Andreas

joelyboy911

It's not really any trouble to me, I've got SimCity 4 Deluxe Disc 2 in my drive 24/7.  :P
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

jigsaw

Quote from: joelyboy911 on July 22, 2010, 03:30:02 AM
It's not really any trouble to me, I've got SimCity 4 Deluxe Disc 2 in my drive 24/7.  :P

i know what you mean  :thumbsup:
insert signature here

WC_EEND

While I like the idea of having a Steam-version of SC4, there are 2 things that concern me:
1: Openness to modding (non-Valve games, like the GTA-series have the reputation of being unmoddable in the Steam release while being quite open to modding in non-Steam versions)
2: €15 for a game I, not only aready have, but costs €10 as non-Steam
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

Diggis

Quote from: travismking on July 22, 2010, 02:46:22 AM
no it would not be legal, and the game does not run (or shouldnt run) from an iso so you have to crack it to make it work, which means no night-lights as theres no night-light cracked version (at least that ive found)

This is untrue.  I use an ISO of my game and it works perfectly.  Some games I have do, some (mostly EA ones  :angrymore:) don't, but SC4 definetly does.

EDIT: And before anyone cries foul, I own ALL of my games and wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Jonathan

Even No-CD patches are ok, as long as you have bought the game and have the disc and serial code in your possession. So you can't lend the game to a friend and have them use a No-CD patch or you have a no-CD patch. No-CD patches might be against the EULA (EULA's are that inforceable anyway and it says you may not modify the exe but if download a No-CD patch well then you didn't modify it) but I'm pretty sure it's not illegal.

Mounting an iso does not require cracking or any other modification, it is just an exact copy of the disc which is ok to do, as long as you keep it to yourself. Mounting an iso is just a virtual copy of the disc and even shows up in My Computer as a disc drive, and you can backup your media as long as it is for personal use. Because of this you can have the nightlighting patch and the game mounted as an iso, it's only with the no-Cd patch that you can't have the nightlighting patch.

You could even download an uncracked/unmodified copy of the game (though not with torrents where your actually also uploading it to someone else and that is redistributing) if you have a legally bought box,disc and serial number in order to get it onto a PC without a disc drive.

I used to have it mounted with an iso when I ran Vista, but after upgrading to Windows 7 I just bought a cheap £1 disc drive I happened to see and keep the disc permanently in that. It doesn't need to be a fast drive and can be ancient as the game is not run from the CD, it only checks to see if the CD is and after you've started the game the disc can be ejected.

As long as you have a copy of the game (I've bought 3 over the years because I lost the discs) that you've bought legally there should be no problem in using a No-CD patch/mounting an iso.

(btw, I didn't look anything up while writing the post, and it depends on the country you live in (because the lawmakers aren't used to the idea of the internet being worldwide ;)) on how accurate the post is)

SimFox

There is a program called GameJackal. The whole point of it is to make you games to run without CD/DVDs.
It automatically determines what sort of protection and use of CD/DVD game has. For instance if game just checks the presence of CD (like SC4) or needs to load some stuff from the CD/DVD at start/or during the game play. Then GameJackal creates sort of iso image of the game - I say sort of cause it basically creates specific game data file that could be tinny - like in case of SC4 or as large as the full image of the disk - if all the stuff is always loaded from it.
Once this task is performed you can start the game you need from the special icon within GameJackal. These icons(shortcuts) could be modified (with extra keys) just the way regular one could be.
So this is how I play my SC4 while the cd is safely in a box.

BarbyW

Please this discussion within legal limits as it has been so far.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

j-dub

Well thats the whole thing, some countries as stated above have different rules about whats legal and whats not involving digital matter. Just look at those warnings when you watch a movie on disc, but if you watch a movie on hulu, or TV, how would they regulate you recording it from the PC to something else like a VHS or something? Not that I ask that literally, its just this reason I don't see why you can't be allowed to backup for free, game or video if you already purchased, but it definitely is a different story if you never wanted to pay to begin with.

I only got the game because it was gifted. Would I have paid for it? When it sold for the current $19.99 price then yes. I usually like to wait for sales to cough up cash  for good stuff. Compared to SimCity, I had to cough up 16 dollars for the DL version of Roller Coaster Tycoon III with its two addons. Sadly, with STEAM and the only thing separating me from games was a single click away, I had some control issues I am not so proud of, because cost of stuff adds up and takes your $ out fast.

I want to point out that because it is sold without the disc just now, that maybe some no disc rules could of gotten beefed up for this reason.

Jonathan

I read somewhere that recording tv shows to vhs/dvd is technically illegal, just if they prosecuted everyone who did tat there'd be no one to watch the shows and they'd lose money, I wouldnt be surprised if its similar with games.

If it had been a digital download 4 years ago i probably would have got that (except i wouldn't because my connection would be too slow ;))  but now i have the disc and theres nothing new with the steam version i don't have the money.

But this could be seen as a good sign that EA are taking notice in simcity again, but it also could be a bad sign that SC4 is the last ever SC and so that's why they're making it available online.

Can only be good though that more and more games are making there way online (although the internet connection to play is irritating)

xxdita

Quote from: Jonathan on July 22, 2010, 01:23:20 PM
I read somewhere that recording tv shows to vhs/dvd is technically illegal,

US Copyright and the MPAA allows for the recording of broadcast/cable television for personal use. Again, only redistrubiting or selling the video copy is illegal. Otherwise cable companies, like TimeWarner, would not legally be able to offer a DVR service, for a monthly charge.

Back on topic, it's good that there is an option to buy the game without a cd, but I see no point in it for me; especially if you have to be connected to the internet in order to be able to play. There are several image burning utilities, ranging from Freeware to about US$60, depending on the functionality you want/need.

There's also not much point in posting a tutorial on how to do it, since each program is set up differently, and some programs work better on different operating systems. I've learned to back-up everything, since computer, external hard drive, and cd/dvd failure is imminent.