• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

buzzits power project

Started by Buzzit, August 10, 2010, 02:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandelSoft

Quote from: Buzzit on April 07, 2012, 06:26:22 AM
Quote from: Lowkee33 on April 05, 2012, 06:32:00 AM
Certainly an LOD issue, though I'm not sure that custom ones will solve it.  The game thinks the arms are on top/in front of the base, even if your LODs were extremely tight, you still might have this issue.

I would try Maarten's #2 first (but there is probably a reason you have them separate).  Another solution might be to just not make the arms so close to the base.  If you could remove those 4-8 pixels from the arms, it might look better.

i'm afraid that rendering the wires only gives the same problem. the wires would be seen through the model.
Not if you render only one side (front or back) of the wires and apply custom LODs to both models (the pylon and the wires). ;)

You could make the pylon itself a prop, and add a "base" model as the main "building".
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Buzzit

so i finally have that figured out and not an hour later the other problem arises...

the problem is that for some reason i can't have any transparant base textures anymore.. even if i delete them with the lot editor in pim-x. did i miss an update or something?? it really bugs me as i am almost done with this set(finally. i want to create some new stuff to instead of editing old stuff lol)

and something else. is it possible to change this brick texture into a concrete one?
that would be pretty helpfull as some pylons(aspecially bigger ones) are build on concrete surfices.

for the people who are going to ask 'why arent you making them fully slope supportive' wel.. i tryed it but i just cant figure it out.. im not that good with codes and computer stuf anyways. and i really want to model some other types to. This is the best i can do. and i hope you guys will like them even with this little unrealistic way of putting it in game.

hope you guys can help me out. its only a matter of anwsers and +/- 2 hours to completion

Houstonkid

vortext

Quote from: Buzzit on April 09, 2012, 09:00:47 AM
so i finally have that figured out and not an hour later the other problem arises...

the problem is that for some reason i can't have any transparant base textures anymore.. even if i delete them with the lot editor in pim-x. did i miss an update or something?? it really bugs me as i am almost done with this set(finally. i want to create some new stuff to instead of editing old stuff lol)

and something else. is it possible to change this brick texture into a concrete one?
that would be pretty helpfull as some pylons(aspecially bigger ones) are build on concrete surfices.

for the people who are going to ask 'why arent you making them fully slope supportive' wel.. i tryed it but i just cant figure it out..

As for the not-so-transparant texture problem, have you opened the lot in the Reader yet? Chances are there's still a texture on the lot that won't show in the PIM. This happens from time to time and is quite annoying indeed.

To get rid of the building foundation, open the DESC file with the Reader and change the 'building foundation' property to read 0x194B1000.

Maxis also has a concrete foundation but I can't find the overview with all the foundation IDs which I'm sure is out there, somewhere. .  ::)

If you're interesed in creating custom foundations though, download the NDEX texture pack. It also contains a file which contains foundations and retaining walls which you can use as a starting point.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Lowkee33

To add, the size of the foundation is the occupant size, so you can play around with this too.

Quote from: vortext on April 12, 2012, 10:09:33 AM
If you're interesed in creating custom foundations though, download the NDEX texture pack. It also contains a file which contains foundations and retaining walls which you can use as a starting point.

Thats where I got my start, though you should also check if you can change the Group ID of the foundation exemplars.

Buzzit

As for the not-so-transparant texture problem, have you opened the lot in the Reader yet? Chances are there's still a texture on the lot that won't show in the PIM. This happens from time to time and is quite annoying indeed.

To get rid of the building foundation, open the DESC file with the Reader and change the 'building foundation' property to read 0x194B1000.

well the funny things is i tryed this but i still see the concrete standard texture. what is causing this weird problem? its getting a pretty annoying one to.  >:(

anyways thanks all the help people give is very appriciated.

Quote from: Lowkee33 on April 12, 2012, 10:56:08 AM
To add, the size of the foundation is the occupant size, so you can play around with this too.

Thats where I got my start, though you should also check if you can change the Group ID of the foundation exemplars.

thanks for the occupant size suggestion! thats something i didnt know and is really helpfull!  :)

i will also look into the custom foundations as this can be really helpfull  :)

pyrointheshadows

Is it just me or is that automated "brick" texture that appears on anything on a slope look disgusting?  ()what() Grant you I am not a Modder or a BATter; I only consult with my knowledge of real-world pylons and electrical grids; but can't that particular in-game base texture be replaced with a concrete-like texture? I can't picture anything that it looks realistic in - yet another Maxis anomaly that doesn't sit well IMO  &mmm

Buzzit

Quote from: pyrointheshadows on April 17, 2012, 10:43:00 PM
Is it just me or is that automated "brick" texture that appears on anything on a slope look disgusting?  ()what() Grant you I am not a Modder or a BATter; I only consult with my knowledge of real-world pylons and electrical grids; but can't that particular in-game base texture be replaced with a concrete-like texture? I can't picture anything that it looks realistic in - yet another Maxis anomaly that doesn't sit well IMO  &mmm
yeah thats something i asked my self to.. why didn't they use a concrete texture in the first place.
its also pretty confusing to figure this all out. i'm allready really pleased with the change in the occupant size wich really is a diffrence  .`

this is what i have sofar. im pretty pleased with the overal result. and i accually like the wireless idea more than i thought i would.
I probably going to make for every set i make a wireless one to.

pyrointheshadows

Quote from: Buzzit on April 19, 2012, 04:10:24 PM

yeah thats something i asked my self to.. why didn't they use a concrete texture in the first place.
its also pretty confusing to figure this all out. i'm allready really pleased with the change in the occupant size wich really is a diffrence  .`

*Image Omited*
this is what i have sofar. im pretty pleased with the overal result. and i accually like the wireless idea more than i thought i would.
I probably going to make for every set i make a wireless one to.

I like it so far. the wireless ones would be useful for slopes. Even in the desert I live in, just an hour or two drive north and there is mountains and forest. There are so much trees that I can't even see the wires unless i stare hard and even then i still sometimes cannot see them. So the wireless ones would be useful for slopes.

Keep up the great work, buzzit:thumbsup: &apls

MandelSoft

Maybe the base could be a little smaller (10-15%). Then they would be absolutely perfect :thumbsup:
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

RickD

Those look really great. Playing on a mountainious region I am really looking forward on having some nice wireless power poles.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Buzzit

thats true indeed! i really like the way it looks! this week i was on a school trip to Paris. and i could really see the resemblence with simcity now! 
i think i will make alot of people happy with this pack :)

im currently busy with the diagonals! so stay  tuned all. if i put alot of efford in this it could be ready for sunday  :)

noahclem

The new foundation size is much better  &apls  I think the wireless option is a great idea as well  :thumbsup:

Buzzit

glad you guys like them so far :)!

i have to say that my time for modeling is getting a bit more limited since i started another project for the 'hoogspanningsforum' (hightensionforum) wich is a website dedicated about the dutch powergrid. it has alot of information and gadgets about the powerlines in holland.(unfortunately its still in dutch.)

but anyway, the people of that website created a gridcard wich shows the powerlines in holland. Someone in belgium created a 3D line with alot of detail. and i'm planning to do the same for Holland. Its accually a massive project but since im going to model models wich going to use transparant textures the modeling time will be arround 15 minutes or less.

I don't quit on this project. but it will take some more time now to finish stuf. Aspecially wired packs since the rendering of the wires takes massive amounts of time.

more information about all this will come in the future!

Buzzit

Buzzit

front-page updated! 80% of the set completed! estimated release date this week!

Don't forget to check it out on regular basis as its updated on a weekly basis  :thumbsup:

Buzzit

'good new everyone!  :thumbsup:' said professor farnsworth

The set has been completed! every pole is in game and working!  $%Grinno$%

the only things i have to do is creating an installer and some minor occupant size fixing.

But there's one thing that bothers me and i hope you guys can help. How can i get rid of those road asking symbols? the ending act as powerplants offcourse so they still demand a proper road. How can you get rid of it? like some of the windmill plops. Or is that because they are windmills?

thanks in advance!

peter007

Nice poles. They're highly detailed. I like the colors very much.
I thought that you could change the road acces in Ilives Reader or Pim-X. But I'm not sure.

-Ernst

Buzzit

checked them both with some editing.
unfortunately without any luck.

i might just release it as it is now and in the meantime just  learn more by experience. i can allways create a hot fix to fix the problem

kelis

Great job once again with the poles ! indeed the colors are so good and realistic, great job my friend !!
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||