• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

GIMP help... adjusting opacity of a selected area (is it possible?)

Started by justinrpg, December 07, 2010, 01:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinrpg

is it possible to adjust the opacity of a selected area selected from the lasso tool... i need to lasso i piece of one image to move it to another, but it needs to be adjusted so you can see through it a little... if this is possible with GIMP, can someone let me know how to... i have moderate to low experience with GIMP... i have made quite a few photo manips...but i would like to make one where a specific object you can see through...

mattb325

I believe it is. I have mocked a very very very quick image from a pic on my computer.

1) I have used the free select tool to roughly trace the outline of the tower and copied that selection.

2) I have then opened a new blank image and pasted the copied image.

3) On the new image, under Layer->Transperency I have used the Colour to Alpha selection and chosen the appropriate colour (in this instance a brown, but just select the predemoninant colours in your image to replicate this step). If necessary I repeat this and select different colours until I get what I want.

4) I then paste this back into the main image and save.

Now I have two ugly towers, just one is see-through. If you wanted to overwrite the original image you would change step 1) from copy to cut

I am sure there are many other ways to achieve these sorts of results, so I would recommend experimentation: also I only took 1 minute or two on this, if I was going to do something properly, I would spend a lot more time on the image etc....

justinrpg

can you also make it 50% opacity part see through part not. basically all i need to do after that is to adjust the opacity percent (%) to my liking