• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gugu3

Great to see you back with this project! :D :D :D

kelis

That's crazy !! I can't wait to se more  &apls &apls
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

Noahclem, in case you are willing to make your own lots, I have a suggestion for you: I frequently make my own seawalls with a wall prop found in the CSX Mega Props Vol 4. I believe its name is WFK_CSX_Wall_16x32m_Classic_Stone. To do that, you need to create a 1x1 lot and change the value of the LotConfigPropertyMaxSlopeBeforeLotFoundation to 0 to make sure that the lot creates a foundation at any height. Then place the seawall at the outer limits of the lot to cover the foundation graphics.

Advantages:
* Modular seawall system
* Can be placed at any height difference, from 0.1 m to 30.0 m, without looking odd or the slope breaking through the retaining wall.
* You can place any other prop on the lot itself, it won't just "sink into the concrete".

Disadvantages:
* You are limited to orthogonals - or zigzag diagonals.
* Tricky to place, especially the outer corner piece. You must place pedmall pieces above AND below the slope to make sure it doesn't terraform on its own when placing your lots.
* You can't place it on water (unless you lower the sealevel, place the lots and then raise the sealevel again).

The link:

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=462

vortext

Ditto the CSX seawalls suggestion and iirc there're walls found in vol 4 and 7 as well. The packs also contains various railings and neat little stairs, which together make for nice waterfront lots (for example  :)). At any rate, the CSX packs are recommended.

Quote from: 11241036 on October 26, 2015, 12:16:10 PM
Then place the seawall at the outer limits of the lot to cover the foundation graphics.

Better yet, change the building foundation to 0x194B0000 (in both lot & building desc). It's an invisible foundation so you can place the seawalls anywhere. If you see a black gap appear when you plop the lot, simply toggle the zone view on/off and things will look right again.

Great work on the interchange btw, looking forward to more pictures from the new region!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

manga rivotra

Great to see activity on the HoF this last days, and i hope to see more of you.  :)
About your question i m' a little late, but i've found 2 platforms prop that maybe interest you :
a classic included in the following file at sim city kurier :

http://kurier.simcityplaza.de/details.php?file=1037

and a more modern and more modular on STEX.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/23748-modular-commuter-station-platforms/

I hope it will be useful.

Dantes

Bripizza -> transport -> scroll down
http://www.bripizza.net/sc4/

art128

Like every year, November is the month of SC4Devotion's birthday. This time again let us enjoy a fantastic 4 in 1 Of Special Interest This Month event, starting with Siilijoki for the first week! Congratulations on your fifth award, Noah!

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

noahclem

Thanks a ton for all the support everyone and of course for the opportunity to do another OSITM!! I've been working on a bunch of stuff for OSITM but haven't done as much planning as far as how to present it, and am also way behind on replies to all those lovely comments. I want to at least post something before I go to bed after the first day and will try to follow up with something more polished tomorrow :)

Here's an view of the current state of the area around the picture shown in the last update. It will be the city's transport backbone and no other areas of the region will have near as dense a collection of roads and rails.

Besides the highways and roads the intersection the rails have passenger (heavy), freight, high-speed, and trams (light rail). Not sure whether freight should be able to use the heavy rail bridge of if it should cross elsewhere if necessary. Rail yards and seaport connections are also planned.

Wondering what I should do about GLR crossings for the river. Seems unrealistic to have separate bridges for all three rail network types but a tunnel in this area doesn't seem too realistic either and a TIR bridge wouldn't really fit in either. Is it possible to modify bridges to function for multiple rail network types?

I'm considering the red cantilever bridge instead of the green truss one for the heavy rail here. The main disadvantage is the lack of an elevated version of that bridge and I also worry it distracts from the HSR suspension bridge.

Here's what the whole tile currently looks like. The side of the river at bottom is where the city center is planned. It's supposed to be European in style and not overly big, appearing something like a city of around 500,000 people. I'm hoping to make a smaller "old city" with narrower roads, older buildings, etc.

Will post more maps shortly but this rather outdated one is the only one I have handy:

Hope you enjoyed!!

Gugu3

Great!can't wait to see some more development :thumbsup:

Thanks, glad you liked it!

-Noah

Girafe

That s lot of ways  :P

Yeah, I tend to go a little crazy with transportation stuff :D  Thanks for the comment :)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

art128

That's some massive planification going on there. Can't wait to see what that city is going to look like. I'd say keep the red bridge.

Thanks Arthur! Sounds like the red bridge is the way to go--wish there was an elevated version though.

-Noah

Props & Texture Catalog

feyss

Looks like an ambitious project, can't wait to see more  :thumbsup:

I would say use the red bridge too, and maybe use the green one in place of the other red bridge to avoid repetition.

Thank you! I was thinking the same, at least that the two bridges shouldn't be the same type.

-Noah

Themistokles

It looks like you're really making the most of the new features of the NAM 33! Nice planning and as always it fits together nicely :thumbsup: I am just wondering, though, aren't there just a little too many lanes on those motorways for a city of just 500 000 inhabitants, at least by European standards?

Thank you :) Yeah, definitely enjoying the new NAM! Just added Flextrack yesterday and it's mindblowing. You're right about the motorways, at least in the area of the big interchange. I've been trying hard not to over-engineer transit systems, especially RHW, but after building that way so long it's tricky to change. My general plan is to have around 3 lanes per direction on the motorways in the urban area and 2 per direction further out. Will elaborate more in future updates.

-Noah
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

compdude787

Looks nice! It reminds me of this interchange that you made in your original Siilijoki region. I'm curious to see what you do on the other side of the river from that interchange! It looks like you have a start to another interchange over there.

Thanks! Forgot about how much I liked how that interchange turned out--especially with the tile border running through it :D What I'm planning for the other side is just to distribute all those lanes of motorway traffic into surface streets in a way that doesn't overwhelm their capacity. I remember coming up with a plan for it that I was pretty happy with but now I seem to have lost it. I was thinking something with flex-fly and those two sit there because I was confirming they would function in that close alignment. I'm thinking split the 5 highway lanes into 3 2-lane highways and probably widen them to OWR3 before they reach their first at-grade intersections. The most interesting challenge is that I want to use Terraformer to lower the land level at the bridge approaches so they'll appear elevated instead of having earthen approaches.

-Noah
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

noahclem

Just a little bit to show for today. Did some messing around trying to find the bridge models in the first SC4 dat but couldn't quite get it figured out. Did switch the bridge discussed in the last one from the green truss to the red cantilever and did a little work on bridge approaches. Took this little pic of the city center from Terraformer and sketched in a rough version of the current rail plan:

And here's the most current version of the region plan, created in Inkscape using and image from Mapper:
click

From a little earlier, what do you think of the seawall options? I really prefer the walls that are vertical and want something industrial or plain looking which between the two criteria might disqualify about everything currently available  &mmm

NBVC Marina:

Looks great but requires very deep water to look good and leaves a gap between the wall and most boats

BSC Seaports, placed at around 4m above sealevel

Pretty happy with this one but am annoyed about the land behind the quays being lower than quays themselves.

Will be back with more tomorrow :)

Gugu3

I quite like the bsc seaport walls to be honest... :)

feyss

Personally, I prefer the NBVC marina. The only problem is this little fence that I don't find realistic for an industrial area.

For the BSC seaports, I also find this difference of level annoying.

Maybe, the best idea is to use both of them to have diversity but the problem would be the transition.

Whatever, it's a great idea to build the city center with the haven on the same map  :thumbsup:

art128

Choosing seawalls is always a delicate matter because there is no perfect seawall. If it were my creation, I'd use several style according to the different area you're working on.

Props & Texture Catalog

vinlabsc3k

I like the new map and development, &apls but it is "unrealistic" for the tracks (on the left in the image) to climb a hill in such a short space.

For the seawall you can use the NBVC one for the old part of the port and the BSC one for the new part on the island
or if you want I've a suggestion: Pegasus CDK Industrial Set and Ferry. ;)
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

noahclem

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on November 03, 2015, 07:48:58 AM
I like the new map and development, &apls but it is "unrealistic" for the tracks (on the left in the image) to climb a hill in such a short space.

For the seawall you can use the NBVC one for the old part of the port and the BSC one for the new part on the island
or if you want I've a suggestion: Pegasus CDK Industrial Set and Ferry. ;)

Thank you for such a concrete and practical suggestion and reply! While my drawing clearly violated the lay of the land part of that was because it was quickly drawn and part is that the height of the bridges is almost as close to the tile's highest elevation as it is to sealevel. I'm also not wanting to cut off the city center from the river with rails, as I think cities like Amsterdam doing that is a mistake.

Quote from: art128 on November 03, 2015, 06:51:16 AM
Choosing seawalls is always a delicate matter because there is no perfect seawall. If it were my creation, I'd use several style according to the different area you're working on.

Thanks Arthur, I'm planning on using multiple walls, including fancier ones like JENX quai seine closer to the city center.

Quote from: feyss on November 03, 2015, 04:42:36 AM
Personally, I prefer the NBVC marina. The only problem is this little fence that I don't find realistic for an industrial area.

For the BSC seaports, I also find this difference of level annoying.

Maybe, the best idea is to use both of them to have diversity but the problem would be the transition.

Whatever, it's a great idea to build the city center with the haven on the same map  :thumbsup:

Thank you! Whichever solution I go with might require some lotting or other change but NBVC's marinas do look great and he has some very nice seaport lots of other types as well. Glad you like the harbor location :)

Quote from: Gugu3 on November 03, 2015, 04:00:58 AM
I quite like the bsc seaport walls to be honest... :)

Thank you! I like it quite a bit too. I'm thinking about trying to lower the walls with model tweaker so I can use their good looks without having that annoying detail of the land behind the quays being lower than the quays themselves ;)

I've put off posting recently, despite OSITM status, because I was trying to get my rail project into the kind of state I wanted to show. In addition to my difficulties in not overdoing highway and other infrastructure I also have a weakness for perfectionism. I'll give away a couple projects that I would otherwise wait until closer to completion but will withhold a couple things I want to improve on before sharing ;)

Part of the track between the upstream rail bridge (the one that was a red cantilever originally but is now a green truss). I used the DBE to make this section of track but modified it to not be zero slope. The "bridge" does not cross water and the area under its spans is planned to be part of a major park.

The second section is the same thing except orthogonal. I need to figure out how to attach another pylon model below the rail viaducts so they touch the ground in this kind of situation :D

As mentioned above in the replies, I've avoided an alternate railroad route due to the high elevation of the bridges (280-300m depending on substructure and other considerations) and also due to my desire not to cut off the city from its waterfront. I also don't want to disrupt the cities "ancient" core.

I'm very curious to now people's thoughts on how the bridges over the river discussed before should work. Should the rail bridge have freight traffic as well? How should I cross the river with light rail/trams?

My other big question is how the "old city" should have been located including city walls. Wondering where potential old forts should be located too. Plans sketched here: