• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Searching for resolution with post count issue, gave me a cold chill

Started by shal, December 13, 2010, 07:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shal

well, i came here to post a quick quip about an issue with my post count ... and i got a chill up my spine ... let me explain ...

ive been playing sc for years now, but just got into altering the original content a little while back when i registered to this forum. seems all the questions that i have had, or would ever have, have already been asked and answered. running a simple search in these forums yeilds an abundant amount of information and resolves any issue i have (thanks for that!!!). so ... i seem to be forever cursed with a low post count because to me, searching for an answer to a question that was already asked and answered is the right thing to do, instead of asking a question that has been asked and answered over and over again already. ive now got a couple posts in the welcome thread, a couple in the lex issue thread, and this one makes five. i looked around for a place where i could just kick back and get to know the rest of the community, and BAM ... this is what i find ... Request: A community board ... again, asked and answered ... but this time a cold chill when i found the thread closed for further discussion.

being a forum administrator myself, i understand how uncouth it is to bring up a closed topic, but mine is a bit different.

i will refrain from asking for a general discussion forum where the users can get to know each other and bs with a few laughs for the sake of the users like the other author, and instead ask for a general discussion forum for the sake of the forums themselves.

comon ... you guys are very experianced simcity players. your aware of the mechanics of supply and demand. if the community doesnt have what the inhabitants want, they leave. others come in to replace them, and they too will leave. (you have over 50,00 members, with only a couple dozen participating at any one time) seems like you would want a stable community where people want to move in and make themselves at home and stay to become a full time member of the workforce. having a little agracultural town in a vast region may be exciting for some, but the big city is what most of us thrive for. to do that in game you place plazas and flower gardens to increase population caps, in forums you plop down a general discussion forum. they both serve the same purpose. they give the community a place to get to know each other and interact so that after time they can call it home.  "$Deal"$

ps ... please dont ban me ... without a general discussion forum i promise never to post again (i see no reason too) &ops

catty

Hi shal

We already have the SC4D Neighborhood Places board found here

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=169.0

and the Matters of General Interest board found here

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=6.0

and the SC4 Community-Related board found here

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=4.0

Which should be enough to cover most subjects that you might wish to discuss

And I think you will find that if you take part in the community your post count will naturally go up, I've never worried about my post count and a good half of all my posts are in the "don't have a post count" topics.

:)
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

shal

()stsfd() well then ... im glad you guys came to your sences. lol.

my appologies ... %confuso i regret not having seen those before i stuck my foot im my mouth. those forums are more than adequate for a developing community. not to try to make excuses, but theres alot here to take in and im not used to the format.

as for post count ... its just astetics anyway.   &mmm

shal

Quote from: shal on December 13, 2010, 08:03:41 PM
()stsfd() well then ... im glad you guys came to your sences. lol.

my appologies ... %confuso i regret not having seen those before i stuck my foot im my mouth. those forums are more than adequate for a developing community. not to try to make excuses, but theres alot here to take in and im not used to the format.

as for post count ... its just astetics anyway.   &mmm
actually, the post count issue was just a reason to open up conversation and let you guys know that it seems like you got it all covered. great work

adroman

I don't think I'd use "Developing" for a community that has existed since 2003.  ::)

I think that the quality of a forum isn't measured by number of members, I think it's about how well the forum fulfills its purpose, and right now SC4D seems to be doing that... being "The Home for the Serious Player" and all. Similarly, your contribution isn't measured by posts, but rather the quality of your posts.
Many users already call SC4D "home", many teams call SC4D home (for example, the AC Team, Team Downunder, SCAG Team.) and the amount of LEX Exclusive uploads on the LEX also pays tribute to that.

If you wish to chat with members in a more casual way, many users have their MSN Messenger addresses set on public.

You'll get used to the format after a while.  :D
Adrian.
737s, Air Force, Australia... what next?

shal

Quote from: adroman on December 13, 2010, 08:18:59 PM
I don't think I'd use "Developing" for a community that has existed since 2003.  ::)

I think that the quality of a forum isn't measured by number of members, I think it's about how well the forum fulfills its purpose, and right now SC4D seems to be doing that... being "The Home for the Serious Player" and all. Similarly, your contribution isn't measured by posts, but rather the quality of your posts.
Many users already call SC4D "home", many teams call SC4D home (for example, the AC Team, Team Downunder, SCAG Team.) and the amount of LEX Exclusive uploads on the LEX also pays tribute to that.

If you wish to chat with members in a more casual way, many users have their MSN Messenger addresses set on public.

You'll get used to the format after a while.  :D
Adrian.
ohh ... i may not belong here then ... whats your definition of serious player?

Gringamuyloca

Quoteohh ... i may not belong here then ... whats your definition of serious player?

I can't speak for adroman... or anyone else for that matter.... ;)

For me , it is the respect shown to the members by the members of this community.

I don't play the game much, but I find myself stopping in here a few times a day ..or more ;D This site is my go-to reference for all things SC4, it is also a place of constant knowledge sharing as well as a site of encouragement and non-stop development on many fronts.

In some ways it is not unique in the people who visit here, but it has become unique because of the 'seriousness' of those who stay.... my 2 cents.

Happy holidays shal and all the best to you and yours in the coming year.

Cheers
Tamara

Diggis

Quote from: shal on December 21, 2010, 02:29:29 PM
ohh ... i may not belong here then ... whats your definition of serious player?

There is no belonging, or not belonging.  Serious player is anyone who likes the game and is here for the good stuff our members create.  The best way to get to know people is to post in their BAT threads, or MD's, etc.  People will slowly get to know you and you'll get to know them.  Then one day you'll find out that people you've looked up too the whole time know who you are and new people to the community know your name.  Then you'll freak out.   :shocked2: