• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Quick and Easy CUSTOM Terrain Mods

Started by flame1396, May 12, 2007, 08:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flame1396

NO modding experience required!

So you have your new cycledogg terrain mod, but uh oh! It doesn't work with your region, or you can't decide which is better, or you didn't find one you specifically like? Read on  "$Deal"$

Well here is a quick 1 step (seriously :thumbsup:) way to change it just slightly. Generally the end result is a middle ground between the 2 terrain mods.

My example is using the Missouri Breaks terrain mod and splicing some Columbus mod elements into it.

Step 1: Open the folder of the mod which you want to have most element intact of (I chose Missourri Breaks) and delete the terrain parameters file (usually about 18-19kb in size). Next copy the parameters from the other terrain mod and paste them into the one you want to keep. Delete the terrain mod you didn't want.

DONE!

You can also delete other parts of the mods as long as you replace them with corresponding parts of other cycledogg terrain mods! Make something truly yours.

I did this because with the normal Missouri Breaks mod made my region look like it had pimples :P A simple parameter swap did the job, but made it a tad greener..... Always a tradeoff.

And also note that the results wont be massively different. Sometimes just enough to make it work better with your region than it did before.
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

jeronij

This is a nice tip, but I would suggest to use it only in empty cities, becauase the parameters file affects other things like the sea level, cliffs generation, etc...  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

ExiLe

yeah, I can remember when I first got my hands on the CP terrain mod. Nothing like modifying it to correct the shorelines...
...Anyway nice tutorial, and as the man stated him self, be sure to test it on a new city ;)

take care,
...coming soon

Vario80

Thanks this is a very useful tutorial.  :thumbsup:
It's a different story when you wanted to built an own terrain mod from scratch though. I was thinking about creating an sub arctic terrain mod for my region, however i couldn't find anything useful sofar.
Avatar: Atlantic Hotel Sail City- The new landmark of Bremerhaven

flame1396

Quote from: Vario80 on July 02, 2007, 04:34:41 PM
Thanks this is a very useful tutorial.  :thumbsup:
It's a different story when you wanted to built an own terrain mod from scratch though. I was thinking about creating an sub arctic terrain mod for my region, however i couldn't find anything useful sofar.

Well.... there is a temperature parameter that dictates how high up certain textures go.... So the transition between land and snow (subarctic) could be moved up or down with some experimentation.
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.