• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Garbage...be honest now...

Started by joshua43214, August 30, 2011, 05:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmyers2043

Hi Fred

Quote from: mrbisonm on September 05, 2011, 11:54:51 AM
... I love garbage

Hands down the most unique way of doing garbage I've seen. Way to go, Fred!!!

- Jim
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

mrbisonm

cogeo, don't take it too seriously. Well, I know all about the costs, the advantages and disadvantages of doing so, it still is a game. It was a challenge to do so and it worked.

First, the garbage site is on a large tile in the midle of my region. There is nothing else than a road, rail and a highway going through. It is on flat land, separated by a river. There are no residents, commercials and Industrials growth in that tile, all there is....is garbage. Room for garbage I have about enough to furnish 3 regions like the one I have with about 2.7 million sims.
What you see on the picture is about only a third of what exactly is in that tile concerning garbage. Many more power producing stations from burning the rubbish exist and many more garbage tiles are still available, only filling about 20% of the citytile.
I will have to go back to that part and take a few more detailed pictures of that specific tile with the massive garbage disposal, if anyone is interested.

The concept is simple: ALL, and I mean ALL the garbage produced in the entire region is delivered to this exact centertile (large) which in return produces about 40 % of All power needed in the region.
Since my big Garbage burning facility BAT is still in the making, I meanwhile used one of my barns to replace the model. It looks a bit weird but it functions very well. The burning capacity is something like 8 times higher than the Maxis Rubbish Burner, and I have about 5 of them in that tile (if I remember right), meaning I burn a lot of rubbish while it produces a lot of energy that is being sold to the neighboring citytiles and so on, just as with the garbage, going from one tile to another all round the region, creating a Network of power and garbage.
Wasting space is not a problem, I know about the
corner and sidetiles having less space for the garbage, but it totally seemed useless to use the zoning to its advantage, since what I wanted is a pleasing effect for the eye.....my eye that is, since this region has not been shown anywhere.
So, what you said above, cogeo, is totally true and makes sense for a place that has limited space and is aiming for efficacity more than functional "eyecandy". I agree with you all the way that there's a better way to do so.

In the beginning it was an idea that became a test and then a challenge to do so and today I am pleased with the results and the tremendous amounts of time I spent (and still spend every time I enter one of these citytiles which have to be re-adjusted everytime) by doing so. It has become a pleasure and I am proud to have it done this way, probably the only one that did so with SC4.
Like I said before, I like garbage....lol...in SC4 that is. It looks cool and works well in different ways, although it has some bugs and some "not so real" aspects.

Right now I am burning almost as much garbage as comes in to produce electricity. Not much new garbage tiling space is being filled at the moment. But everything has to be re-adjusted, I mean every citytile that connects with another needs to accept more garbage from the neighbors and sell more power every time you play in one of them. Sometimes a pain in the "unowat". ;) But fun, and that was the main interest I had on this well executed project.

Thanks Jim, try it, it is challenging fun.... ;)

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

Silur

Hi Fred ...
Excellent and very clever work with garbage  :thumbsup:

rooker1

Very interesting indeed Fred. 
This is the same way I deal with my garbage.  One tile collects it all and dishes out some power.

Robin
Call me Robin, please.

joshua43214

I have to say, I'm loving this thread.
@mrbisonm, I tried doing that once. I hated having to constantly fix my neighbor deals. I had massive abandonment once when I didn't notice I was out of power because I was fixing some small. Honestly though, your garbage town looks so cool, I'm tempted to try it again.

Odd how my advisors are in a major rush to complain about dropped chalk, but never seem to let me know when I'm low on power or water...

thanks Terring7 for the Wal E link :)
had to have it lol

Shark7

Actually, I may have to try my hand at lotting a few new garbage type lots for my cities.  Granted I can't model to save my life, but that is the beauty of dependencies.  :)

Some to consider (native to my area):

1.  City disposal yard:  Just like my home town, has a pair of roll-offs for appliances and the like that can't go into the dumpsters, as well as a large brush pile that is run through a chipper once or twice a year.  It should actually make money for the city, as the people have to pay $5 per pickup truck load to dump.

2.  Small town recycling:  Low cost, again just a number of roll-off type dumpsters that people can take their presorted recyclables to.  Usually hauled off to the large city recycling centers 1 or 2 times per month.

3.  City services lot: Just some dump trucks, back-hoes and an office on a lot.  Once a year around my town, the city will send out crews to pick up stuff that is too big for the dumpster as a courtesy service to the community (especially the elderly).  They go by in trucks picking up anything you leave in the alley by the dumpster...furniture and appliances, etc.  This is done at no cost to the community.  Naturally it would only remove a very small amount of garbage, but basically it is just loaded up into a dump truck and taken straight to the regional dump by the city at the city's cost.

Anyway, I may try my had at it this weekend, but if someone who is actually good at lotting sees this, maybe they can get some ideas.  ;)

CahosRahneVeloza

Quote from: mrbisonm on September 05, 2011, 11:54:51 AM
... I love garbage

I wish there are a few 1x1 & 1x2 Shanty homes/shack residential lots to go with something as grand as this. That way something like these disheartening images can be re-created in-game:

Also, I apologize if these pictures might offend or would be distasteful & I definitely do not intend to bum anyone out :(

But these are actual (in real life) world scenes, people who have homes & live out life at a dump site (landfill).

mrbisonm

Quote from: CahosRahneVeloza on September 15, 2011, 04:03:01 PM

I wish there are a few 1x1 & 1x2 Shanty homes/shack residential lots to go with something as grand as this. That way something like these disheartening images can be re-created in-game:

Also, I apologize if these pictures might offend or would be distasteful & I definitely do not intend to bum anyone out :(

But these are actual (in real life) world scenes, people who have homes & live out life at a dump site (landfill).

I know these pictures are a reminder of real life situations in some countries. I have seen these in RL before in Gabon and near Mexico City and I am sure that unfortunely many other such places exist all over the world.

I am working hard on a Mega mega Modern Farm building set at the moment, but when I am finished, I just may look into this and find or create something like this above that could fit in with the available garbage lots.
I like your idea.   ;)

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

wallasey

Black Hole Waste Management, all I need!

CahosRahneVeloza

Quote from: mrbisonm on September 16, 2011, 08:05:21 PM
Quote from: CahosRahneVeloza on September 15, 2011, 04:03:01 PM

I know these pictures are a reminder of real life situations in some countries. I have seen these in RL before in Gabon and near Mexico City and I am sure that unfortunely many other such places exist all over the world.

I am working hard on a Mega mega Modern Farm building set at the moment, but when I am finished, I just may look into this and find or create something like this above that could fit in with the available garbage lots.
I like your idea.   ;)

Fred

Oh cool! :)

I'm glad you liked the idea.