• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Garbage...be honest now...

Started by joshua43214, August 30, 2011, 05:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshua43214

I play waterfront cities almost exclusively. Long ago, I started using PEG's garbage docks.

Recently I started a landlocked city, and discovered I had no method other than landfills of getting rid of garbage. I made a quick shot over to Simtropolis for a utility, and I came across a 1x1 trash can that cost 5$ a month, and got rid of all the trash on even the largest city tile. All the sudden, I remember all the things I tried to get rid of trash before I settled on the trash docks. Trash docks are at least realistic, Some cities load their trash on huge barges and send them on long trips, most of the garbage washes over the side before they reach their destination. New York had a famous barge at one point that had been at sea for almost a year back in the early 80's.

In my mind, reserving a tile with minimal landfill, and then dumping all my trash into a neighbor deal is about the same as dumping it all in a 1x1 trash can.

I am using PEG's trash chute right now (a whole line of them actually), but I have to be honest, I am about ready to get Simgoober's black hole...

So it's time to fess up folks...
How do you get rid of your trash?

Kitsune

I tend to build my cities across multiple tiles, so I tend to have all but one tile on a mod that eliminates all garbage - so none is produced. Then on one tile, I build a realistic landfill or use the garbage docks if the city has a large enough seaport.
~ NAM Team Member

jmyers2043

Hi joshua43214

I use the SFBT garbage shipping rail yard. In large cities I use several - usually one near the neighbor connections. I'll add the SimGoober waste to energy plant if three SFBT yards can't handle the load. Then the CSX rural waste to energy as it will handle a ton of stuff if I have a city of 1,000,000 or more. But the CSX plant can cause a lot of air pollution. So I'll put a SimGoober air purifier next to it. I sometimes put the Peg garbage chute next to a river and send refuse down stream or push it into a pond if I'm playing a rural city. I don't like using those 1X1 super garbage holes but that's just me I suppose.

Have fun

- Jim
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

jdenm8

I use Cogeo's incinerator and burn it. The plants last around 70 years and they're dirt cheap compared to the alternatives.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

threestooges

I've gotten some good use of the garbage docks by PEG, and like jmyers, I swear by the SFBT railyard. I think that yard is the primary means of disposal in most of my cities. Where does it go? I haven't quite figured that out yet. I think I may have one or two other garbage lots, but none that I use with any regularity. There is one lot that I know of that I've been waiting for.

Hope that helps.
-Matt

Terring7

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

joshua43214

I don't know how the trash rail yard went under my radar.

I cobbled this together for amusement... its far too expensive atm, nearly 5k.mo

I think the gas depot looks nice between the incinerators and the urban waste management lots.
I had to use the Simgoobers air cleaner, between the modern waste to energy, and the incinerators this things is a mess lol

Terring7

Have a lot of garbage? Need to deal with them, with maximum efficiency and zero environmental impacts? This is my way, a serious powerhouse!

Robotic garbage carriers drop all the garbages in a large pit.

By tubes, the garbages are transporting into picotechnological level recycle centres. By molecular fragmentation and reunification, all garbages turns into new products, like quantum computers and intelligent cars.

Then the new products are going to ship to the nearest cities by spacecrafts or underground railroads and highways.

This is the entrance of the facility. We can see the underground parking garage for the workers, as well as 2 bus stops and a subway station. The place it's a bit stinky, so the workers can have a rest in domed parks.

Bonus picture ;D

The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Architect_1077

Terring, what in the world is that and where can I dl it??  ;D

Terring7

Which one? There are a lot of stuff that I download ;D
The Choice is Ours
---

Architect_1077

Why don't you just make me a list of what mods you have there?  ;D
I recognize a couple, like the piping system or the PEG Gasification plant, but what is that garbage pit all about? Is it a single lot or a collection of lots?

Oh, and did I say that thing is really cool?  :thumbsup:

cogeo

There's no garbage solution, that is clean, cheap and realistic at the same time! But if you want to cheat... the Reader can create lots that make "wonders"... I remember a "super utility" lot by RalphaelNinja which was taking your garbage, producing electricity and water, costing peanuts, and housed in a 1x1 lot! Of course! Another known cheat is build a W2E plant and set funding to 0. The fact that Maxis allows it doesn't make it less of a cheat, you get garbage disposal services for free. Not to mention PEG's garbage chute. But a rather unknown cheat is get a neighbour city, zone some landfill, and sign a deal. Yes! It will take your garbage for pennies, because of a bug in cost calculation. The emptier the landfill the lower the rate! The actual cost must be around $3.3/ton, but it will ask you far far less. And the landfill will never get full, as long as you don't "run" that city.

At $3.3/ton, landfills are actually one of the most expensive utilities, second only to recycling centres, which in turn are badly modded. They cost $350/month, for processing some 18 tons of garbage, ie the cost is about $20/ton, which is prohibitive. So I don't use recycling centres. I was thinking of making a larger recycling centre, serving more people, for a cost of some $6-7 per tone, still the most expensive utility by far, but a viable (though expensive) option for a "green" mayor.

Any garbage disposal utility costing below $1.0/ton should rather be considered "cheaty".

j-dub

Wait, what? Did I just see Wall E's, epic win. &apls

Terring7

Quote from: Architect_1077 on August 31, 2011, 02:26:30 PMWhy don't you just make me a list of what mods you have there?  ;D
I recognize a couple, like the piping system or the PEG Gasification plant, but what is that garbage pit all about? Is it a single lot or a collection of lots?

You can get the plopable landfill from here. I also use the Hyperspace Garbage Disposal and the Biomass Power Plant from SimMars. You can get them from here.

Quote from: Architect_1077 on August 31, 2011, 02:26:30 PMOh, and did I say that thing is really cool?  :thumbsup:

Quote from: j-dub on August 31, 2011, 09:32:25 PMWait, what? Did I just see Wall E's, epic win. &apls

Yes, you saw Wall-E's ;D
The Choice is Ours
---

Architect_1077

Shark7

I can't remember exactly where I found them (take a look in the Japanese BAT section here at SC4Devotion though, because I believe they will be in there), but I found both the SC3 type incinerator and a waste to energy incinerator available and I use those on land locked lots.  It is at least a believable and realistic way to get rid of the garbage. 

There comes a point where you just can't zone enough landfill to deal with it all in game, as the garbage hangs around forever.

Also, be sure to use the maxis provided recycling center and enforce the trash presort ordnance, it helps some.

And actually, the idea of having the trash sent to a neighbor city is very realistic.  Where I live in a small town, that is exactly how we get our garbage dealt with.  People who live out in the county can simply put there trash in a 55 gallon drum barrel and burn it (though as for now with the bad drought, there is a burn ban preventing that indefinitely).

I can see a day when the whole world recycles as much as is possible.  It will be a much nicer place to live I think.  :)

CahosRahneVeloza

I'd really like to make something similar to Terring's creation but I can't find those pipelines he used. Can I ask for the item's name please?

Terring7

The Choice is Ours
---

mrbisonm

I love garbage....well, up to a point that is, because it is a RL fact and we all have the problem to manage it.

In one of my biggest regions, I play the garbage problem as it is irl. Meaning, I export it to the neighboring tile and then export it to another neighboring tile until I reach that one citytile right in the middle of my region that will be able to hold all that incoming garbage from all the other cities. Which of course makes it enormous and quite interesting and challenging to handle and organize. IRL that is the way it functions, not every town or city has it's own garbage disposal and most of the garbage is brought to one specific place....(at least that's the way it works here in Québec/Canada)

On the picture seen below you can see some barnlike or warehouse like structures. These are custom bats and lots that I made into garbage burners and power converters which will slowly and partially burn some of the garbage, so I will not just fill up the citytile after a certain time. These of course produce power (energy) which in return will sell it's product to the neighboring citytile and so on, creating a chain of garbage/energy exchange in the whole region of 32 tiles.

Took me freaking long to calculate organize, but it was worth it, because it is an interesting gameplay which makes the game more fun to play and creating a real life situation in my SC4.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

cogeo

Oooh, what a seashore!!!  ;D

Some notes:
- Such narrow landfill stripes waste space, there are not just the streets you have between, there are the tile types too. Only the middle tile has a full capacity, the side tiles have 50% of the capacity, and the corners only 25%. For a better explanation of what is a middle, side or corner tile, hover your cusrsor over them, and you will see what I mean. They are not less efficient (economically) though, because maintenance costs are proportional, but this IS a waste of space. In these three-tiles wide landfills, less than 1/3 of the tiles can have the highest capacity. Maybe try to aggregate some to larger "lots", only don't do this for landfills that already have garbage, because you will activate the landfill bug.
- Or, if your garbage supply is adequate, and demand for electricity in the region is high, build another W2E plant (or yours), so that some of the landfills are emptied. Btw the W2E plant (normally funded) is actually the only utility type that can make some profit, and this is again due to another... bug, because the game calculates the cost twice, ie for both the garbage disposal and electricity generation.

And a question, have you calculated the cost of operating the landfills? If my calculations are correct, it must be around $3.3 per ton. The game charges much lower rates though.