• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Slope Mod Issues

Started by Caller9, September 30, 2011, 09:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caller9

Hello all,
This has been going on for sometime and I've been trying to find a way to live with it. I've watched videos where slope mods are used and it seems to be a snap. all the roads connect and these eleborate highways are constructed. I'm not having that result. I have Ennendi's slope mod - Medium and The hole Digger and Raiser lots. I'm never quite sure which way the arrows on the raiser lots are supposed to face as the result is the same no matter which it is.  I place the lot(s) drag the road from the top to the ground and the trouble starts. The one side will be a nice smooth transition and the other side will be ok but not the same slope. The road digs in to the ground on both sides creating dips that make it extremely difficult to join roads. I've tried placing rail on each side of the planned slope before dragging with limited success. The next problem I've been having is when placing the "on slope" pieces of highway, it starts at ground level instead of on the slope and it ends up looking like a "Z". I'm sure it's something I'm missing but I have not been able to find out what it is yet. Thanks in advance for any help.

MandelSoft

Quote from: Caller9 on September 30, 2011, 09:48:12 PM
I'm never quite sure which way the arrows on the raiser lots are supposed to face as the result is the same no matter which it is.  I place the lot(s) drag the road from the top to the ground and the trouble starts. The one side will be a nice smooth transition and the other side will be ok but not the same slope. The road digs in to the ground on both sides creating dips that make it extremely difficult to join roads. I've tried placing rail on each side of the planned slope before dragging with limited success.
The arrow of the hole digging lot should face the road that's going to dig the surface. By dragging the road out of the lot or through the digging lot, it activates it's digging function. It's advised to construct them isolated from roads nearby. You might want a sudden slope on one side (for On-Slope pieces for example). Then you drag out the road in only one direction. If you want to flatten the surface nearby, construct 1x1 road tiles. These should auto-level a tile.

Quote from: Caller9 on September 30, 2011, 09:48:12 PM
The next problem I've been having is when placing the "on slope" pieces of highway, it starts at ground level instead of on the slope and it ends up looking like a "Z". I'm sure it's something I'm missing but I have not been able to find out what it is yet.
The On-Slope pieces should be placed on slopes of about 15m high (if you want them perfectly flat, they should be placed on a 15m high slope), otherwise they appear like you describe. This is how they should be used:

The slopes were created in beforehand with ground lifter lots. and I dragged them out on only one side.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Caller9

Thanks for the quick reply! I am always impressed by the responses and help from this site! I've always been able to get useful information in short order. I did try the "15 high" .. yep, that was my problem. I must have missed the memo on that. I thought any would work. Reread the instructions for slope mod. I see where the "dip" is mentioned. Not sure how to correct it yet though but I'm off to do some sloping!
Thanks again!

noahclem

Glad you were able to sort things out! I just thought I'd offer one thing on your slope mod "dips". They only occur with Ennedi's slope mods, so your easiest option would be to switch to a different one (I've always been a fan of the BRF [Big Red Fish] one on Simtrop). Ennedi's do create some pretty-looking graceful slopes though in a way that no others can, which is actually the cause of the "dips". His slope mods have a maximum change in slope from one tile to the next so once you reach the bottom of a hill it can't suddenly go flat and therefore digs a hole. The easiest way to get around this is to start dragging from the bottom of slope instead of the top.

Good luck  :thumbsup:

ScottFTL

With Ennedi's slope mods, the roads will dig into the terrain sometimes.  The problem is fully explained in the readme.  After you raise or lower the terrain, switch to another network like street or rail to smooth the transition.  You can bulldoze and replace with road once you have a good slope.