• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Pense; Quite Some Time Has Passed

Started by WannGLondon, January 16, 2012, 08:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mave94

It looks great! You are doing a fantastic job on those rowhouses. Downtown Pense looks great, too. Anyway, keep it up! :thumbsup:

WannGLondon

Quote from: catty on May 18, 2012, 04:13:33 AM

Looking good as always and region shot is   :thumbsup:

my only criticism is with the parks and that's more a personal preference on my part to fill up all the empty spaces with ploppable parks and woods like this one;

QuoteTypical of the many sprawling houses estates developed from the 1980s onwards in Britain, this small wooded pathway offers a haven for wildlife and a safe way for children of getting around the estate without having to negotiate busy roads.

http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/11497-suburban-wood/

-catty
I gotcha, but I think I would rather just remove the grid, because when I place a park in an open space, the elevation change and terrain do not show up as well, thanks though.

Quote from: vortext on May 19, 2012, 10:31:16 AM
Amazing to see how fast Pense is expanding!  &apls

Love the burbs as always, though the pics themselves seems compressed a bit too much. And you might want to turn of the grid (press 'g') when you take them. Pet peeve really  ;)

Looking forward to the next update, keep it up  :thumbsup:
Yeah, I do not know what's up with the compression, but the grid will be removed next time, thanks.

Quote from: cmdp123789 on May 19, 2012, 11:56:05 AM
I liked the update... pics were too compressed but that doesnt damage the essence of the picture itself. I like the expansion... and you add a couple new buildings to the downtown area which is good, I mean not because you have to fill everything with towers, but because now you have a well defined downtown.

I like also the rails in Pense... and what  you did with the seawalls next to the RHW... good effect
Thank you Criss.

Quote from: nbvc on May 20, 2012, 12:26:40 AM
Nice work. I like the row homes. :thumbsup:
Thank you, thank you.

Quote from: apeguy on May 20, 2012, 06:49:37 AM
Great update, although I would suggest turning the grid off first. ;)

Looking forward to what's next! ;D ;D
Thank you and sure thing!

Replies from last post;

Quote from: kelis on May 24, 2012, 01:56:58 PM
Beautiful region view my friend !! Are you thinking about to do some zones inspired in the financial districts of London?
I think London has one of the best financial districts in Europe it would be so great see them in your region ! As you know you've got a lot of buildings from Canary wharf or the City [ Square Mile ] so you can make your own Financial district.

Great job as always my friend, Keep up the good workd  :thumbsup:
Thank you my friend!

Quote from: cmdp123789 on May 25, 2012, 11:10:05 AM
Looking good buddy... Although making the airport that close to the city?? I thought it would expand a little more... But I like the overall its amazing!!! I am so jealous right now... I havent had any time to play sc4 for the last probably 2 to 3 weeks... I think I opened the game once... and then I see this! GOD! I wish I could play at the same pace as you hahaha ()stsfd()
Ahahah  yeah I am a bit obsessed, thank you bud.

Quote from: catty on May 25, 2012, 01:12:26 PM
Quote from: cmdp123789 on May 25, 2012, 11:10:05 AM
Looking good buddy... Although making the airport that close to the city?? I thought it would expand a little more...

that's how it looks in real life, see this map

http://www.mapsofworld.com/united-kingdom/london-city-map.html

looks good   :thumbsup:
Thanks  ;)haha.

Quote from: MrMAvE94 on May 26, 2012, 12:43:57 AM
It looks great! You are doing a fantastic job on those rowhouses. Downtown Pense looks great, too. Anyway, keep it up! :thumbsup:
Thank you, thank you.

Another update.

Today I would like to present you all with some pictures from the older parts of the city. Realize, these images are from present-day Pense, but the locations are from older parts of the city.

Starting off on the south bank, in Lemgate, here is the Lemgate Power Station. This power station may be the newest building in the next few images, but no matter, it is 'old' in today's standards. It was constructed in 1927 on the site of and old cemetary. Certain protective agencies were not too happy about this fact, but comissioners of the power station promised to dig up all plots, and move them to a more prestigous cemetary located to the south of the city.

Next we have the St. Barhigh Cathedral. This cathedral was built in the 1400s and has served the communities of Lemgate and Cross Haven for hundreds of years. It was once Pense's largest church but was surpassed by St. Corring in 1502. This church is still adored by the community and is a favorite vantage point for tourists wanting to see gorgeous downtown Pense.

Still on the south bank, we have Cross Haven Train Terminal. This terminus was built in 1789 and serves all of southern Pense and is one of the city's busiest terminals. It has been the site of many historical events, including the safe house from Pense's Great Fire of 1832.

Towards the southern edge of the central area we have some homes built in the 1800s. These homes are quite modestly priced, even though they are historical wonders themselves. These homes have survived everything that has plagued the city. They are definitely gems of the city.

Next we have Seward Circus, an entrance to the central area since the 1600s. Of course, back in the 1600s, it was about the size of a Burger King. Now, Seward Circus is a largely congested intersection that provides a cool entrance to the southern edge of the central area. The rail bridge running through the middle of it was built in 1850 and is my favorite part of the whole round-a-bout.

Moving across the river we find ourselves at The Tower. This building has served as a city hall, a church, a secret society and today, it functions as a museum. It was built in 1655 and is a jewel of the "North End" as southern Pensites call it.

Just north of The Tower are the Bow rows, These row homes are extremely old and very delicate, one could say. These homes are checked every year for safety simply because of the age of them. They are currently home to a large foreign-born population, hoping to make their lives a success in the grand city of Pense.

Here we have Wayvare Hall, which houses Pense's government. It was originally a palace built in 1709, but then converted in 1750 when the palaces owner was found mysteriously dead in the nearby LaRoujse River. The hall stands over the embankment and is surrounded by various government buildings and offices. It is also nearby to some embankment gardens that have wonderful views up and down the river.

And of course, I had to include one of my favorite parts of the city, Bank Court. Bank Court started out in 1230 as a large square with various market stalls and peddlers. It is perhaps one of the parts of the city that has changed the most. It is now the marker of Central Pense, from which all distances are measured. It is now surrounded by many 'royal exchange' offices and banks and what not.

Lastly, we have some glamorous row homes in the north-western area. These terraces were built in the 1750s and have wonderful views of the central area from their back windows. These homes are very expensive, and half of them are used as embassies of smaller hotel-apartments.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this update, sorry about the compression of the images, I do not know how this is happening. As always, please leave comments or criticism below.
Call me Warren.

cmdp123789

OH YEAH! I was a bit surprised at first... I like the pictures... well recreated, I saw canals... are there canals in the city of PENSE??? ??? anyways... glad to see another update! Oh... and I found some time for our little project, so I started a couple streets... nothing really fancy  &sly

I was hoping anold region view for the end... but I guess the mayor didnt find any at the museum... No registry of old Pense's region...? you should check if the people working for history an preservation department are doing their jobs...  :D

catty

Quote from: cmdp123789 on June 05, 2012, 01:33:03 PM
...I saw canals... are there canals in the city of PENSE???...

The one thing London and I'm assuming Pense is the same is having lots of canals as they were the means of transporting freight around the city and out into the countryside, they were also used for moving rubbish from the city like the Grosvenor Canal in London.

Anyway great pictures they really do look like they were taken years ago  &apls

-catty

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

RickD

I like this large roundabout with the elevated rail.  :thumbsup:
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

vortext

Nice going, I like the churches and Wayvare Hall, curious to see the latter in the present day (you know, in colour ;)). Bank Court is my favourite pic as well though, somehow the intersection got this metropole grandeur to it.  :thumbsup:

ps; you've got mail  :)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

apeguy

Nice update, I like the idea of looking back to what Pense looked like all those years ago. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

WannGLondon

OH YEAH! I was a bit surprised at first... I like the pictures... well recreated, I saw canals... are there canals in the city of PENSE??? ??? anyways... glad to see another update! Oh... and I found some time for our little project, so I started a couple streets... nothing really fancy  &sly

I was hoping anold region view for the end... but I guess the mayor didnt find any at the museum... No registry of old Pense's region...? you should check if the people working for history an preservation department are doing their jobs...  :D
Ahahha yeah yeah yeah my friend. Check this quick update out  ;)

Quote from: catty on June 06, 2012, 04:12:29 AM
...I saw canals... are there canals in the city of PENSE???...

The one thing London and I'm assuming Pense is the same is having lots of canals as they were the means of transporting freight around the city and out into the countryside, they were also used for moving rubbish from the city like the Grosvenor Canal in London.

Anyway great pictures they really do look like they were taken years ago  &apls

-catty

You bet! Canal shots will be coming soon! Thanks Cathy.

Quote from: RickD on June 06, 2012, 04:13:14 AM
I like this large roundabout with the elevated rail.  :thumbsup:
Glad you like it, one of my favorite parts.  ()stsfd()

Quote from: vortext on June 06, 2012, 01:59:21 PM
Nice going, I like the churches and Wayvare Hall, curious to see the latter in the present day (you know, in colour ;)). Bank Court is my favourite pic as well though, somehow the intersection got this metropole grandeur to it.  :thumbsup:

ps; you've got mail  :)
Love that Bank Court! Thanks my friend.

Quote from: apeguy on June 06, 2012, 05:07:31 PM
Nice update, I like the idea of looking back to what Pense looked like all those years ago. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Yessir! Thanks Alex.

Another update.

Just a quick region shot for all of my 'fans' haha. I'd personally like to thank the members that have kept up with my updates and always commenting, including Criss, Alex, Raphael, Cathy, Vortext, Jonathan and Nbvc. Thank you all so much, your comments drive me into improving and expanding Pense.

Anyway, I've added Canton Resovoir in the West, based off of Brent Resovoir in London. Also, St. George Hill Park is completed with beautiful terraces sweeping the eastern side of it. And my suburbs are getting close to Callomine Int'l.

Call me Warren.

catty

Quote from: WannGLondon on June 08, 2012, 12:53:55 PM
...Just a quick region shot for all of my 'fans' haha. I'd personally like to thank the members that have kept up with my updates and always commenting, including Criss, Alex, Raphael, Cathy, Vortext, Jonathan and Nbvc. Thank you all so much, your comments drive me into improving and expanding Pense.

first of all the region shot   ()stsfd()  and second   :thumbsup:  its a great MD

Cathy
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

vortext

I've said it before and I'll say it again; amazing pace of expansion!  &apls

As for being a fan; it's actually envy that keeps me coming back haha. Seriously though, it's great to see someone having a go at a decent size city which stretches multiple tiles. Something I still intend to do myself but somehow I always get sidetracked  ::)
time flies like a bird

RickD

I did a quick comparison with an older one from the first Pense and I must say that this is a great improvement. I mean, I liked the old one already, but this is a whole new level.
My name is Raphael.

cmdp123789

Excellent! I really enjoyed the region update... didnt realized it was so big... I mean... this is getting better and better... and I see a downtown that resembles the city in London... so I would say that the recreation is excellent... keep it up Warren, I really like your updates!

Oh... I forgot... did you thank me because of following you? no no... I thank you for giving me and the rest of the viewers the chance to share your work and time  &apls

noahclem

Your region views are always top-notch  &apls  Great work on the last updates!! Keep it up  :thumbsup:

WannGLondon

Quote from: catty on June 08, 2012, 07:07:21 PM
Quote from: WannGLondon on June 08, 2012, 12:53:55 PM
...Just a quick region shot for all of my 'fans' haha. I'd personally like to thank the members that have kept up with my updates and always commenting, including Criss, Alex, Raphael, Cathy, Vortext, Jonathan and Nbvc. Thank you all so much, your comments drive me into improving and expanding Pense.

first of all the region shot   ()stsfd()  and second   :thumbsup:  its a great MD

Cathy
Thanks Cathy  :)

Quote from: vortext on June 10, 2012, 06:22:10 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again; amazing pace of expansion!  &apls

As for being a fan; it's actually envy that keeps me coming back haha. Seriously though, it's great to see someone having a go at a decent size city which stretches multiple tiles. Something I still intend to do myself but somehow I always get sidetracked  ::)
Hahah thank you. That means a lot.

Quote from: RickD on June 12, 2012, 02:43:56 AM
I did a quick comparison with an older one from the first Pense and I must say that this is a great improvement. I mean, I liked the old one already, but this is a whole new level.
Thanks Raphael.

Quote from: cmdp123789 on June 17, 2012, 06:23:52 PM
Excellent! I really enjoyed the region update... didnt realized it was so big... I mean... this is getting better and better... and I see a downtown that resembles the city in London... so I would say that the recreation is excellent... keep it up Warren, I really like your updates!

Oh... I forgot... did you thank me because of following you? no no... I thank you for giving me and the rest of the viewers the chance to share your work and time  &apls
Thanks buddy. Long time no talk, I've missed ya!

Quote from: noahclem on June 18, 2012, 04:53:03 AM
Your region views are always top-notch  &apls  Great work on the last updates!! Keep it up  :thumbsup:
Thanks so much, Noah.

Another update.

Today I would like to present you all with the wonderful squares of Pense that make the city and unique and green place to live. London is famous for its romantic squares and its large green trees inside of them, so I have tried to resemble them as best as I could.

Just north of the financial district is Wolburn Market. The market sits on Wolburn Square which is one of the first squares to populate the city. On the north side we see Wolburn Hall which used to be used as a courthouse, but was converted in 1899 to house shops. Wolburn Market is quite crowded on weekends and is a popular tourist destination, especially for the vast amount of flowers being sold.

Very close to the financial district, we have Downing Square. This square is arguably one of the most romantic squares in the city. This square used to require a key from anyone living in the financial district area, but was opened to the public in 1867. On the northern side of the square are exclusive terraces, owned by rich bankers, and on the west side of the square, is St. Norvath Church.

In the southern central area, we have some embankment gardens that provide a tranquil refuge for many government workers, since this area is spotted with government buildings, like the Department of Health and Department of Recreation.

Even further south, we have a suburban square surrounded by middle class worker's homes. These homes are some of the most popular in Pense, with nice gardens and always friendly neighbors.

Moving to the west, we find ourselves at Canton Square. This square is a frequent destination for artists and hippies alike. Canton is still known as the 'weird' area, with eclectic mixes of people and ethnic markets supplying Pense's minority population with their native foods. It is truly a wonderful area, with the square being the focal point. In the past, it has been the site of many rallies and protests. Overlooking the square is the Callinger Communication Tower, which provides views of the entire metro area.

West of Canton and north of Mayvale Park we have just an older neighborhood, with tall, public housing projects. Here is where most of Canton's struggling artists live, unfortunately.

Northwest of Canton we have St. George Church. It is a gorgeous church sitting on Westhill that looks over the central area, and is open to the public 5 days a week. Many locals take the stairs up to its observation deck, but the observation deck is a well kept secret for locals, so keep quiet.

Lastly, we have Farley Square, in the St. George Hill neighborhood. This neighborhood is very exclusive and is home to many socialites and businessmen.

And of course, could not leave you all without a region view. I do not believe much has changed, but I believe it is part of my update policy now to not leave you all without a region view.  :P

I would also like to mention that this is my last update before I leave for Europe. I'm going to be in Barcelona, and from there I am getting on a cruise that will take me to Monaco, many parts of Italy, Greece and Istanbul. Hopefully I will come back with more inspiration for my future city building. I will be off for about 2-3 weeks, starting Wednesday and I will miss you all. As always, leave comments or criticism below.
Call me Warren.

woodb3kmaster

These squares are really lovely. Great work on them! Might I ask where those terraces above Downing Square are from?

Enjoy your trip! It sounds like that won't be hard, though. :D

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

RickD

Very nice parks. You haven't overdone it with too many props, which makes them very realistic.

Have fun on the cruise. I am a bit jealous now.  ;)
My name is Raphael.

kelis

Beautiful update once again ! As always I like so much the region view and of course the others pictures are great, also I like that TV tower it looks so good my friend !!

Enjoy your cruise  :)
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

vortext

Nice update, the courts and parks in London are an attraction in their own right and you did good job recreating them  :thumbsup:

The cruise sounds like fun, have a good time!
time flies like a bird

noahclem

Great update  &apls  You've done a very nice job with the open spaces. Enjoy your vacation  :thumbsup:

apeguy

Brilliant, I love the variety of all the different squares, and as always I love the region shot. :thumbsup:

Enjoy your Cruise! ;D ;D

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy