• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BIG Simcity fan but more than a little confused :-$

Started by vistravi, March 13, 2012, 01:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vistravi

I've been a Simcity fan for years, Spent many an hour with the 2D version when I was younger  ()stsfd() that takes me back.

Spent a bit of time with 2K but wasn't really a fan

Got back into it on 3K and loved it.

When SC4 was released I had it on pre-order and have played it on and off for many years. It's one of those games I keep picking up when I've sold all the others on amazon.

The less I mention about societies the better (pre ordered that too, what a disappointment  :thumbsdown: )

Always on the PC from day one, never tried Simcity on a mac (is there much difference?)

Toyed around with the EA lot sharing a few years ago and reached limitations on creating realistic cities and kinda went off it last year.

I've just picked up the game again this month and couldn't find the lot exchange by EA and found myself here.

>:( I'm SO ANGRY at myself for not finding you guys earlier!  >:(

I'm also completely overwhelmed by all the content and which bits go where and what to load first and how it all works!

It's been quite a steep learning curve and I have some stuff in hand;

I put in all the base installers and updated the game. 

I've installed the AMAZING SC4MAPPER (I cannot thank wouanagaine enough for it. I spent YEARS soldiering on without it!)

I've also put in NAM system in and looks great (another piece of the puzzle I've been wanting for so long) but as yet I've not really had the time to experiment with it.)

Cleanitool is another essential that I'm sure I will make great use of.

I see some of the screen shots uploaded by members and the difference between what can be done what I've got is like chalk and cheese!

I figured out that prop packs are the foundations and everything else is dependant on them now I'm lost in a sea of packs and updates and have no idea where to start or which packs do the things I'd like to do.

I notice some of the threads I've seen dirt track roads and a tool for altering the height of land but I can't seem to find them, I'm probably looking in the wrong place (That would be so like me) ()what()

Are there any really good threads for helping people like me at this stage?

Oh, and I have seen threads on SC4D DVD? Is it still current and how would I go about getting a copy?

I'd imagine there are some content packs that are a must have for those starting to really mod the game and the essential tools for improving the gameplay. That's kind of what I need to begin with.

There are some packs I have in for Euro look, the road texture change and house lots but not much else yet. I feel like I'm starting in the middle, not at the beginning.  :-\

mtg

QuoteI'm SO ANGRY at myself for not finding you guys earlier!

that brings back memories :D

Welcome to the community! To not get overwhelmed by dependancies (like proppacks) read all readme files.
And download what you need and keep your plugin folder organized. trust me in just a few months your plugin folder will be loaded!

vistravi

At least I'm not alone!

If anyone knows of any good threads to help me along, I'd be very glad of it.

jmyers2043

Quote from: vistravi on March 13, 2012, 01:59:22 PM
I feel like I'm starting in the middle, not at the beginning....

Good as place as any to start. Let the game be your guide. Work on a city. Thengo to the list of lists when you find yourself saying something like "Gee, I wish I had a different rail station". CasperVG did some cataloging of game assets from various web sites. 

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=6209.msg261377#msg261377

You're not alone. Other people see cool images but can't find the plugin for one reason or another. Take a screen grab of the screen grab and post in the "where can I find this" thread.

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=120.0

The LEX also has a good search tool. You'll not scroll through pages of things uninteresting to you at the moment. Searching is as simple as looking for CS low density building's, High Tech industry, transportation water, etc. Or you can search by author/creator when you find a really good bat and you say "I wonder what else he/she has done?"

Good Luck

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

vistravi

Aye, that's helped alot Jim.  ;)

For any other beginners that find this thread and want something similar to me, I've found this link to British styled buildings on the same page, just what I was after!

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=6234.0

Just one big question left and a whole load of little ones that I'll get to later.

The much talked about * SC4D DVD * Anyone shed any light on this for me?