• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Crash/stall on save...

Started by ACEfanatic02, March 07, 2013, 11:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACEfanatic02

Been getting back into the game for the first time in a while, and I've started seeing a weird crash.  Occasionally (not enough to easily reproduce, but enough to bug me) large or highly-populated cities stall on save attempts.  Music keeps playing, the cursor responds, but the game stops responding even to Alt-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Esc.  Ctrl-Alt-Del still works, however, and when I bring up Task Manager, SC4 is running at a consistent 25% CPU, maxing out it's core.  When I kill the process and restart the game, the city is back to it's previous save, and there's no sign of corruption, suggesting that the save attempt never actually registered.

What I *think* is going on is the game is busy-waiting on a deadlocked thread (the game's just the right age to have threads but use them badly).  Is there any way to lock it into using only one core?  Or, has anyone else had and solved this problem some other way?

Thanks.
日本語勉強中-最近読んだ本はこちらで見えます。
Python Enthusiast

wouanagaine

to use one core only, add -CPUCount:1 to your SC4 shortcut

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

MandelSoft

I had this once in my cities. I had to remove all farms to "uncorrupt" this city. It was very annoying...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

ACEfanatic02

Quote from: wouanagaine on March 08, 2013, 12:10:42 AM
to use one core only, add -CPUCount:1 to your SC4 shortcut
That seems to have done the trick!  Thanks, wouanagaine.
日本語勉強中-最近読んだ本はこちらで見えます。
Python Enthusiast