• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How Can I make ROUNDABOUT slip lanes?

Started by Falcon319, December 12, 2015, 07:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Falcon319

Using the first NAM roundabout. The one with no attachments that lines up smoothly with avenues. Basically, what I'm looking to do is make a slip lane that can work on this ROUNDABOUT. I have used an angled piece of road that worked, but it was two ways, and it was a terrible angle (also way too big).

I'm looking for something like this:

https://www.nh.gov/dot/org/projectdevelopment/highwaydesign/roundabouts/documents/MultilaneRoundaboutflyer.pdf

I do have RHW, NWM, etc., just can't seem to line anything up right. Any ideas? Or better yet, any specific plops?

APSMS

A picture of what you've attempted in-game would help us know where you're at in terms of in-game style/functionality.

I will see what I can whip up, but no promises.

A tab through the turbo roundabouts and Ave/MIS interface pieces may prove useful; experimentation is your best friend here.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the forums!

EDIT:

and
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Falcon319

Quote from: APSMS on December 12, 2015, 07:45:17 PM
A picture of what you've attempted in-game would help us know where you're at in terms of in-game style/functionality.

I will see what I can whip up, but no promises.

A tab through the turbo roundabouts and Ave/MIS interface pieces may prove useful; experimentation is your best friend here.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the forums!

Tried tabbing through the available ones with no luck. Tried lining up the slip lane pieces, but they're too narrow (so the roundabout gets in the way).

I'll post pictures of what I've tried tomorrow morning. But basically, it's misaligned slip lane pieces, and the other one is the 90 degree road curve piece.

EDIT

While it won't really work in SC4, this is more for RPing. In an EFFICIENT roundabout, the right slip lane is obviously for cars turning right (and yielding). The right roundabout lane is for going straight ONLY. The roundabout left lane is for going straight, or turning left.

I also wish there was some sort of way to make the roundabout entrances at more of an angle at the very end, but not sure if it can be done. It allows yielding entering cars to roll right through much easier.

EDIT

Where exactly is that one? I must have missed it!

Admin Edit - Don't triple post, please. There is an edit button. -Arthur/administrator

APSMS

Unfortunately not much exists in the form of smooth Ave-4 X Ave-4 intersections. The first example is most like the pdf you linked, and only in the most functional of terms (no comparison cosmetically speaking).

You can try this on for size (all turbo roundabouts are under the Avenue Intersections TAB Ring, found in the road menu)

Falcon319

Oh, sorry, I meant the first pic. That one is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, and I can't seem to find it!

EDIT: THink it's Avenue exit!

Tarkus

Quote from: Falcon319 on December 12, 2015, 08:07:32 PM
Oh, sorry, I meant the first pic. That one is EXACTLY what I'm looking for, and I can't seem to find it!

It isn't a single piece, but rather, a combination of the regular Avenue roundabout with the Type B1 Avenue/MIS Ramp Interfaces from the RealHighway system.

-Alex

APSMS

It's the standard Avenue roundabout, combined with the Avenue-MIS Type B1 slip lane pieces (AVExRHW button, bottom of road menu, Shift+TAB to go backwards; the pieces are at the end of the TAB rotation).

If you plop the pieces as close together as I did, you'll need to delete the last tile of the MIS (it's a MIS starter) before you can place the other side. The pieces should connect easily once you do that.

SC4 just crashed on me. I'll see if I can get a pic of two up in a moment.

EDIT: Darn it, Alex ninja'd me.

Falcon319

Quote from: Tarkus on December 12, 2015, 08:10:57 PM
Quote from: Falcon319 on December 12, 2015, 08:07:32 PM

It isn't a single piece, but rather, a combination of the regular Avenue roundabout with the Type B1 Avenue/MIS Ramp Interfaces from the RealHighway system.

-Alex
Thank you! Found it right before I saw the post.

APSMS

After you place the first slip lane piece where you want it, you need to delete the MIS starter piece that's attached to the end of the puzzle piece (just the last tile).

Then, when you go to place the exit (or entrance) piece, use the HOME and END keys to rotate the piece and see the different variations (all four cardinal directions, entrance and exit pieces).

If you don't delete the last piece of the slip lane before you go to place the other half, the game will think the space is occupied and move the piece away from where you want to place it, and prevent you from completing the intersection.

EDIT:Delete the highlighted tile:

Click for full size

Also, this is the button the pieces are located under:

Notice it's position at the bottom of the ROAD menu, not the Freeways Menu

Falcon319

I can't figure it out. There are only B1 exit pieces, which don't attach to the other avenues.

EDIT

Quote from: APSMS on December 12, 2015, 08:29:23 PM
After you place the first slip lane piece where you want it, you need to delete the MIS starter piece that's attached to the end of the puzzle piece (just the last tile).

Then, when you go to place the exit (or entrance) piece, use the HOME and END keys to rotate the piece and see the different variations (all four cardinal directions, entrance and exit pieces).

If you don't delete the last piece of the slip lane before you go to place the other half, the game will think the space is occupied and move the piece away from where you want to place it, and prevent you from completing the intersection.
I'll be honest, I'm not too knowledgeable on MIS or start pieces. Kinda need a step-by-step guide, if you wouldn't mind. Would be a huge help. I'm like an infant. Sorry, lol.

EDIT: I can't get the piece to even face that way. It will only face the other way (merging into the avenue, not into the other one). Home/End keys won't turn it when cursor is in that position (when over the avenue).

APSMS

Chances are you are too close to the roundabout.

Place the Avenue Roundabout first, and connect up your avenues, with an appropriately long (at least 8 tiles) stretch of Avenue coming out from the roundabout (you can shorten it later).

Then, find the Avenue/MIS interchange piece at the end of the RHW/AVE interface pieces button; We are using the Type B1 AVE/MIS piece.

Place all four EXIT pieces first; this is faster, and simplifies things. Assuming RHD (cars on the right side of the road), the Exit pieces will also be on the right side of the Avenue approaches. The EXIT piece needs to be placed with the cursor on the 4th tile away from where the Avenue meets the Roundabout.

Proceed to delete the LAST tile in the MIS interchange piece (as indicated in the picture below)

Now, go and place the ENTRANCE pieces. They can be found by going to the Avenue/MIS Type B1 EXIT pieces, and using the HOME/END keys to rotate the pieces until the Entrance variants appear. Again, place on the 4th tile.

If everything goes well, the pieces will align and place with no hiccups. If the pieces refuse to go into place, you may need to build that corner in reverse order; that is, placing the ENTRANCE piece first, then deleting the LAST tile as indicated, and then placing the EXIT piece.

Voila. Avenue roundabout with slip lanes!

Falcon319

Neither my entrance nor exit pieces go TOWARDS the other avenues, but rather AWAY from them. Home/End won't work when positioned correctly:

EDIT: IF I PLACE IT ON THE RIGHT SIDE, IT STILL POINTS AWAY!

APSMS

You are placing them too close, it seems.

The cursor must be on the 4th tile as shown:

Falcon319

I got it, thanks!

Not sure why it wasn't working before. The first time I tried the 4th tile, it didn't work. Restarted and it worked. Must have been a bug. Thanks!

APSMS

Falcon319

Unrelated, but placing it now crashes me game. I'll check to see if it's that one specific tile, though. Nope, crashes every time. Will try to restart city. Hold on.

Must just be a bug in that city. That's okay. I can start over (and plan better!).

Falcon319

Do you guys know if there are 4-way turbo roundabouts that attach to avenues?

After undertaking this roundabout project, the slip lanes require way too much space. My 13x13 tiles have turned into 27 x 27.

With the 6-lane road turbo roundabout, how do I attach to them?

Falcon319

Not sure if it's been done. If I knew how to mod, I'd do it, but here's what I'm looking for:

A four-way turbo roundabout with slip lanes and 6-lane avenue attachments.

Basically, a modern, big-city roundabout.

The non-turbo ones are too big in SC4, the turbo ones are only three-way and don't have avenue attachments every way.

EDIT: I suppose I should just go back to regular roundabouts in SC4. It's not real life, so I don't think I'll find what I'm looking for.