• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

A ground Hi-Speed Rail line refusing to pass under a 1st lvl elevated RHW

Started by Pythias900KMB, April 01, 2016, 10:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pythias900KMB

Many salutations, everybody!!!  As you can tell from the title and from the attached screen capture, I have run into a situation where RHW does not want to behave itself.  This time, I wish to run a ground Hi-Speed Rail line under a 1st lvl elevated RHW; still, when I tried to do that ... (points at the included screen capture).  Short of constructing an impromptu turnaround ramp for the right lane on both sides of the GHSR, is there anything else I can try to make the RHW viaduct and the GHSR be good neighbors?

woodb3kmaster

Judging from the RUL2 code, no L1 wider RHW crossings over GHSR are currently supported. In fact, I can't find any code that covers any RHW/HSR crossings other than L0/1 RHW-2 and RHW-4.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Tarkus

There's code on the RHW side (the instance ID for any RHW-over-GHSR item is going to be with piece ID 19, and ending in 5--i.e. 0x57151905 for the L1 RHW-8S Outer over GHSR), but likely, no code on the HSRP side.  Crosslinks are really a mess to code, and there's likely nothing you really can do at this point.

-Alex

Themistokles

You could try a work-around by making a mound for the RHW and then a tunnel underneath it (using this mod) for the GHSR. It won't be perfect, it won't be UDI enabled on the side of the HSR, but it will be functional. Just a thought. :)
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

Pythias900KMB

. . .

Gratitude for your prompt response, everybody.  I have been thinking the problem over some more and came up with this (points to the attached screen capture); as you can see for yourselves, inserting a tile between the one-way roads and the GHSR is not enough to convince the RHW to cooperate.  It appears that I will have to figure out how to dig tunnels then ...

APSMS

What exactly is the purpose of that workaround? Couldn't you just reduce the freeway to 6 lanes at the nearest off ramp, and then lead it over the GHSR? Also, OWR is terrible for that. Take the extra space, and if you really must set it up that way, use the new FLEXfly pieces to cross under. I suspect the RHW is going to be particularly obtuse in supporting that arrangement, even if the requisite code does exist.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

mgb204

Assuming you've raised the RHW to L2, there is no reason you can't simply cross it with RHW.

Do you need the OWRs for some junction? If they are just a turn-around, why not remove this redundant feature to make your life easier?

Run the RHW first to stabilise the connection. Only then drag the HSR under it, all should be fine. If not, move the ramps back by one tile, then you'll definitely have it up and running.

Pythias900KMB

APSMS:

I did reduce the highway to 6 lanes as part of constructing the viaduct across the GHSR; unfortunately, when I did that, the westbound carriageway cooperated but not the eastbound one.  The single-level FlexHeights on the western embankment overrode to MIS in spite of the fact that I used a D1 ramp on both sides to subtract a lane from the RHW 8S and crafted it into a course reversal because I do not like abruptly ending lanes if there is another method I can use.

mgb204:

As I was telling APSMS, the course reversal to the west of the GHSR is because I do not like abruptly ending lanes.  IMO, lanes ending on a highway except for acceleration lanes shows very poor planning on the part of the civil engineer; since I am filling that role in the SC4 world, I would like to demonstrate a higher degree of dexterity when constructing things as much as I can.

That being said, the course reversal to the west of the GHSR could be done away with since the RHW will not cooperate with my wish to cross at an altitude of 7.5 meters.  In contrast, the course reversal to the east of the GHSR is so that the westbound traffic from the weaving lanes can reverse course and either turn south onto the other highway or enter the eastbound highway.  I have to do that because SC4 has a conniption whenever I try to construct fly-over and fly-under ramps for that direct left turn movement between highways; if I make the slightest mistake with placing the FlexFly, I have to avail the RHW disconnect tile and start again after replacing the highway I wanted to keep.  Besides, stack interchanges are a headache for me to figure out; it is not weird for me to spend several minutes staring at the Google Maps street view of a stack interchange trying to track all the ramps -- and this is RL interchanges where I have no say in how they are built!!!

Pythias900KMB

Along the same lines, I have run into this problem here (points at attached screen capture) in a couple of my cities where it is not even possible to construct ramps so that the traffic can keep moving.  State Highway 151 @ South Connally Loop (Loop 410) West is quite an interesting junction because both highways are of course grade separated from each other but not the frontage roads.  I am quite glad that the Clockwise Looper and the Anti-Clockwise Looper are on the Connally Loop when they go through this!!!

I am pondering whether or not to have frontage roads intersecting at grade when a proper interchange is not possible like in this case because of the heavy rail line.