• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Photos from Rio

Started by iamgoingtoeatyou, July 22, 2007, 10:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamgoingtoeatyou

I have just returned from a two week long trip to my hometown of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I had an absolutely fantastic time, with loads of funny stories to tell. I photoshopped a batch of about 50 pictures for you all, every single one taken by me. To see all the images [un-edited and original], Head over to my flickr! :) Let's get started:

the large avenue located nearby with an excellent view of Christ the Redemmer:

Lagoa.

... and Christ the Redemmer, seen from my grandmother's balcony.

A few pictures from my triplet 3 year old cousins apartment:

The horse track.

Lagoa.

Christ the Redemmer, You can see him from almost anywhere in the city!

Driving/Walking/Shopping :D around Ipanema:

Don't remember exactly what the name of the mountains in the left are called, The one in the right is Pedra da Gavea.

Rio de Janeiro has the largest trees in the streets I've ever seen!

A cold and windy walk along the beach...I bent down to take this picture, I'm not that short :P

Busy life in Ipanema.

H. Stern Building, hoping to BAT this one.

My cousin and her boyfriend decided it would be fun to hike up Pedra Bonita, so that's exactly what we did ;D

Driving to the mountains...

Sometimes its hard to beleive you're in the middle of a busy city of millions...In 10 minutes you can be in direct nature.

I was thinking of going paragliding on my trip, but when I saw how high it was, I changed my mind :P

The face of Pedra da Gavea.

Beautiful view of Sao Conrado.

Lagoa, Botafogo, and the Bay sneaking in on the back.

Barra Beach.

Barra da Tijuca.

When my aunt saw how interested I was in building cities, [she and my whole family are architects], she took me to Centro for the day. I really liked the old 70's style buildings skyscrapers mixed in with some old monuments and modern skyscrapers. I was surprised though, because it was less clean than any part of Rio I had visited. Either way, Here it is:

Camara Municipal in Cinelandia.

Theatro Municipal.

Some modern offices.

The Biblioteca Nacional [National Library]

The tallest clusters of skyscrapers in Rio.

Busy Traffic behind Candelaria Church.

Hideous Petrobas building with the even more hideous Church of St. Sebastian in the background.

Candelaria Church.

A stroll along the touristy Copacabana Beach:

Copacabana Beach area with the Pao de Acucar in the background.

Avenida Atlantica.

Copacabana Palace from the beach.

...and the Copacabana Palace up front, one of the most luxurious hotels in Latin America.

Pao de Acucar Trip:

Pao de Acucar from the cable car.

A strange old man once said 'I came up here to kill myself, but when I saw this view, I changed my mind'.

Great overview of the bay and the center of the city.

Copacabana Beach.

A picture of Rio I took from the airplane transfer ride to Sao Paulo, Shame it wasn't in the day.

Well, That's about it! Hope you enjoyed them! :)

8/7/07 - Edited post and replaced all the images with larger ones, Enjoy!

BigSlark

Great photos! Thanks for the neat views from America's only Portugeuse speaking nation.

I assume its winter in Rio? Everyone looked like they were fully clothed...  :D

Cheers,
Kevin

TheTeaCat

Wonderful pics. &apls &apls

The shots from up high are my favs. Maybe just maybe someday I might get the chance to visit your continent so i can see them for myself. Heres wishing ;)
glad you had a good break and nice to see you back :thumbsup:

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Ennedi

Beautiful pics!  &apls &apls

1. They are great not only because Rio is a great city, but you also choosen great views. It isn't easy - I know something about it, because I like making pictures very much. You are really good photographer, mate  :thumbsup:

2. I didn't know Rio is such beautiful city. I am looking on it with great interest - now I am working on the mountainous region and there are a lot of good ideas here  ;D

Really good stuff!  :thumbsup:

New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Pat

Hotdog that was some great shots of Rio... Ty ImGoingToEatYou  &apls &apls &apls  I loved the view that you showed off of the Old man saying i changed my mind....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Vario80

Wonderful shots.  :thumbsup:  :satisfied: Rio must be really a nice town. Also i'm quite surprised that one besides you was on the beach when you took these pics. Was it really cold (in brazilian temps on that day) so below 20°C (68°F)?
Avatar: Atlantic Hotel Sail City- The new landmark of Bremerhaven

rooker1

Absolutely beautiful pictures.  I already wanted to visit there some day, now you have just affirmed my wishes.  Your comment about the old man going to the top of the mountain to kill himself and than seeing the view and changing his mind is incredilbe.  Makes perfect sense to me, I know you have made me a little happier after seeing these pictures.  I would love to see more.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

iamgoingtoeatyou

@BigSlark: Thank you! Yeah, It's currently winter there :P

@TeaCat: Thanks very much! Pictures from Pao de Acucar don't really do it justice, it's so amazing watching all the helicopters, cars, and boats go by. My visit was even more amazing because we watched the sunset, it was so interesting watching the city's lights flicker on :)

@ Ennedi: Thank you! I did have some great points to take pictures, Anytime I went out, I took my camera, and when I saw something that I thought people wanted to see, I took a picture of it :) Thank you for the compliment aswell! Rio is such a beautiful city indeed!

@patfirefghtr: No problem! Glad you liked them. That quote of the old man was shown in a video that I watched somewhere in Rio, and I thought I'd share it.

@Vario80: Thank you! I was very surprised when I got to Ipanema Beach and it was empty, from all the pictures it's always crowded. The day we went it was about 18C with heavy winds. All the cariocas were probably out shopping instead of tanning in the beach the day we were there :P The rest of the days were really nice 20C-25C.

@rooker1: Wow, Thanks! Rio is such a great city to visit, as tourists you hear about favelas and violence, but in the whole stay I felt very safe, and nobody was bothering us. One thing that's interesting about it, is that if you have money, you don't show it, so you can see a millionare in the street and not even know they are one. The old man comment is indeed very interesting. Cheers :D

rooker1

I had to look at these pictures again and I decided to make this picture my back ground.

Robin   ()stsfd()
Call me Robin, please.

iamgoingtoeatyou

wow, thanks rooker! if you would like, i have a bigger version of that image:

rooker1

Thank you very much, I will take this one as well.

Robin  ()stsfd()
Call me Robin, please.

vester

Yes thank you for posting your pictures.

You got some really good shots there.

iamgoingtoeatyou

Hey guys! I have edited my post with larger images, so you can see Rio a bit better. Hope you enjoy them :)

Pat

Hey hotdog that is looking soooo much wider  &apls

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

rooker1

Do you have any more pics of this wanderful city?

Robin  ()stsfd()
Call me Robin, please.

iamgoingtoeatyou

Don't think I have any more pictures that are worth sharing, Sorry rooker :(

Krio

Must say that Rio is quite amazing place. Those mountains and forests near urban areas, simply amazing. Looking from mountain to the city, it must be amazing sight. I'm starting again to hate Helsinki, because it's flat and small place without rainforest  $%Grinno$%

Going to show some Sao Paulo pics too? (no..of course I'm not batting them.. $%#Ninj2)

HabLeUrG

what a beautiful city  :o i must go there sometime, Rio de Janerio is now at my vacation list  ;D

iamgoingtoeatyou

Krio: Indeed, Rio has the most spectacular setting for city in the world in my opinion, it has the world's largest national forest within a city and the mountains just make it very special :)
I've only been to Sao Paulo twice and I really don't like it, it's a mess of a city really :P I don't have any pictures to share though. It has Rio's problems x2 without the natural beauty lol.

Heblem: Thank you :D It's def worth going, lots of stuff to do :D