• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

My Home City - Belfast (27/11 - Victoria Square, 920,000sqft of retail joy)

Started by Emperor Stormont, August 13, 2007, 05:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor Stormont

I have started something like this on the SCJU and ST and thought it may interest those here also.

I live in Belfast, Northern Ireland and always have. Belfast has an image around the world of somewhere that is dangerous and full terrorists. That of course was true for a long time, however, Belfast today is one of the fastest growing cities in Europe. It's vibrant and it's people welcoming.

The city is currently undergoing massive redevelopment in many areas of the city. From an advanced cancer research and care centre, a new hi-tech hospital, retail and residential developments to the largest waterfront development project in European history, Titanic Quarter.

I will aim to show this new Belfast as well as some history and answer any questions anyone may have.

Belfast is the capital city of Northern Ireland, a nation within the United Kingdom and it's name orginates from the Irish Béal Feirste meaning "mouth of the farset", a river that now runs under the city.
Belfast is the second largest city on the island of Ireland with a population of  579,276 living in the greater Belfast area, roughly 276,459 in the city itself.

The site of Belfast has been populated since the Bronze Age and only started becoming a major settlement in the 17th century during the Plantation of Ulster. This was when English and Scottish settlers arrived and established towns, introduced new agricultural methods.

During the 18th, 19th and 20th century Belfast became one of the most important industrial centres of the developed world. By the 19th century it was the most industrialised city in Ireland. By the 20th century it had the worlds largest shipbuilding yard, Harland and Wolff, which constructed some of the greatest and most famous ships in history, the most famous of which was the Titanic and her sister ships. Belfast also had the worlds largest linen mills, ropeworks, tobacco factories and engineering plants.

An important part of Belfast and its history was The Troubles, the period between 1968 and 1998 in which civil disorder, violence, murder and bombings isolated Belfast and Northern Ireland from the 'outside world'. That pain was also felt in Ireland and on the British mainland where attacks also took place. This period of history ended in 1998 with the Good Friday Peace Agreement. This period of history is very complicated and has it's roots many many decades before, it was a dark and painful period for a lot of people and still attracts emotional responses

Since 1998 Belfast has been reborn as a city, massive levels of investment have flowed into the city and many areas have been, currently are or have plans to be redeveloped. The most important being Victoria Square, Lanyon Place, The Titanic Quarter and the areas around the River Lagan.

Some Facts:
Population: 276,459    (579,276  Greater Belfast Area)
Official Language(s) : English (de facto)  Irish, Ulster Scots
Currency : British Pound (The Euro is widely accepted although not the offical currency)
Annual GDP Growth : 6%

Climate: Like much of the country, Belfast has a temperate climate with significant rainfall. Average daily maximums are 18 °C (64 °F) in July, 6 °C (43 °F) in January. There is significant rainfall on over two hundred days in an average year, and an annual rainfall total of approximately 846 milimetres (33.3 in), still barely half that received in Western Ireland and Scotland, though is still substantially more than Dublin or the south-east coast of Ireland. While sleet and snow fall occasionally in Winter, as an urban, coastal area, snow lies in Belfast on an average of only 2—3 days per year.

Transport: Belfast is served by both The George Best Belfast City Airport and Belfast International Airport. The Port of Belfast handles 1/4 of Irish seabourne trade and is the busiest ferry port on the island of Ireland. Belfast is well served by an extensive road and motorway network including the 10 lane M2 Motorway, by European standards Belfast is a car depandant city. Public transport is run by  the publicly owned Translink. Increased investment in recent years has upgraded the rail and bus systems and proposals have been relased for light-rail projects. Belfast is well connected with the Republic of Ireland via road networks and the Belfast-Dublin rail line.

Belfast remains a mainly Catholic and Protestant city, 47.2% and 48.6% respectively. However for many years the Indian and Chinese community have been an important factor in Belfast life. In recent years Belfast has also attracted increased levels of immigration, mainly African and Eastern European, many of which have come from Dublin to avoid higher living costs. However, as in the Republic increased economic activity has started pushing costs upward and inflation is above the UK average.

Belfast today is a peaceful city and a city that is still finding itself and creating a new identity for itself and its people. Belfast is no longer the city that was beamed round the world all those years ago. I know this may look long, and I will make changes and add/remove things.This is  the first thread on Belfast and I look forward to reading your comments, suggestions and your experiences of Belfast.

The first post will be on the oldest part of Belfast, the Cathedral Quarter.

Belfast Cathedral Quarter

The Cathedral Quarter is also know as the artistic quarter due to the presence of the University of Ulster's Art and Design campus, Community Arts Forum, Black Box (arts venue), Belfast Community Circus School, Cathedral Quarter Arts Festival and Belfast Film Festival

The university has recently finished a £30 million redevelopment and work has already started on the second phase of redeveloping the 60's style art block . The area over many years had become neglected and many buildings were left derelict as businesses left the area. This is now changing with the refurbishment of many of the old historic buildings and a new £300 million redevelopment plan which has already started, this includes the building of a new department store, talks are progressing with the exclusive Dublin retailer, Brown Thomas to loacte there.

St Anne's Square Development (under construction)

Talbot Building - located beside St. Anne's Square (nearly complete)

The area has recently become a popular place for nights out with the opening of new restaurants, hotels and clubs. The most famous being the new Merchant Hotel, one of the most luxurious hotels in Ireland and the Potthouse bar and club, build on the site of the oldest pottery in Belfast. One of the greatest buildings in the quarter is the Custom House that has had it's square redeveloped into a new public space with fountains that trace the path of the River Farset that runs under the city.

Custom House

Customs House Square and Albert Clock

The area is home to some of the most historic and beautiful buildings in Belfast; Customs House, The Albert Clock, The Northern Whig Building, Four Corners and the former Ulster Bank headquarters (now the Merchant Hotel) to name but a few.

Merchant Hotel

Northern Whig Bar (former home to the Northern Whig Newspaper

Malmasion Hotel (former grain mill)

The Obel Tower is also under construction and is loacted in front of Customs House, every apartment/penthouse sold with 48 hours of it going on the market

Obel

The focus of the quarter is St. Anne's Cathedral, the Anglican, (Church of Ireland) Cathedral in Belfast one of two in the city. The cathedral is to have a new addition in the form of a glass 130ft 'Spire of Hope' as part of the St. Anne's Square development. The spire will signify the new beginning in the city and the quarter and hope for the future, in what is a fast changing and progressing city. This spire is now in place (see pics) and will be officialy unveiled on September 11th in remembrance to all those that died and those from Britian and Ireland that also died that day.

Next update will be on some of my favourite buildings.

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

Pat

Belfastuniguy that is some really great stats on Belfast and the pictures are also very good... Did you take them by a chance cause if you did those are some great shot and i cant wait to see more - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

rooker1

Very interesting and very nice pics.  Great work putting this info. together.

Robin   ()stsfd()
Call me Robin, please.

Emperor Stormont

I'm so pleased you all have enjoyed these updates on Belfast so great to see you all are impressed with the place, I know some of you have been surprised by Belfast.

This update was to be on the grammar school I went to, but IE crashed and I got annoyed and now doing something else :D

This is on Belfast City Hall and the area around it, Donegall Square. It is four roads, Donegall Square North, East, South and West and this area has some of the finest Victorian buildings in Belfast. It is also home to the Northern Ireland HQ's of many local and national banks including, the Bank of Ireland, Ulster Bank, Halifax, HSBC, Northern Rock, Northern Bank, Co-operative Bank and First Trust

Belfast City Hall

Plans for the City Hall began in 1888 when Belfast was awarded city status by Queen Victoria. This was in recognition of Belfast's rapid expansion and thriving linen, rope-making, shipbuilding and engineering industries. During this period Belfast briefly overtook Dublin as the most populous city on the island of Ireland

The exterior is built mainly from Portland stone and is in the Classical Renaissance style. It covers an area of one and a half acres and has an enclosed courtyard.
Featuring towers at each of the four corners, with a lantern-crowned 173ft brass dome in the centre, the City Hall dominates the city centre skyline. As with other Victorian buildings in the city centre, the City Hall's copper-coated domes are a distinctive green.

The interior has a number of notable features including The Porte-Cochère and Grand Entrance, The Grand Staircase, The Reception Room and The Great Hall. The latter was destroyed during the Belfast blitz and subsequently rebuilt.
Carrara, Pavonazzo and Brescia marbles are used extensively throughout the building as are stained glass windows featuring among others the Belfast Coat of Arms, portraits of Queen Victoria and King William III and shields of the Provinces of Ireland.

The grounds are open for people to enjoy and when it's sunny are used by shoppers and offices workers for a cool place to lunch. The grounds also feature many memorials, including;

* One of Queen Victoria
* Titanic Memorial
* James Magennis VC, the only Northern Irish recipient of the Victoria Cross during World War II
* One to the American Expeditionary Force, many of whom were based in Belfast prior to D-Day.
* William Pirrie -  1st Viscount Pirrie, Chairman of Harland and Wolff and Belfast Lord Mayor
* Edward James Harland - Founder of Harland and Wolff

It also has Northern Ireland's Cenotaph and garden of remembrance

Cue lots of lovely pictures  :D

Belfast City Hall

Titanic Memorial

Queen Victoria Statue

Memorial Window to the 1907 Dock Strike

Northern Ireland Cenotaph

Memorial to the Royal Ulster Rifles

Around City Hall

Robinson and Cleaver Department Store

This once was the largest and most exclusive in Belfast with customers ranging from shipping magnates, the Royal Family to the Tsars of Russia

Robinson and Cleaver with the Statue of Harland

Former Mill House - now Marks and Spencer

Scottish Provident Building

Pearl Insurance Building

Northern Ireland HSBC HQ

Ulster Bank HQ

Bank of Ireland HQ for Northern Ireland

Overview

A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

rooker1

Wow...........those are super pictures.

Robin   ()stsfd()
Call me Robin, please.

TheTeaCat

Fabulous pics my friend.

Reminds me of the time I passed through your city. It was back during the "dark times" but even then the beauty shone through. It has changed so much and all for the better from what i see and read. I must go back!

Afternoon tea in Belfast has a certain charm to it ::)         Hmm one day

More please say I

regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Emperor Stormont

Just a quick image for you TeaCat - Tea in Belfast has become somewhat very very popular with the opening of several fantastic places to have afternoon tea, the best being the Merchant Hotel and Café Vaudeville

Café Vaudeville

Tea in the Great Room at the Merchant

So do come up one day and have some tea......

A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

Pat

Hey Belfast that is some nice new pics im really liking them exspically the one with the skylite view sweeeeeeeet

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Emperor Stormont

It's all fabulous seeing the beautifulness of Belfast, but nothing would exist here would it not be for Belfast Lough and the wealth it allowed Belfast to obtain.

The Port of Belfast is located at the foot of Belfast Lough and lies mainly on reclaimed land. The existence of Belfast as a city is due to a significant to the port and harbour.

The area was once home to one of the largest shipbuilding yards in the world, the Harland and Wolff Shipbuilding Company. This yard build some of the most famous ships in history including the

SS Canberra, HMS Belfast, RMS Olympic, RMS Britannic, USS President Lincoln and of course arguably the most famous ship in the world, the RMS Titanic

The ship yard up until the early 80's was one of the world's largest. The resulting years have seen massive decline in the yard which saw the last Belfast built ship lunched in 2003. The Harland and Wolff company now focus on bridge building, ship design, oil rig repair, ship repair and offshore construction.

The area also housed the Short Brothers Aircraft Factory which was destroyed during the Belfast Blitz in April and May 1941 by the German Luftwaffe. The yard also still owns the Belfast dry-dock, still the largest in the world. In addition the surrounding area also housed the worlds largest ropeworks, linen mills, tobacco factories, engineering works and aircraft manufacturing facilities.

The area is still dominated by the Samson and Goliath cranes, no longer used for shipbuilding but still an important landmark of Belfast and will be given a new status once incorporated into the Titanic quarter development. The Titanic Quarter is the largest European waterfront development ever undertaken, an area of 185 acres and a total investment in excess of $8 billion. The area will feature a Titanic Signature Project, designed by international architects and due to be completed by 2011 to celebrate the centenary of the launch of the great liner. The slipways where the ship and her sister ships will also be redeveloped. The quarter will also incorporate the Northern Ireland Science and Technology Park already established and occupied by Queens University, University of Ulster, Northern Ireland Technology Centre and the European technological development centre for Citigroup amongst others.

The port today is the largest passenger port on the island of Ireland handling over 2 million passengers a year It is also Ireland's leading dry bulk port, dominating the market with regard to imports of grain and animal feeds, coal, fertilisers and cement. Over 95% of Northern Ireland's petroleum and oil products are also handled at the Port. 57% of the Northern Irish population live within 30km of the port and it has recently become a destination for cruise ships, around 23 docked in summer 2006, with a total or around 30,000 passengers visiting the city. Along with passenger and frieght the harbour estate is also occupied by Belfast City Airport, now named George Best Belfast City Airport after the late Belfast born footballer.

PICTURES!!!!!!

PORT OF BELFAST

BELFAST LOUGH

This is my favourite from them all, it shows Belfast Lough, but in the back ground shows the Mourne Mountains, 32 miles away, I think it's stunning

A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

rooker1

Again....super pics.  I really love the port pics and the sunset.

Robin   ()stsfd()
Call me Robin, please.

FromTheAshes

Visit Vorsfelde.

TheTeaCat

Stunning pics you have there &apls &apls
The history lesson is very handy for me as I had forgotten just how important Belfast is as a city.

Thank you for taking the time to share them with us :thumbsup:
Kettle's just boiled! Fancy a cuppa?

:satisfied:
TTC

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"

Emperor Stormont

Belfast Gasworks

Belfast Gasworks played a major role in the rapid economic growth that put Belfast at the centre of the Victorian industrial revolution.

The construction of the Gasworks in the Ormeau Road in 1822 heralded the arrival of decent street lighting. People felt safer walking the streets and the social life of the communities that made up Victorian Belfast improved. Gas also meant that working-class homes could have affordable cooking rings, fridges, irons, lighting and heat.

In its heyday the gasworks employed more than 2000 people. Profits from the sale of gas paid 80% of the cost of building the City Hall, as well as subsidising public parks, libraries, bridges and public baths.

The gasworks was the site of a terrible event during the German Luftwaffe Blitz on Belfast. Firemen were sent by the Irish Prime Minister and they came across the gasworks site. To the Dún Laoghaire (town south of Dublin) fireman the most haunting sight were not the horribly wounded dead, but those without a blemish. When the city's gasworks exploded, there was a temporary vacuum. This smothered all fires and all life. Windows, slates, and all loose material were sucked from the houses. Those inside, mostly still lying in their beds, were lifeless, their eyes wide open with fright, and their mouths wide open seeking a breath. One of the many horric sights on a night when 200 bombers dropped 203 metric tons of high explosives bombs onto Belfast, killing 1000 people and destroying 56,000 homes. Over 220,000 people fled Belfast as the 96,000 incendiary bombs exploded causing the docks and city to burn.

The closure of the twelve hectare site in 1988 symbolised the decline of Belfast's traditional manufacturing base. However, Belfast City Council, with funding from the European Union, carried out major work to turn the derelict and heavily polluted site into a modern business park.

The park now hosts a wide range of enterprises, including a hotel, shops, workshops and business units. The new public space incorporates artwork and sculpture and centres on a unique water feature in which mussel beds filter clean water from the River Lagan. In 1988 the redevelopment won a Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors award for reclamation.

A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

rooker1

Thanks again for more wanderful pictures, your city is very beautiful.

Robin   ()stsfd()
Call me Robin, please.

Emperor Stormont

***LONG UPDATE AND VERY LARGE IMAGES***

LAGANSIDE

(from the Irish: An Lagáin meaning "river of the low-lying district")

The name Belfast originates from the Irish Béal Feirste, or the mouth of the Farset, the river on which the city was built. Interestingly, the Farset has been superseded by the River Lagan as the most important river; the Farset now languishes under the city's High Street in obscurity.

In 1989 the Laganside Corporation was established by the Government to redevelop the areas surrounding the Lagan in Belfast. One of the earliest and most important undertakings of the Corporation was the Lagan Weir. Completed in 1994 at a cost of £14m, the weir controls the level of water upstream. One of the main functions of the weir was to put an end to the appearance of unsightly mud flats at low tide. This was mostly successful, but mud flats are still evident on the river.

The weir is a series of massive steel barriers which are raised as the tide retreats so as to keep the river at an artificially constant level. This, improvements to the sewerage system and massive dredging of the river by mechanical excavators has led to a marked improvement in water quality and the environment around the river.

Major developments of the Laganside Corporation along the river include the regeneration of the city's former Gasworks, the Odyssey entertainment and leisure development and the Lanyon Place development which includes the Waterfront Hall, in many ways the flagship of the corporation.

The river is used by a number of rowing clubs including Queens University Boat Club, Queens Ladies Boat Club, Methodist College Boat Club, Belfast Rowing Club (BRC) and Lagan Scullers Club. The Boathouses are all based between the Governers Bridge and the Stranmillis Weir.

The Laganside Corporation is a public body formed by the Laganside Development (Northern Ireland) Order 1989 with the goal of regenerating large sections of land in Greater Belfast, Northern Ireland adjacent to the River Lagan. This development area was expanded in 1996 to include areas closer to the city centre.

The Lagan riverside suffered in particular from poor environmental conditions and the decline of the shipbuilding industry in the 1970s and 80s.

The success of the Corporation is exemplified not only by its own undertakings but also by the regeneration of areas surrounding its development area, that is areas for which it has no responsibility. The primary example of this is the Victoria Square shopping development, one of Europe's biggest commercial developments.

As an example of the areas growing importance to the city; BBC Northern Ireland use Laganside (specifically the river around Lanyon Place and Mays Meadow) as the backdrop for their local news bulletins, BBC Newsline.

The corporation is to be wound up in March 2007, when it will have reached its £1 billion investment mark. Its responsibilities will be transferred to the Department for Social Development.

Lagan Weir

The Lagan Weir, completed in 1994, is a weir built across the Lagan between the Queen Elizabeth Bridge and the M3 bridge. The objective of the weir is to keep the level of the river artificially constant, as it is a tidal river the level of the water varied up to three metres between high and low tide. This exposed mudflats which were unsightly. The transformation of the riverside by the construction of the weir has been a catalyst for development along the riverside. Another part of the project is the "Lagan Lookout" centre which explains the history and function of the weir as well as the history of the Lagan itself.

Odyssey

The Odyssey development was Northern Ireland main "Millennium Project." A budget of £92 million was established; 49% funded by the Millennium Commission, 11% by the Laganside Corporation, 18.5% by the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure, 18.5% by the Sheridan Group and 3.3% by the Sports Council. Completed in 2001 facilities include:
multiscreen cinema
IMAX Cinema
10,000 seat indoor arena and home of the Belfast Giants ice-hockey team
W5 ("Who when why what where" exhibition)
Bars, clubs, restaurants and entertainment

Sirocco Ropeworks

This huge brownfield site in Belfast has now had plans submitted after over 7 years of being left derelict.

The Sirocco Works was once of the the largest engineering plants in the world and developed heat and cooling exchanges. They developed the first ever air conditioning system and installed it in the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast, the first building in the world to use air conditioning.

So you have Belfast to thank for air conditioning

The site also housed the Sirocco Ropeworks, in this shipbuilding city the Sirocco Ropeworks became the largest rope manufacturer in the world.

The plans will demolish the current brickwall that surrounds the site but the brick Chimney will remain, the developers will also construct a new footbridge across the River Lagan linking the site with the Waterfront Hall.

The ambitious, 16-acre waterfront scheme by award-winning developers The Carvill Group is to transform a rundown factory site into a "unique riverside community" in the east of the city.

The scheme will eventually include a hotel, childcare facilities, a care home for the elderly, a supermarket and doctors' surgery all on-site.

And Sirocco Quays has impressive 'green' credentials, too, with waste management systems which will encourage recycling, the use of renewable technologies and a subsidised car club for residents.

In addition, the development was planned around open spaces, one of which will be a public park within the city centre - second only in size to the grounds of the City Hall.

The historic Sirocco site is the last in the city centre with river frontage and completes the Laganside project - one of the most prestigious in Europe

Gasworks

This is a redevelopment of the city's former Gasworks by Belfast City Council and Laganside Corporation. The development has retained much of the buildings of the gasworks which was closed in 1988, including the "Klondyke Building" now home to the Environment and Heritage Service ( Part of the Department for the Environment) which lines the Ormeau Road and its restored clock tower. The area between this and the Lagan has been cleared, and the site's massive gas holders (once the largest in the world) have been removed. The landmark tenant is the £45 million Halifax call centre building. Other tenants at the site include:
Radisson SAS Hotel
BBC Technology

Lanyon Place

Lanyon Place is in many ways the flagship development of the Corporation. The Waterfront Hall is located on the site as well as Riverside Tower, (headquarters of BT Northern Ireland ) and the 5-star Hilton Hotel. The Lanyon Quay building was added recently. The development is named after architect Charles Lanyon.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Riverside Living

A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

rooker1

Super interesting pictures.  I had to look at them twice.  It's really neat seeing other parts of the world and comparing them to where I live. 

Robin   ()stsfd()
Call me Robin, please.

Emperor Stormont

Derry - Londonderry - Doire

Northern Ireland's second city

Derry or Londonderry (Irish: Doire or Doire Cholm Chille, meaning Oak wood of Colm Cille), often called the Maiden City and is the second largest city in Northern Ireland the fourth largest in Ireland. It is one of the only places in Europe not to have its defensive walls breached which remain intact today. It is served by Londonderry Port and the City of Derry Airport. Derry is one of the oldest continuously inhabited places in Ireland. The earliest historical references date to the 6th century

The City of Derry has had a very close relationship with what is now County Donegal for centuries. The person traditionally seen as the "founder" of Derry is St. Columba (also known as Colm Cille or St. Columb), a holy man and royal prince from Tír Chonaill, the old name for almost all of modern County Donegal. Indeed, Derry was often seen as being part of Tír Chonaill before 1600. Today, most of the Catholic population of the City of Derry would be of Donegal descent.

This Londonderry was the first ever planned city in Ireland: it was begun in 1613, with the walls being completed 5 years later in 1618. The central diamond within a walled city with four gates was thought to be a good design for defence. The grid pattern chosen was subsequently much copied in the colonies of British North America. The charter initially defined the city as extending three Irish miles (about 6.1 km) from the centre. Planters organised by London livery companies through The Honourable The Irish Society arrived in the 1600s as part of the plantation of Ulster, and built the walled city of Londonderry across the Foyle from the earlier town. The city has long been a focal point for important events in Irish history, including the 1688-1689 siege of Derry and Bloody Sunday on 30 January 1972.

The modern city preserves the 17th century layout of four main streets radiating from the Diamond to four gateways - Bishop's Gate, Ferryquay Gate, Shipquay Gate and Butcher's Gate. Historic buildings within the walls include the 1633 Gothic cathedral of St Columb

During the Second World War the city played an important part in the Battle of the Atlantic with a substantial presence from the British Royal Navy and a large number of GIs disembarked here. 19 U-boats of the German Kreigsmarine came into the city's harbour to offer their surrender to the British at the close of the war.

Derry did not fare well during the Troubles, some of the worst violence occurred in the city including Bloody Sunday when 26 Civil Rights protesters marching for the end to internment and equal rights for Catholics, all unarmed were shot by the 1st Battalion of the British Parachute Regiment, 14 of those shot died 13 of those on the spot.
It was a turning point in the history of Northern Ireland and unfortunately led to a massive increase in the numbers joining the IRA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Sunday_%28Northern_Ireland_1972%29 - for those that wish to know more

Derry is also home to the world's oldest independent department store; Austins. Established in 1830, Austins predates Jenners of Edinburgh by 5 years, Harrods of London by 15 years and Macys of New York by 25 years. The store's five-story Edwardian building is located in the city centre's Diamond.

Located along the banks of the River Foyle it is connected via two bridges, The Craigavon Bridge; named after Lord Craigavon, a former Prime Minister of Northern Ireland, the only double decker bridge in Europe and the Foyle Bridge; the central cantilever span of the bridge is the second longest in Ireland at 234 metres (767 feet), the whole suspended bridge structure including the approach spans is the longest in Ireland at 866 metres (2839 feet).

Recently and with the decline of traditional industry the city has been a magnet for international investment and attracts the highest percentage of American invest into Northern Ireland, the top three private employers are American.

Important employers;

• Firstsource (India)
  • DuPont (US)
  • INVISTA (US)
  • Stream International (US)
  • Seagate Technology (US)
  • Perfecseal, Bemis (US)
  • NTL (US)
  • Arntz Belting (Germany)
  • Raytheon (US)
  • Northbrook Technology (US)
  • Invision Software (Germany)

To reach Derry from Belfast drivers must go over the Glenshane Pass, a specular road through the Sperrin Mountains.

Glenshane Pass, desending into Derry

Overview (Derry centre with Donegall to the west and the Sperrins to the East)

Derry City Walls

View from city walls from Shipquay Gate up Shipquay Street with the Diamond at the top

Guildhall (seat of council)

Derry Courthouse

The Diamond

War Memorial and Austins

Austins

Craigavon Bridge and Foyle Bridge

Magee College (Campus of the University of Ulster - one of four campus sites)

St. Columba Cathedral

Derry at night

A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

Emperor Stormont

VICTORIA SQUARE

Victoria Square is one of the largest city retail developments in Europe. It will provide Belfast with some of the best retail outlets and some will open their first outlets in Northern Ireland at the development. The anchor tenant is House of Fraser, the first in Northern Ireland, it will be one of their largest stores in Europe at over 200,000sqft. In additional to House of Fraser, Topman/Topshop, River Island, Coast, H&M, Reiss, Hugo Boss, Tommy Hilfiger, Urban Outfitters, Billabong, Quicksilver and many more will open flagship stores. Over 100 new stores will open in addition to Northern Ireland's first Odeon Cinema and countless cafe's and restaurants.

Over 100 apartments will also be released, all styled individually. The crowning feature will be a new landmark for Belfast, the glazed dome. Only 5 minutes from City Hall with it's copper dome, the two domes symbolising Belfast, the old and the new hopeful future.

* Approx 800,000 sq ft (75,000 m2) of retail over three floors
    * Two levels of basement parking for 1,000 cars
    * 98 shops, ranging in size from 300 sq ft (27.9 m2) to 60,000 sq ft (5,574 m2)
    * Leisure units including a cinema, restaurants, cafes and bars
    * 106 apartments
    * New public space and squares topped by the dome with viewing gallery
    * Pedestrian links to nearby business, nightlife and shopping streets on Laganside, Donegall Place and Ann Street

The development will provide a much needed link between the traditional shopping centre of Donegall Square, Donegall Place, Royal Avenue, Castle Court and Cornmarket. In years to come it will also link with Royal Exchange, a new development close by with the potential for Dublin based retailer Brown Thomas taking the anchor role.

This development was one of the first 'big' projects for the new Belfast, loacted alongside the Laganside developments will give new life to that part of the city. The centre opens on March 6th 2008. Most exterior work has been completed and work is now focused on internal fit-out

Images

CONCEPT

CONSTRUCTION

Before anything could start Churchill House, home to the Nothern Ireland Department of the Environment had to be demolished. Thankfully, removing another horrid 60's building from Belfast's skyline

http://www.victoriasquare.com

A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

TheTeaCat

Once again you show some superb pics.
Thanks also for the interesting background too. Its amazing how much I'd forgotten from school. gee thats .... years ago now ::)

:satisfied:
TTc