• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4 Dat Packer

Started by wouanagaine, January 16, 2007, 05:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0rion79

Yes, thanks, but what about the list of the files that I've mentioned before?? And what about the error message?

MaximePenen

Question... I'm experiencing the following error after the tool has packed the BSC subfolder

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 2701, in OnStart
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 2358, in RecurseAllFilesFull
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 2450, in BuildIt
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 2175, in WriteADat
WindowsError: [Errno 8] Onvoldoende opslagruimte beschikbaar om deze opdracht te verwerken

--> the last line in Dutch means: Insufficient space available to execute this command.
Now, this is not entirely possible since I have +30GB space on my C: partition (where the plugins are) and +60GB on the D: partition (where the game is).

EDIT: I also searched the thread and read that it happens on 'low RAM machines'. Since I have about 4GB in RAM, that can't be it either.

Ideas?

Much appreciated
Maxime

MaximePenen

Right... Seperating the big map into smaller ones seems to have done it.

hooha47

OK, long time lurker, first time poster.  This site, and datpacker in particular, are just incredible. The devotion of the people here to this 6 year old game is really amazing.  I've been using datpacker for a couple of days, and it works just as advertised.  I do, however, have one minor problem.  I've scanned this forum and haven't seen it mentioned before.  When I run SC4 with my datpacked plugins, everything on the mayor mode trees menu is now showing up twice in the menu.  I have a number of Jeronij trees, cp trees, etc., as well as Maxis ploppables and other rocks and flora.  Some of the duplicates appear right next to each other in the menu, sometimes they are separated by up to 10 or so items, but they're all in there twice.  I loaded SC4 with my plugin folder not datpacked, and the menu was back to normal, so I'm relatively confident it's something with datpacker.  Any ideas?
"If you want to have cities, you've got to build roads." - Cake

See all my lots on the STEX
And see my parking lot projects thread here and my mayor mode ploppables thread here

wouanagaine

I have no ideas  as I doubt you forget to move the original trees out of your plugins folder.

Can you try with and without the 'optimize space' to see if it changes anything ?
Can you also give us your rought folder structures and where the trees are in original plugins ?

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

k808j

hooha47
I suggest you download a program that searches for duplicate files  before you run DatPacker. You can find these for free at download.cnet.com/windows/

L i s t e n  T o  O u r  F a m o u s  T h e m e
http://www.supload.com/listen?s=PVfnXk">We Are Borg

hooha47

My apologies.  I guess I posted this problem in the wrong forum.  A little more testing has revealed that the problem is with SC4 start up manager.  Thanks for the quick responses and the great program.  I can add to the testimonies, using datpacker has sped up the game and practically eliminated CTDs.  It's made the game playable for me again, without having to upgrade my computer. So thanks again.
"If you want to have cities, you've got to build roads." - Cake

See all my lots on the STEX
And see my parking lot projects thread here and my mayor mode ploppables thread here

djp

Quote from: MaximePenen on April 28, 2009, 12:02:15 PM
Question... I'm experiencing the following error after the tool has packed the BSC subfolder

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 2701, in OnStart
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 2358, in RecurseAllFilesFull
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 2450, in BuildIt
  File "datPackerApp.pyo", line 2175, in WriteADat
WindowsError: [Errno 8] Onvoldoende opslagruimte beschikbaar om deze opdracht te verwerken

--> the last line in Dutch means: Insufficient space available to execute this command.
Now, this is not entirely possible since I have +30GB space on my C: partition (where the plugins are) and +60GB on the D: partition (where the game is).

EDIT: I also searched the thread and read that it happens on 'low RAM machines'. Since I have about 4GB in RAM, that can't be it either.

Ideas?

Much appreciated
Maxime

I am experiencing the same problem, I've used DP for about 2 years and never had any problems.
However I've just had to do a re-install of my system. I had a back up of my plugins but I can no longer datapack.

Also the bottom part of the screen fills up straight away with "skipped because not a SC4 File" with all the needed files
eg - dat, sc4model, sc4lot.

I don't know if this is a problem with reinstalling things but any help would be great

Dave

k808j

Did you install the dll files?

djp

Quote from: k808j on May 02, 2009, 02:12:20 PM
Did you install the dll files?
Yep - I forgot the first time and DP wouldn't even start.

I downloaded all 3 and put them in the system32 file where I had them before

I'll get some screen shots tomorrow.

Dave

k808j

You can always redownload the plugins and start from scratch. Thats what I'm doing right now.

djp

Quote from: k808j on May 02, 2009, 07:20:35 PM
You can always redownload the plugins and start from scratch. Thats what I'm doing right now.

Would this cure my DP issues?

This is what I am getting

And DP main screen

As you can see DP has already split the file into a .001 dat - the folder is only 16mb
and all needed folders are being "skipped because not a SC4 File"

Any ideas!!!!!

BarbyW

There could be problems with the models or the naming. Remove the BLaM folder and try again. If it works without any problems then there is something wrong in that folder.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

djp

Thanks Barby,

I've tried it with numerous folders individually and they all come back with the same message.

All my plugins have packed fine in the past and I haven't downloaded anything extra since I copied my folders to another hard
drive and reinstalled XP.

I don't know if it's related but I kept all my zip files in case I needed to re-install any plugins and over 1/2 of these are now corrupt, I'm wondering if my plugins have also encountered the same problem and are somehow corrupt - any way of testing?

Dave

k808j

See if the game starts using the plugins unpacked.

wouanagaine

It looks like there is a '&' in your main folder path. I'm not sure SC4DP can handle that correctly, hence why it reports your SC4Lot files as not DBPF files

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

djp

Quote from: k808j on May 03, 2009, 09:31:15 AM
See if the game starts using the plugins unpacked.

Thanks k808j - the game does run but there are various plugins missing, but they mainly seem to be NAM and other game files that I will actually have to reinstall. Buildings etc show fine.
Quote from: wouanagaine on May 03, 2009, 12:19:00 PM
It looks like there is a '&' in your main folder path. I'm not sure SC4DP can handle that correctly, hence why it reports your SC4Lot files as not DBPF files

Wouanagaine - Thanks for an excellent program!!!!

I had to reinstall my whole system, but the folder structure is the same as I had before and DP worked fine then. I'll change things to remove the "&" and see what happens

Cheers

tsitrana

I want to say thank you to you Wouanagaine for creating this excellent program, and also for your consistence in helping people with this program these past few years. It's inspiring!
I have a question, can you have multible compressed folders in your plugin folder? I mean can you pack the lots and bats then pack the nam and so on? Would that cause stability issues?
Thanks again, your awesome.  :thumbsup:
Just as it is difficult for the student to grasp the truth, it is equally challenging for the teacher to be persistent in the truth.

k808j

Yes, you can have multiple compressed folders but it is recommended not to datpack NAM, CAM or the functional airports and seaports.

JJ

I finally got around to trying this finally and well... It cut my load time from 5 minutes to 1 minute 30. And loading of a medium city tile which is half full from 2 minutes to 10 seconds :D.