• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

non-asian branch of SimFox' pixel torture chamber

Started by SimFox, August 17, 2007, 04:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimFox

Quote from: callagrafx on August 12, 2010, 04:43:36 AM
Er... Actually, because of the increase in the popularity of air conditioning in the 50's, building constructors started to use tinted glass that would absorb heat from the sun, rather than transfer it indoors.  It was in the 60's that they started to add metal to give a more "mirrored" look.  This particular building has bronze tinted windows, and the real building appears darker, mainly because of the surrounding buildings...

Good stuff though  :thumbsup:

Good to know... Still this one is from 50s so prior to 60s by definition, and I think it still has original glass intact, or has it been actually replaced with newer high tech one? At any rate it doesn't show any strong typically metallic tint to the reflections, at least I haven't noticed it after looking to literally hundreds of images of the tower.

As for the dark/light etc it is part an optical illusion and part settings of the cameras. Building is topically photographed against bright sky, Plus those bright building around it. but here is another shot of this "black" as some say tower in a same shot with "white" CitiBank tower:

Interesting isn't it...
And this should ALWAYS be kept in mind when you look at the photo of the building, well at the photo of anything really...

BTW Callagrafx, could you point me to the source of that info on glass, I would like to read more about it... And generally do you know of a credible source of info on properties of architectural glass of various types?

callagrafx

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Orange_o_

I have to bring a precision.

The "undulations" are from my point of view too important. You should correct the properties managing the constants of estrangement. The distortion has to take into account the estrangement or the nearness of the source.

The result which you obtain corresponds to that of an isolated building. Now it is not right. Seagram is intended to be in a CDB. The distortion cannot thus be also important, at least in the low parts.

See on this photo (the glass is more reflecting than that of Seagram), the distortion is important only when the source is far.It is about the high part of this tower

It would be thus acceptable that the details of reflection, is clearer, at least on the base of your building.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °  

Orange_o_

I am sorry but nuance between the top and the bottom is blatant, it is exactly it that I think that it would be necessary to improve.

In the bottom of this view, we can see sharply that the reflection is not realistic. I think that a texture of road or square improved largely the bottom of the bat.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °  

art128

Is that a fight of drawing touchpad ?  :D

Anyway, thanks for the answer, Simfox, I think it will helps. I'll give you an answer soon. ;)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

mattb325

Quote from: SimFox on August 12, 2010, 04:25:03 AM
well, since glass as such doesn't have any color by definition....Naturally the "color" you see is composite of many things. ...
Taking this in account "deep Dark brown" glass is more or less nonsense ......

Two on the left are representative of eh sunny side and two on the right in the shade.

So would you still call them "orange"?

Simfox,

To coin a phrase from Shakespeare "...a rose by any other name...."

Great building, fantastic modelling makes this a real treat to behold, the nightlighting is absolutely spectacular; but having walked past this building on many trips the 'orange' hue of your recreation is only evident at dusk. During the day it is more beige and gold and brown.

As per the attached, your textures display a definite lean towards the orange end of the spectrum - argue on the tangent and dispute all you want - I'm sure I need not remind you that colours are never seen in isolation, they exist next to, near, in opposition to, in harmony with, (and so on) other colours.

However, if the orange hue is what you want, then you need only say so: it's that simple.

EDIT: You have also omitted some important details along the E53rd/E52nd Streets sides - namely the entrance to the underground parking and the entrance to the brasserie and to the Four Seasons Restaurant - these traverse both sides of the building; also there are no access points to your upper terraces (the ones with hedges) I assume the real building has doors to access these?

Girafe

Thank you Simfox for this precise explication, I will try lot of things   ;)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

SimFox

Please do not issue diktats to other members, it's not your place to - Callagrafx (Global Mod)

But begone that unpleasant incident! Back to actual BATs.
Seagram had been released on STEX.

Seagram comes in two "flavors" - DarkNite and MaxisNite.
This is my first project that I had made with PIMx - a truly great tool. The only think I would add to it is selection for CAM and regular lots.
Anyway the size of the lot of Seagram vs it's filling degree is such that it sits at Stage8 anyway, still it should be CAMpatible.

Since then another NYC building had be made and released - Barclay Tower:

again there is a DarkNite and MaxisNite versions
This time building's small footprint ensured two different set of Lots - regular (Stage 8 R$$$ and CS$$$)that are included in either dark or Maxis version downloads and CAM (Stage 11 R$$$ and Stage 14 CS$$$) available as separate download.

I'll be resubmitting my LEX application with these two and (should there be 3?) my next BAT...

jmyers2043

the Barclay tower has nice shapes. A lot of geometry that catches the eye and plays against the light.
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

Girafe

Excellent job as always   &apls &apls

you are surely one of the most advanced person which concern the BAT and Sc4.

I checked lot of your creations and asked me why you don't finished (released) some exceptional buildings (the 2 others BAT of Naberejnaïa tower, Hotel Ukraina (could be funny to BAT the current state of FT) or more recent Asian towers, you stopped thess projects ? or will come back on these master pieces ?)

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

SimFox

Quote from: Girafe on September 11, 2010, 06:41:08 AM
Excellent job as always   &apls &apls

you are surely one of the most advanced person which concern the BAT and Sc4.

I checked lot of your creations and asked me why you don't finished (released) some exceptional buildings (the 2 others BAT of Naberejnaïa tower, Hotel Ukraina (could be funny to BAT the current state of FT) or more recent Asian towers, you stopped thess projects ? or will come back on these master pieces ?)

I know... &ops
on Simtropolis they had already organized my public flogging and called "those that never made it to STEX" My only solace is that I'm not quite alone there, but in fine company of people like Scotty222, nofunk, Odainsaker etc...
I didn't really stop any of those.. well I had, I think Federation and perhaps RT. Biggest problem for me personally is not to succumb to the temptation to dive into ever so smaller details that take increasing amount of time and effort with ever decreasing visual impact. Consciously I understand futility of such pursuit but... often can't help it. And after some time you get tired from a project, also when it last something like a year in the process you often learn so much that your own work from a year ago become unsatisfactory, yet starting it again from ground up seem too much of a bother.

As to the particular BATs you have mentioned, well I fully intend to finish Ukraina - I do open it now and then and add/change something. And it, albeit very slow is progressing.
Naberaznaja... Well, do you mean/suggest to make two smaller tower to have entire complex?

Girafe

I understand well the fact that with time your level improves and you can have another look about former project but you can understand too the fact that you show us superb things which will have no end.

Anyway I understand you, and I hope to see progress on Hotel Ukraina, and about Neberejnaia I mean that the current lot is a little bit strange, for me it's a complex with the 2 others small builings and I asked me why you didn't make it because often you make entirely complex with base and good lots.

:)
The Floraler

noahclem

While that tendency to delve into increasingly minor details must be frustrating at times your phenomenal attention to detail is a huge part of why your creations are as great as they are. I wish you luck on your LEX candidacy, to be honest I thought the only reason you weren't already there is because you didn't want to be. The Barclay tower looks awesome and I look forward to seeing it in my cities  &apls

BTW, I owe you extra thanks for your bats & darknight allowing me to make the picture I recently won the SC4D Best Picture competition (and more recently lost I think :'( )

artist

I love your work Simfox. If your not a professional with 3dsmax you should be  :thumbsup:  I'm trying to figure out how you create your window day/night textures. Do you use different channels? In your last post I noticed how realistic your windows look for both day and night. Just trying to figure out how you do it.
Thanks for your help :)