• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

non-asian branch of SimFox' pixel torture chamber

Started by SimFox, August 17, 2007, 04:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimFox

Fair folks!
And so I've decided to branch out!

My love for Asian urbanity hasn't diminished, but I recognize the fact that world is much larger and it would be foolish to ignore it wonders.

I present my non-asian BATs to your judgment:

1st. So called "red" house (labeled this way by Krio, and I like it):

this is almost ready, just some minor detailing left (few pieces of roof junk) and night lighting. In addition I'll try to give it slightly less monotone finish...
It may come in a variety of colors. Here some possibilities:

What do you think of those, any other colors to suggest??

And I've started a new one... this is quite an ambitious project for me. I do it in technique very different that I've been routinely using till now.

As always, comments, suggestions are welcome.

Krio

Loving the Red House and other colours. Maybe you should name them as Moscow Towers? Weren't those from Moscow?

And Stalinist Skyscraper is looking, really looking forward to it  :thumbsup:

FromTheAshes

The towers are great. You could try to use a darker red (vine red) as I know one building from my hometown which looks a bit like this and it is white with vine red elements.
PS: Second looks fantastic as well.
Visit Vorsfelde.

jeronij

These are again lovely models  :thumbsup:

Since you ask, I'd suggest to use a bit more darker textures for all the colours, except for the yellow perhaps.

This last Russian building is really exceptional  ???  . I would keep the model this way. Without the RL Dome  ;D . Btw, I am still really interested in knowing how you create such a geometry wiht low poly numbers  :-\  ....  ;D
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

le_harv

I find the tower blocks excellent as it reflects a direction a lot British Towns and Cities are taking for inner city residential development. An example is the Key Worker (Teachers, Nurses, Police Officers) Apartments in Basingstoke. As you can see they are in fact quite yellow, there is a similar building opposite that is a kind of Peach colour.

SimFox

Jeronij:
Oh yes... sorry I've forgotten (with trip and all, btw Spain was stunning, as always. Madrid really blows your mind away!!!)
I'll try to put some sort of tutorial as soon as possible.
Incidentelly I never really said low poly... When you work with MAX polygon count isn't really something to be concerned with. It of course affects the render speed but the number itself has VERY minor influence. What I meant was low object count. For instance you can have 1000 objects  100 polygons each, or 100 objects 1000 polygons each. Total number will be in both case (well that is very obvious) 100 000. But in terms of Viewport performance the second situation (100 objects of 1000 polygons each) is MUCH more preferable.
Another important point is to avoid coplanar surfaces - situation where two polygons lay in a same plane.And last one: when modeling with MAX (unless you do something very organic) don't do it by eye... Use snaps. That will guarantee much tidier scene, which would be easier edit, find problem spots and prevent all sort of weirdness during the render.

le_harv:
I'm afraid you're confusing the two... Stallinist thins is that large Building with columns on top.
Judging from the picture you've supplied I guess you were talking of the "red" tower. That one is brand new, just has been finished last spring.

jeronij

Thanks, you got what I meant  ;)

And I am glad you liked Madrid, but didnt you go to Barcelona  :D ?
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

SimFox

Of course I did! And I did spend most time there in Barcelona, just had short detour to Madrid. :thumbsup:

iamgoingtoeatyou

barcelona and madrid are great cities to visit, glad you enjoyed your trip :)

the towers look great, aswell as the Ukraine Hotel [?is that it's name]

looking forward to more progress :thumbsup:

Pat

Simfox wow and more wow the non asian stuff is as great as asian.... I love the multi color option and the start to the new building..... Hmmmm for more colours what about purple, orange and a little off the wall i wonder what black would look like - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

kwakelaar

First time I see something like this Stalinist tower being batted, will be a very unique building when you finish it.

SimFox

iamgoingtoeatyou:
Yep they are fab!! You also right on the hotel Ukraina! How, may I ask you do you know that much of the Stalinist architecture! You know I've posted the pic of it (well slightly less developed) on some russian forum and it took people there some time to recognize it!

patthefghtr:
Yep, colors would be easy. I will make a blend material for the tower. where "panneling" would be a separate layer from the basic defuse color. so substtituting one will me just a matter of couple of clicks and the export. And that one is qite speedy too! I've just installed QuadCore CPU, and speed has doubled as compared to dual core at the same stpeed! Rare case in computer industry when 2x means exactly 2x and not 10%!

kwakelaar:
Ha ha, yeah... I've been eying those form the start... but the complexity and the amount of decor were scarring me of... but then I decided I could stay scared of big bad Stalin rest of my life! i have to face my fears! :-) ?$%kar&%h
A little progress:

and, of course, all important Zoom5 view:

Picture widths scaled down to 1024 /RJ

callagrafx

Could I ask in future posts that you restrict the image width to a maximum of 1024 pixels as the large images cause horizontal scrolling and extra system resources when rendering the page...We've deliberately not insisted on a maximum size as most people have kept within the page dimensions so you aren't breaking any rules, only aesthetic ones  :D :thumbsup:

That said, the model is exquisite...can't wait for it to get it's clothes on  :thumbsup:
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Krio

This is too much SimFox, if EA and Maxis see this, they will cry and commit suicide  ;D This is propably one of the best models I've seen, looking forward the texturing.  :thumbsup:

bat

Wonderful looking towers! And the other building is also looking great! :thumbsup:

JosefBrisko135

Your signature was TOO BIG and TOO BULKY ... System ADMIN

jeronij

It looks like a plastic scale model  ;)  ... it seems you could touch it  ::)

Impressive perspective  :thumbsup:

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Shadow Assassin

QuoteCould I ask in future posts that you restrict the image width to a maximum of 1024 pixels as the large images cause horizontal scrolling and extra system resources when rendering the page...

Never had a problem with horizontal scrolling... but then again, I'm using a screen res of 1680x1050. :P

Quoteif EA and Maxis see this, they will cry and commit suicide

Hopefully. :P Selling us, the SC community, out just to make a few bucks *shakes fist at EA* :P

Anyways, SimFox, that's a beautiful building. I look forward to seeing it when it's textured. It'd be interesting if you got one of them 3D printers and printed that building out as an actual model. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

SimFox

Thank you, guys!

Callagrafx:
I didn't know that there was a limit on pictures here... Well I try to think of it. But can not promise 100% that I'll ALWAYS obey by it.

Boy Formerly known as Krio:
Wouldn't be too sure of that! They are out to make some $! And not just something beautiful. As long as cash will be rolling in they will be quite happy!

Jeronij:
He hehe
First I saw "plastic" and got a bit upset... but when read all message changed my mind...
So, what do you think about top now ( see picture below)

Shadow Assasin:
yeah! And I'm on 19200x1200 (thinkin' of getting 30"one on with 2594x1600)

OK building reached it's full hight - 196m
White parts are placeholders.
I'll be parking it for a while in order to finish the "red"
After that I'll be working on it finishing One Silver Sea and little by little filling the blanks on "Ukraina"

Pat

Simfox thank you for the answer and i hope to see some of them pretty nifft colorations soon..... OMG OMG OMG and did i say OMG that new building is something massivly awsome omg... Is that a parlimintary building or what???

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie