• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

non-asian branch of SimFox' pixel torture chamber

Started by SimFox, August 17, 2007, 04:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimFox

Patfirefghtr:
OMG_ so many OMGs!!!

:D

The second one isn't a parliament. It is  a hotel/residential. The tower part is a hotel and wings are just  apartments.
Don't let the star on a spire confuse you! It is there for very banal reasons - nothing political really! When first spires were built on the towers it was recognized that in often gray Moscow sky they were "disappearing" in the background. So then the decision been made to put SOMETHING on a top as a marker, to delimit the extend of the spire. Nothing more clever then a star came to the mind. Apparently even Stalin wasn't to fond of Idea. But couldn't suggest anything better.

Krio

You're making Stalin proud with this  ;D Any guess how many residents will live there?

SimFox

Well making that a..hold, let him burn in the eternal firelake, proud was last on my mind! :angrymore:

But I love the building and style. And in todays Moscow it is totally disassociated with the dictator apart from the name. :D
As for how many live there  - not all that many. And that was the major problem with this kind of buildings. First of all apartments are very large in area and volume - very high sealing with ample decor. Huge communal spaces like halls and staircases and elevator halls with marble, bronze and exotic woods. Inside it looks like one of those Moscow metro stations of the period. Plus huge chunk of it are just architectural decorations serving no other purpose then being impressive. Although in form it may resembles American skyscrapers of late 20s but in essence it couldn't be farther from the idea of maximizing the space.
It all comes to the fact that living or business spaces in building like that is astronomically expensive and could never make any economic sense! The cost of building the biggest one  - University building was equvalent of the for the entire town for 150 000 residents. It was absurd! Particularly in a country that just came out of the most devastating war in it's history. Where millions upon millions "working class" citizens in who's name the dictator had ruled were in fact homeless! As a result this grand style (not only for skyscrapers but for regular buildings (of about 8-10 floors in hight) was quickly abandoned after death of it's patron - Stalin. New leaders (actually prior to Khrushchev - who normally gets all recognition for it) declared historical turn - apartments for all! Architects were demoted from building monuments to supplying 100 million apartments in 10-15 years. Also that Grand style was very restrictive and in fact suffocated development of Soviet constructiveness in 20 early 30s - truly leading and new style.

Krio

Sorry if killed your desire to continue this great building  &cry2 but Stalin has those great moustache. But Soviets perhaps built these to show their power, as Dubai is doing now. Creating huge, expensive towers for landmark purposes basicly.

SimFox

Ou, Nou!

Not at all, You haven't killed anything. I just think that i have to finish those started before first. I mean the "Red"  and at least One SilverSea. Metro Harbour View is too big to be exported at one go. As per AuotVino's clever discovery GMAX BAT (or to be precise one proprietary DLL within it - so we can do nothing about it) limits number of slabs - the tiles building is subdivided into to only 16 (each of max size 256x256 pixels). So I would have to break it apart somehow. %confuso

I have been doing some "red" UWV unwrapping - it progressing quite slowly, as it is my first use of the tool and I
m trying to figure best way to use it. However I've been still playing a bit with Ukraina and here are the latest shots of it:

Picture widths reduced to 1024 /RJ

mightygoose

NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

SimFox

Well, exactly what the name suggests - it unwraps UWV space - mapping space into flat surface and hence allows you absolutely precise placement of textures - No longer you are dependent of the crude mapping options - planar, box, sphere etc. You just pain what you want where you want and it will be in that precise spot on your model!

jeronij

The model is looking better, and better, and better and better ....  :thumbsup:  &apls
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Pat

Dittio what Jeroni said wow Simfox that is spectacular  &apls :thumbsup:

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

SimFox

Actually building Stalinist building in a place called "... torture chamber" is oddly appropriate...
BTW here first test of that UWV unwrapped RED.
It is very preliminary as of yet, but what do you think, does it break monotony of the wall sufficiently? Or should I make "panels" smaller?
Also do you think effect should be equally visible in sun and shade? Or should it be different? Where should it be more pronounced? In Shade or on the sun light surface of the wall?

rooker1

I can't actually answer any of your questions, cause I know nothing about that kind of stuff.  But what I can say is that those building really look amazing!!

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Pat

Simfox the red does indeed give character to whole building... The red on the other hand did it loss some of its color cause its seeming to me look a tad pinkish??  there we go some more insightful thought from me lol

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Andreas

Yeah, the red panels look a tad too pink indeed. ;) The size of the panels itself looks good, though. I don't know enough about all those lighting techniques, though, so I can't really recommend anything in this field.
Andreas

Krio

"Actually building Stalinist building in a place called "... torture chamber" is oddly appropriate..." HAH HAH  $%Grinno$%

But as others said, nice nice work SimFox. Maybe more slightly darker red though?

jayo

$%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% Release them soon!!!LOL.This building is perfect for my tastes  :thumbsup:
I'm back

jeronij

Still a bit pinkish for my taste, but the geometry is exceptional  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

SimFox

Well that's pretty much the color it is in a real life. It is RED, but not to  dark, and it its aluminum panels so they have very glossy (stupid inverted term) reflections so it is never really very red except in the corner with like material. But if you have any idea about red/other color you would think it would look good at , please suggest it!

autoVino

Using the uwv unwrap, eh?  I think that the 3ds max one is rather comfusing to use, I've used other uwv unwrap in other programs that were much easier to use and the unwrapping algorithim didn't jumble it all up together like I commonly get in 3ds max.  A simple box would be a cross with 6 squares, not a single square with many verticies to edit.
IMO, I think it looks fine.  The color also doesn't really fit my definition of pink.  It's just semi-desaturated red.  The first box is what it looks like without desaturation, the next is what it is in the preview.
The next two sets of boxes are comparing the current with what I think of pink.

I still don't see any pink.

Pat

after it being explained i still think it does look real good either way... I think its just funnie either way you look at it though with how the colors can actuely become distorted or even what lighting rig does for it, if im understanding it right.. Simfox you said its aluminum panles in RL so that really does exsplain alot... Auto i never said it was pink i just said it was pinkish looking...

SimFox

To illustrate these properties of the material and the environment hre is same very color but with different ground more brownish tinted (the first one was more green)