• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Map Request

Started by Colyn, January 17, 2007, 12:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colyn

HI

Dont know if it is ok to post like this here in your Forum ... if not just say so and I will remove the thread.

I have a special request ... as you know by now the BSC Shosaloza Project is well on it's way on the Mount Robson (Modified) map. Now we need another map and it is for a specific task. We want to do a deep test on the current farming lots and new developments.

My request ...

A 3x3 and a 4x4 LARGE city map where the terrain is prepared like this ...

We need same nice flatland for the large crop farms ... some roling hills for slightly sloped tests and then we would like some mountainside to test the Timber farms.

Thank you in advance.
Work, the annoying period between bike trips.
Come see CSX Play

beskhu3epnm

Hey Colyn,

You are perfectly alright to post this thread here. In fact, it is appreciated!! Anyways, I have a map that I will be uploading shortly that I think fits the bill. However, the map is too large.

There is a large mountain range on the map, so what I was thinking is that I can crop it down to a 3x3 or 4x4 size depending on what I can manage. If you stick around, I will post the results of this endeavor in a few hours....

beskh
P.S. Wicked avatar!

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=79.0
New Horizons Productions Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio dedgren ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

wouanagaine

I think it is ok, we should have created a thread like this in fact :)

I'll bring it to the real mappers ( not me ) :)

besk beat me :)

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

moganite

Lets see parts of any of my maps apart from possibly Mt Everest map would fit the bill.

do you need anylinks to them All at the STEX
and I can easily supply you with a part the map I am working on Dubbo Australia its an agricultral area.

I am working on making a 32x32  tile region  and i dont need to do much to make  finish it off
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Heblem
jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ Vandy
wouanagaine

Colyn

I am open to all suggestions and for purpose of having a lot of good fun I would prefer something that does not already exist.

Oh and 3x3, 4x4, 6x6 is all well in the range.
Come see CSX Play

Colyn

Let me add this ... this specific experiment will be done explicitedly to meke sure that the Farming EP that will go the LEX will be very clean, very flexible, contain farming elements from a large variety of countries to make it possible for more people to enjoy the Farming side of the game.

Many of you should know that CSX started off as a provider of Farming Enhancements and now I want to go back to my roots and cleanup and this time I will have a lot of talented BSC members helping with the overall package.

So I am aware that I am asking much here but rest assured that we will make good use of it and in return give back a brilliant collection of farming components.
Come see CSX Play

beskhu3epnm

Hey don't sweat it Colyn, this is our area of expertise at the moment.

In any event, check this out:

This is unreleased at the moment. Aleking will likely recognize it, as it's a portion of the map he will be using for his CJ. I simply cropped it to allow your pre-requisites to fit. It is 5x5 Large tiles in size (1281). It is a map of fantasy, with RL mountains thrown in for good measure.

What do you think? I know this isn't a very good view, and I can provide you with an in-game shot if you like. Anyways, let me know when you read this...

New Horizons Productions Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio dedgren ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Colyn

Looks promising ... an IN Game view will help.

For me ... I am a guy that love to play "insane" maps as BarbyW puts it ... but this one looks especially good for doing Timber Farms and related industry on.
Come see CSX Play

moganite

I am going for a map of dubbo it doesnt exist yet but is real
at the moment I have the region in RGB without the template.
I can skip that step for now and just crop the image from DEM.
New Horizons Productions
wouanagaine

beskhu3epnm

OK,

Here's what I got for an ingame shot:

Now we can wait for moganite's image so that you can actually have a choice!! (thanks mogs for this). Anyways, there's plenty of rolling hills, shoreline, flat land and mountains in such a small map.

Colyn

&apls ... I love it. Lots of farmland there.
Come see CSX Play

BarbyW

Now that's what I call a map &hlp
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

pvarcoe

er, this is badly off topic and probably premature, but...

Colyn, I am working on terraforming a region right now, (Teton) and plan to move into developing a fair amount of farms in the region in the near future. This work on farms that you're talking about sounds very interesting.
No pressure at all, I'm just curious; do you suggest that I hold off on my farm work, and wait for new farms?
Or is the development window pretty wide open and completion months off?
Absolutely no pressure intended, I just like the sound of the project and really enjoy developing rural areas.
Thanks.

moganite

This is dubbo with a bit of modification on the river and flooded terrain and then exagerated.

At the moment I think it needs a bit more work on the river chanel but considering this is a real terrain thats been modified  give a range of features its ok.

The terrain is 5x5 large tiles and there is no known SC4 map of this region.

EDIT
I am also using the base textures so it probably doesnt look as good as it could. this is due to needing to rebuild my plugins folder
New Horizons Productions
wouanagaine

Colyn

Thanks ... what I will do is to ask the BSC to look at the maps on offer and then select which the participants prefers.

As for the Farming Mega Upgade ... it is a work in progress and we have not set a finish date ... expect lots of support lots for farming too like the old CSX Lots for Fuel, Tyre repairs, Tractor sales etc.
Come see CSX Play

moganite

Cool I 8) await you response. either map you pick its good exposure I just have to think of a name for it :-\

I was going to do an agsupplies lot but it probably wouldnt hold a candle to youre stuff as i am just starting out.
New Horizons Productions
wouanagaine

jplumbley

Wow Colyn, this is an AWESOME project.  I am at work right now and am unable to make any pics.  But I think A mini map of Invermere Valley will give you a nice map.  There is a 4x4 section in the bottom of the valley that will work well for your testing.  It has 2 rivers that join together into one and the East and West edges are the beginnings of the mountains.  When I get home I can show some pics of it.

I can easily make some modifciations for it aswell.

Mog that one you have looks good too!!

JPlumbley
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

jmyers2043

Hi Moganite and beskh

Cycledog recently introduced some terrain textures and tree controllers that again have changed the Simcity landscape. I did some of the beta testing and must say that these mods cry out for undulating terrain. Now I tend to play rural areas, small cities, towns, villages, and farming.  I concluded while playing that my farms, as a whole, are very slope unfriendly.

I am currently adding foundations to the farm buildings – in some cases altering the original bats. I am relotting to take advantage of cycledogs brilliant work. A somewhat daunting task. I am about 1/3 done and am taking a bit of a break at the moment <got to play the game for fun every once in a while – I'm sure you understand>

At any rate. I am always wanting to improve upon what I do and I think that I speak for the rest as well. The EP has been around for a couple of years and I've learned some things along the way.

I was doing a sawmill series that grew like farms. It got stalled. I can make a forest field with 'invisible trees' mixed in with real trees that in effect makes every field tile different from the next ... but ... couldn't make it such a way so as not to have a negative affect on others lots/bats/flora. So I kept it for my own computer only. But with Cycledog and Sams modding advise?  I feel that we can produce a 'real quality product' in that regards.

I've got some really cool hydroponic farm buildings in the works which in addition to Vlakhass hydroponics farm will be the foundation of a really neat futuristic reward building.

I have some European style farm buildings 75% batted – and along with Mikebear? A wonderful rolling European wine region could develop.

That brings you up to date a bit.

Beskh – you've got really great mountains and flat land. You did it more or less the hard way – using the SC4terraformer. And what you don't have is what Moganite gave the best. Wonderfully hilly terrain and a river that feels natural (and like Moganite said – I would naturally 'clean' up the banks as well) It is hard for me to choose.

I hope this helps. I am glad that you guys are part of the project because the time I'm not making maps is time spent doing other things. Perhaps you can share some snaps of the region as it develops as well. I wonder sometimes how a mapmaker plays on his own terrain.  ;)
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

pvarcoe

acck

Please don't say any more  :'(

Waiting for these new farms is gonna kill me, I just know it.

Sounds lovely tho.

beskhu3epnm

jmyers2043,

I see that there are some pretty wild projects that will change the face of the game itself even further. These are some major projects that likely take a lot of time to complete.

I find that if there is ever a chance that I could be of any assistance (even minor assistance - like with a map) that it benefits the whole community, as ultimately, what you do benefits the community.

If in the future, you guys need case-specific maps, any member of our team (moganite and I happened to be the most available at the time - jplumbley a little later) is willing to participate. We are the only members of ST utilizing 16bit data for scale uploads on our maps. Our technology is available to the public (color importing - greyscale importing involves licenses to some pretty expensive programs).

I hope to start my BATing career sometime later this year, and our other members have some experience (dmscopio and HabLeUrG have tons!) as well. It's gonna take a lot to get us going, but I think we will eventually make out OK. I am seeing now the amount of time that you put into projects like these, and I really appreciate it. Tons!

For the map I showcased to you, it contains 16bit mountains (from a scale map), and random custom drawn terrain. Moganite presented you with a 16bit map with some amazing texture... You should know that there is no internal angst, or bad blood in this project. Choose the map that will give you the best results, no questions asked. If you would like to see another, just drop us a line.

So with that, thanks a lot for your contributions. Without them, I would be playing Diablo 2 (or something similar)!!!!!!