• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CAMpatible Rail Stations!

Started by BigSlark, September 17, 2007, 03:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSlark

To all the great station BATers and modders out there, I appeal for the update of some your existing works. CAM has driven the usage of all transit networks through the roof. I, like many others, find the rail network to be the best for moving many commuters across cities and CAM has caused problems like I could not imagine. I've taken to setting stations on a side track that is not the "shortest route" for thru trains and many stations are still overwhelmed.

I have even managed to overwhelm JENX's Gard du Nord in a CBD tile. Its that bad.

Will anyone save us lovers of big cities and railways?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Kevin

Kitsune

I've overwhelmed Campatible stations, I have cogeo's ave-glr station in a CBD tile at 85000 usage, sheesh. So, make sure if people take this up to put it around 100-150K. I think ill tonkso has a 20 track 200000 capacity station on the stex.
~ NAM Team Member

cogeo

@Kitsune,
The GLR-in-Avenue stations have capacities in the range between 71000 (bus stop) and 77000 (bus/subway/glr), if you have chosen the CAM settings. So the usage of your station would be 120%, at most which isn't that bad. The capacities of all RTMT stations are set as the net capacity plus ¾ the capacity of the fully used network (both directions, morning and evening commute). This has work quite well so far, but I would like to know if I should provide some improvements. The goal is to not allow the stations be congested (due to the through traffic) before the road network is. Capacities of 100-150k rather sound too high to me, almost cheaty.

Could you please answer the questions below?
- What's the usage of your GLR-in-Avenue network? Check both directions and morning and evening commute (you will have to add four numbers).
- Is this station really heavily used? That is a really big number of passengers embarking/disembarking or interchanging?
- Check the congestion map. Is the station more congested than the avenue itself, eg the station looking orange and the avenue looking yellow or green? If not, then there would be no need to increase capacities, as the bottleneck is the avenue/GLR, not the station. Could you post some pics?

Kitsune

Quote from: cogeo on September 22, 2007, 02:47:21 AM
@Kitsune,
The GLR-in-Avenue stations have capacities in the range between 71000 (bus stop) and 77000 (bus/subway/glr), if you have chosen the CAM settings. So the usage of your station would be 120%, at most which isn't that bad. The capacities of all RTMT stations are set as the net capacity plus ¾ the capacity of the fully used network (both directions, morning and evening commute). This has work quite well so far, but I would like to know if I should provide some improvements. The goal is to not allow the stations be congested (due to the through traffic) before the road network is. Capacities of 100-150k rather sound too high to me, almost cheaty.

Could you please answer the questions below?
- What's the usage of your GLR-in-Avenue network? Check both directions and morning and evening commute (you will have to add four numbers).
- Is this station really heavily used? That is a really big number of passengers embarking/disembarking or interchanging?
- Check the congestion map. Is the station more congested than the avenue itself, eg the station looking orange and the avenue looking yellow or green? If not, then there would be no need to increase capacities, as the bottleneck is the avenue/GLR, not the station. Could you post some pics?

I will check, but I do know this: It is an interchange, AVE-GLR, and your Transparent Rail Station. The transparent station is at 499% capacity. I will get the solid numbers for you tonight... :)
~ NAM Team Member

cammo2003

Quote from: BigSlark on September 17, 2007, 03:32:55 PM
To all the great station BATers and modders out there, I appeal for the update of some your existing works. CAM has driven the usage of all transit networks through the roof. I, like many others, find the rail network to be the best for moving many commuters across cities and CAM has caused problems like I could not imagine. I've taken to setting stations on a side track that is not the "shortest route" for thru trains and many stations are still overwhelmed.

I have even managed to overwhelm JENX's Gard du Nord in a CBD tile. Its that bad.

Will anyone save us lovers of big cities and railways?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Kevin

Modding train station capacities is actually quite easy - you only have to edit a few values... I'll have to check what they're called when I grab the reader again (I've just gone through a Windows reinstall).

RippleJet

Quote from: cammo2003 on October 13, 2007, 04:11:11 AM
Modding train station capacities is actually quite easy - you only have to edit a few values...

That's very much true. Actually just two properties:
      Transit Switch Traffic Capacity
      Catalog Capacity

For normal stations (not road-top stations) those two properties should contain the same value.
The former is the capacity used in game, the latter is the one shown in the item description.

Modding those values can be done both in Reader and in SC4Tool. :thumbsup:

cammo2003

Quote from: RippleJet on October 13, 2007, 04:49:18 AM
That's very much true. Actually just two properties:
      Transit Switch Traffic Capacity
      Catalog Capacity

For normal stations (not road-top stations) those two properties should contain the same value.
The former is the capacity used in game, the latter is the one shown in the item description.

Modding those values can be done both in Reader and in SC4Tool. :thumbsup:

Those are the ones.  :)

Thanks for covering, I forgot to come back.  :D

BTW, you may want to pass this on, but it seems somebody forgot to change the catalog capacity on the CAM version of the marrast stations -- they still show their original values. ??? (I discovered this when I modded the capacities for personal use to 15,000 for the four-platform variants).