• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

What Graphics Software Do You Use- and Would You Recommend It To Others?

Started by dedgren, October 04, 2007, 10:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Graphics Program Do You Use?

Adobe PhotoShop
37 (34.3%)
Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0
1 (0.9%)
Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0
0 (0%)
Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0
2 (1.9%)
Corel Paint Shop Pro (ver 9 and above)
6 (5.6%)
JASC Paint Shop Pro (ver 8 and below)
7 (6.5%)
Corel Picture Publisher
0 (0%)
CorelDraw
2 (1.9%)
IrfanView
6 (5.6%)
MS Paint
7 (6.5%)
The GIMP
23 (21.3%)
Ulead PhotoImpact
2 (1.9%)
Other (please specify in comment)
15 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 108

dedgren

As I noted in the post that started this new forum section, my Paint Shop Pro 8 era is over, and I'll be looking for a replacement.  I'll ask that folks who do a lot of graphic work here at SC4D or anywhere on the web or elsewhere let us know what software he or she uses, and make a recommendation.

I'm talking realistic stuff here- if you use some $10,000 proprietary program on a $25,000 workstation, that's probably not going to happen for the rest of us.  But if you use PhotoShop, or Paint Shop Pro, or the GIMP, let us hear from you, and what you like and don't like about it.  Examples of your work are welcome, along with noting any particular features you'd like to point out.  Do the poll, too.  It'll be interesting to see what software, if any, predominates.

Thanks.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Shadow Assassin

I use Photoshop CS3 - I upgraded when it came out to take advantage of the new features.

I much prefer it to Paint Shop Pro, it's very user-friendly with a whole bucketload of advanced features that are very useful.

It is expensive software, though, something like $1200 for the whole package. I paid significantly less ($99) because I'm a student.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

XiahouDun

I prefer Paint Shop Pro. It uses less resources and is less prone to freezing. I like they way they set up the tools also. However, when making textures, I generally use both programs (Paint Shop for most the work, Photoshop for gradient paintbucket and for adjusting the image colors to match the GMax palette). I actually made must the textures on this BAT and on my secret project using Paint Shop Pro. The only time I've opened Photoshop was to make the alpha textures for the latter mentioned.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/phoenixcaptain/SC4/MyHouse.jpg

And a sample of one of the textures from it:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/phoenixcaptain/SC4/northwall.jpg

If I had to pick one (I'm fortunate enough to have both), I'd probably pick Paint Shop Pro actually. The fact I do a lot of multitasking is a big reason for this, and the lower memory usage from PSP helps a lot.
Current project: Movies 14

You may have meant to search for Houdini. (result of searching for XiahouDun on SC4D)

Tarkus

I had been using the GIMP, but I've really become a hardcore supporter of vector graphics and really took to Inkscape [linkie], an open-source (and free) vector graphic editor.  That's what I've been using for all of my maps in Tarkusian Cities, and I even started doing some of my own transit texturing with it.  Most of the way I've worked with non-vector based programs, I've generally been drawn to "line" or "fill" tools, and those are this programs forte, where the GIMP's line drawing options have severely disappointed me.  And I can resize stuff without distortion.  Now I only use GIMP for rasterizing my Inkscape stuff. :D

-Alex

dedgren

PSP8's raster/vector integration was pretty seamless.  It probably took me a year to really master the use of vector graphics, but their ready availability is a key factor in making my new program choice.  So I guess the GIMP is out, eh?  I've heard good things about it, generally, but didn't know it was raster-only.

Is Inkscape pretty much vector only?

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Tarkus

Well, GIMP can import vector stuff and export raster stuff in vector formats, but it's raster-based primarily.  There are vector tools, but they seem to be extremely limited.  Beyond that, the interface is quite disorienting, at least in the version I currently am running (2.2.10, they're at 2.2.17 now and working on 2.4).  It's useful for some things, though. 

Inkscape is pretty much vector only, though it's possible to export as a raster file, and you can import rasters to include in the vector document.  The most recent version seems to have added quite a few new features, including effects and PDF export ability.

-Alex

callagrafx

Been using the entire Adobe suite (and their video tools like Premiere and After Effects) for what feels like centuries now, as it's an integral part of my work.  Now up to CS3 on Mac (full suite) and CS2 on PC, both of which are, IMO, untouchable in terms of features, power and effects.  Full integration with other Adobe packages (Illustrator can open PDF files for edit, PS can link to AI files as smart objects, so vector graphics become editable from PS) makes it a must for a graphics pro.  The price tag is steep, but you get 6 full blown packages (Acrobat Pro 8, Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Flash and Dreamweaver) that if you bought separately, would cost a whole lot more.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

M4346

I also use Adobe Photoshop CS2 and have no complaints! I absolutely love it! Its user-friendly and powerful, at least for the non-hardcore stuff that I do with it.  :P

I would recommend Adobe Photoshop to anyone.  ;D
New Horizons Productions

Andreas

For graphics stuff, I use a mixture of programs, because none of them has all features that I need occasionally - or they are just too complicated to use. Photoshop is surely one of the most advanced programs around, but the price tag is not for everybody's taste (you're indeed lucky if you can buy it with student discount), and it has a rather steep learning curve as well. For image manipulation and enhancement it's definitely the best, though. When it comes to layout stuff, CorelDraw has always been my favorite. The first version I used was 3.0, which my dad bought ages ago, and now I have 11.0 or so - which is already rather old, but I don't need a newer one. IrfanView is my "swiss army knife" for viewing images, taking screenshots, browsing through my collection (with the thumbnail view), copying images around, scanning individual pages (i. e. for printing as an alternative to xerox them) etc.

But the most amazing piece of software for me when it comes to graphics stuff is Fireworks (formerly Macromedia, now Adobe). I was introduced to that program in university, when they used version 1.0, which was already wonderful. Now I have Fireworks MX, and I don't intend to upgrade, because it can do everything that I need. Apart from the very intuitive user interface (a trademark of all Macromedia programs, I also love Dreamweaver), I simply love the way how it combines vector tools with image editing and (basic) manipulation. Originally, it was intended for making website graphics, but it's also wonderful to use it for editing screenshots (such as for SC4 tutorials :) ), and edit graphics that is intended for viewing purposes on a screen in general.

Lines, shapes, text etc. is treated as objects, which can be edited in vector mode at any time. It's not necessary to add new layers all the time if you add another object, because each layer can hold an unlimited amount of objects, and all can be arranged/modified freely, as if they were separate layers. Also, Fireworks uses PNG as native format, so it's perfect for editing SC4 graphics as well. Any layers etc. are stored in the PNG file (which makes it larger than a "flat" image, obviously), but you can view it with any program without any compatibility issues. Adobe tried to imitate this functionality with their "ImageReady" addon for Photoshop, but never came close. When they bought Macromedia, it was not really surprising for me that they scrapped ImageReader and market Fireworks as premium web graphics program now. ;)
Andreas

dedgren

A great bunch of comments- I DL'd a 30 day trial of Corel PSP X2 (I guess that's the current version).  It's fully functional, so I'll give it a spin tonight and let everyone know.

Andreas, I'm also for sure checking out Fireworks.  I remember it from way back a few years ago, but I was pretty much set then and didn't take a hard look.

All you PhotoShoppers- I'm funding-challenged... and jealous as heck!

Great weekend's coming up.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

freedo50

I use the Adobe CS too, I find photoshop is just the best thing for photo editing and the like and it's also pretty good for "drawing" stuff. That's not what it's designed for and that's probably why I tend to use Illustrator for that kind of thing. Using Illustrator with a graphics tablet makes life so much easier, and it's really amazing just what the computer can do with regards to making the pen movements look natural.

I downloaded a trial of Fireworks once but never really got to like it, I find that I don't really like the way Macromedia make their interfaces (other than for Dreamweaver which is one of my all time most awe-inspiring programs but never mind that...), I think there's just too much clicking to find exactly what you need. Its probably just that I started with photoshop a long time ago, and so I'm used to that now.

I hope this was of some help  ;) Also, with regards to the whole funding thing, being a student makes life so much more bearable, like just now I ordered 2 large Dominoes pizzas for £10 (~$19) to be delivered, just because I have an NUS card and it's fresher's week!

Fred

Hayden_Grady

I use Photofiltre  and photoshop , however im no good at any image munipulaton

Xiziz

Adobe Photoshop CS3, has some great features for editing RAW pictures, that is photos from my digital camera.

In general i try to use Freeware to suport the movement, because i think that Freeware is the future, however on some points you just dont want to cut the ropes, and i want the best there is in photoediting, and there isnt any program that handles RAW Format pictures as good as CS3.

For use with Sim City my guess is that the GIMP should be sufficent, unless your going to start to photomanipulating(ie actually chaning around stuff in the pictures, adding floors to buildings or combining them, etc) pictures to a great extent.

bwatterud

The GIMP is a good choice.  It's a great piece of software and, since it's free, if you don't like it, it's not a major loss to you. 

Zane

The answer to this question really depends on the type of graphics the designer wants to create, and if he has had experience in creating graphics.

I would recommend PhotoFiltre (Yes, spelled correctly.) to any young designer who's just getting started. Familiarization with the simple tools offered in PhotoFiltre is exceedingly helpful in more complex programs, but meanwhile, usage of PhotoFiltre is endless and quality designs can be created out of it, no doubt.

Obviously the next step up would be PhotoShop, the program which I am using currently. It's much more complex, but at the same time it's a very experimental program. Tools in PhotoShop can be used with countless variations, but how you incorperate those tools in your graphics is really the key to a good design. I use Photoshop CS3, and am lovin' it!

I really want to get Fireworks, as most all of my graphics I make for my site, exactly what this software specializes in. I envy anyone using it. $%Grinno$% My next step will be to download the free trial.

Quote from: bwatterud on October 06, 2007, 08:32:51 PM
The GIMP is a good choice.  It's a great piece of software and, since it's free, if you don't like it, it's not a major loss to you.

The disadvantage of the GIMP is the absurdly horrible GUI system. I took one look at that and boy, you should have seen my face. :)
I've tried Illustrator and InDesign, but they really don't appeal to me.

dedgren

I won't name any names, but references like this

QuoteHowever, I have a slight advantage over most of you - my mom's technical assistant hacked photoshop along with some other CS3 programs onto my Mac 2008 for free. &sly

after this warning will lead to an immediate and permanent termination of SC4D membership, and likely without prior warning.  We do not condone or tolerate any illegal activity or discussion of illegal activity involving software, period.  This is a practice common across the board at every legitimate SC4 fansite I'm aware of, and here is no different.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

porter66083

I'm running on CS3 as well... works like a champ, but it sure is expensive!

You decide their fate...
Timbervale

"Ok class... this week we graduate from 'Rock, Paper, Scissors' to 'Bazooka, Tear Gas, Butcher Knife'..." -derived from a Maki Murakami manga

Shadow Assassin

QuoteAdobe tried to imitate this functionality with their "ImageReady" addon for Photoshop, but never came close

I miss ImageReady, it suited my needs very well. But now, I've got Fireworks CS3 lying around on a DVD somewhere (I never bothered to install it, as a matter of fact).

But Acrobat 8 Pro is probably the most useful program for me at the moment...

As for Corel, I got a free version once (version 7), and I quite liked it, but I soon discarded it in favour of Photoshop CS (and I've stuck with Photoshop since then), which I got for free (not illegally downloaded).

EDIT: For Photoshop, I've never had it crash on me. Though, I seriously recommend min. 1GB of RAM to ensure the program will run smoothly (in fact, Adobe's installer won't even run unless you've got 1GB or more in the system); 2GB if you want to use multiple RAM-hogging programs at once (I get a bit of slowdown with Illustrator, Photoshop, and SC4 running at the same time; because they're all memory hogs).

By the way, I think it is possible to pick up old versions of Photoshop for free, or for a very cheap price (say, 7.0)... (EDIT: Legally, of course!)
New Horizons Productions
See my uploads on the LEX!

rickmastfan67

I've mostly just used PSP7 (Paint Shop Pro 7) to do all of my texture work for the RHW system.  Plus I've used it to do my NASCAR paint schemes that I work on (see sig).  I honestly thing that PSP7 was the best in that series because I know several people that still use it in my NR2003 community.

However, there is one downside with PSP7, it can only open 100 layers on one file.  Any above that number will not load and you need PSP8 or higher to access them. I have 9 installed to use on files that PSP7 will not open, but I stick with 7 because I've practically mastered it. ;)
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

flame1396

Photoshop dominating. And who voted for irfanview? It can't edit (I believe)

I use CS2
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.