• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

WillG75's Urban Renewal Project - Back in Gear

Started by WillG_75, December 16, 2007, 12:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillG_75

Version 1 finished......
decided to not use a chimney since the reference photos I went off of didn't have one.

May go back and change the concrete texture......seems too repetitive.

XiahouDun

Looks good. A few suggestions if I may.

While not going with a chimney, maybe put some kind of vent up on the roof. Right now its a little lacking and it hurts the overall model. And are you planning on doing nightlighting?
Current project: Movies 14

You may have meant to search for Houdini. (result of searching for XiahouDun on SC4D)

WillG_75

Thanks for the input. I will put a vent and small utility chimney on the roof. And if you mean window lighting, yes I am. My computer won't process spotlights very well so I can't make an overhead light for the porch that looks good.

Chrisadams3997

This new one is looking very good.  For the concrete, you can probably just increase the size of the uvw map applied.

WillG_75

Updated, skipped out on the roof vent and added gable vents, added some utility pipe chimneys and some furniture on the porch.

WillG_75

Not directly related to Modeling, but I found a few nice places with lots of material for Houses from years 1903-1961. Just thought it may be helpful for those who like to make older stuff like I do :thumbsup:

http://www.antiquehome.org/House-Plans/
http://www.searsarchives.com/homes/byimage.htm

Heblem

thats a great home  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: go on you can do some of these old homes  :thumbsup:

I suggest you to do some more variations with that same home, maybe change the color texture or add a fireplace or skylights to the roof  ;)

WillG_75

Quote from: Heblem on June 23, 2008, 07:03:01 PM
thats a great home  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: go on you can do some of these old homes  :thumbsup:

I suggest you to do some more variations with that same home, maybe change the color texture or add a fireplace or skylights to the roof  ;)

Thanks! I have actually set that house aside for a few day, I need to fix some stuff with the LOD's, and I fear it's going to take a long time to fix.

I started the 1935 Marion by Sears

I have the main roof and the walls done, just need to ad the dormer and all the little details, but I have the painful parts out of the way,  it's looking good already :thumbsup:

WillG_75

A little WIP shot, anyone else think this house looks like someone with a huge nose without the porch? :D

Yes, those windows were a pain in the arse with the separated panes

jmyers2043

Hello Will. That is actually a very nice house. Especially the front porch area.
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

skyliner

Those look really good! What is the height from the base to the roof tip? I am wondering because I wanted to BAT some homes too.

CasperVg

Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

WillG_75

Quote from: skyliner on June 24, 2008, 08:55:41 PM
Those look really good! What is the height from the base to the roof tip? I am wondering because I wanted to BAT some homes too.

I forget the exact height of the building, but I usually make my floors 4.5-5 Gmax squares tall.

Here's what I am working on now,

The Chelsea, a four square released by Sears in 1916. I will be doing it without the little door under the kickout on the side, simply because I forgot to model it when I was making that wall :P , but I will think of something to do with that spot, so it doesn't look wierd.

WillG_75

Anyone have any specific colors that this house should be? I am not very good with colors (which is why I didn't do multiple versions of the 1935 Marion), so any input would be nice ;) I want to make 3-4 color variations of this house.

jmyers2043

Well, you can make the house any color you wish. but earth tone muted colors are best and probably never too bright or colorful hues. Blue with white shutters, white with black or green shutters, yellow with blue shutters. Obviously not magenta or cyan. What are the colors of the homes in your neighborhood? You can also do a variation. The lower floor is brick and the upper floor is white wood.

If it were me? I would pick a medium grey color. Then add about 15 or so clicks of green. Just enough to give it a slight bit of color. You could use the same method again. Starting with grey but this time add a few clicks of blue. Just enough to give it some hue but not enough to pop out at you.

Trust the good folk here to give you honest opinion and positive feedback.

WillG_75

Thank you for the input, but just a note that the house won't have shutters, but it does have a lot of trim that can be painted. I'll take the white w/ green trim, blue-gray w/ white trim, and possibly a brick lower part and white upper part. I'm only 2/3 of the way finished with modeling.

flame1396

Why not shutters? That is the sort of thing that makes a small BAT pop out. Difference between a 9 and a 10 rating you know.
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

WillG_75

There's going to be trim around the windows, like on the photo. Most houses in urban areas don't have shutters anyhow. Plus I think it makes the house look too cluttered, as there are usually more windows on older homes. There will be plenty of houses with shutters on them, a lot more when I get into the 1940's and 1950's era ;)

I may take one of the dormors off, looks too cluttered.......

jmyers2043

Personally? I'd take all the dormers off but for the front. But that's just me. It is your bat. .... Have Fun!!!