• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

DatPacker, Cleanitol and the -UserDir: shortcut hack

Started by JoeST, February 06, 2008, 08:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeST

Ever wanted to use DatPacker and Cleanitol and not have to move your plugin's around or use StartUp Manager. After some testing using the -UserDir: shortcut hack found by Andreas in my other tutorial Here, I have made a folder structure that allows for this to work.

First I will explain the -UserDir: hack.
Code (hack) Select
-UserDir:"$File Path$" Adding this to the end of your SimCity 4 shortcut with an appropriate file path will result in making the game look for the game files normaly found in the "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\SimCity 4\" folder, look for them in the path given. For example:
Code (hack) Select
-UserDir:"O:\Documents\SimCity 4\" will make the game load the users folders from the SC4 folder in the documents folder on the partition O.

so if I keep my DatPacked files in the "O:\Documents\SimCity 4\plugins\" folder (by changing the DatPacker shortcut point to this folder), the files will be compressed from the default MyDocs location (MyDocs\SimCity 4\), and placed in the game loading folder (on O:\). Also Cleanitol will search through the MyDocs location with its lists, leaving the O location alone.

Be sure to copy your maps over to the -UserDir: location tho, because it searches for the 3 default folders (Regions, HTTPCache, Plugins), and if it cant find it, inserts the default contents (the vanilla maps, no plugins and an empty HTTPCache\ folder).

I would advise, that any files that don't want to be DatPacked be moved over to the new location manually and left there.

Hope this helps people, and Questions are welcome.
Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Andreas

Thanks for the hint how to use said parameter - this should come in very handy for DATpacked plugin folders in particular indeed. :)
Andreas

JoeST

Just a warning, all programs except the game its self still locate the MyDocs folder as the default folder... this means that Installers, SC4Tool and XTool for example still go there

Joe

Jonathan

So I could have say 3 SC4 icons on my desktop one for normal playing, one for HSR and one for developing stuff?
Basically is this a replacement for SUM, or have I got this totally wrong?

JoeST

you could indeed have 3 icons, yes

and yes you could possibly use it as a replacement for SUM or maybe you could change your plugin folder location in SUM and use them both in conjunction with each other.

The main reason for this tut is so you dont have to move your plugins round if you dont use SUM. there is probably other uses of the -UserDir: hack, just sharing my ideas

Joe

RebaLynnTS

With this info, it should not be hard to write a small app, that lets you choose which folder to start the game for.

For windows, I could write a tray icon app, that you click and choose a location, and it starts the game there.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

SC4BOY

Hmm.. I have no problems getting SC4 to use the new directory, but DatPacker still reads the folders and places the compressed folder in the MyDocs folder.. I must be misunderstanding what you are doing with the DatPacker shortcut. Can you say it differently?

JoeST

you have to select the new place in DatPacker, here:

change the destination folder.

Joe

SC4BOY

Hmmm.. that looked too obvious.. :)

Don't you have to change it everytime you start it up? I thought you had a shortcut properties method to do it.

JoeST

uhh, my thing changes the games location, which you can then change DatPackers Destination Folder too, and yes that will stick as it is stored in a registry entity for DatPacker (correct me if im wrong)

Joe

SC4BOY

You are correct sir! (well it is sticky.. don't know where it stores it) Thanks.. I never knew that. I'm pretty sure the one on Cleanitol is NOT sticky.. you know what they say about the old ASS/U/ME

LOL

I just moved my run directory to a subdirectory in my same old MyDocs dir.. too lazy to move it to another drive.. haha.. :)

Besides I use the HAS (Heatsoft Automatic Synchronizer) to mirror my SC4 stuff to another drive.. the fear of hours of lost work is just too much to face.. hehe

JoeST

well, tbh i hold my game plugins in the mydocs folder too, but my my docs is on a different HDD anyway LOL

and yeah, cleanitol doesnt keep its file path, because its a file that it opens for the .txt file that it runs. so it doesnt need to LOL

SC4BOY

lol.. well I DETEST!!!! resetting that window everytime I open cleanitol.. so I found a much better way to do it.. I just place a shortcut in "dropping distance" on my desktop (in my case actually in an SC4 folder.. but whatever) and when I unpack a cleanitol-type file I just drag and drop it on the shortcut.. *POOF* it opens it.. no more navigating..

Good place to put this note here in your thread too.. since it is just another way to make us datpackers more efficient.

Oh and I just went through a DOWNLOAD, UNPACK, CLEANIT, INSTALL, DEPENDENTCHECK, ARCHIVE, GAMETEST cycle with your "goodie mod".. it's soooooo much more convenient and time-saving.. and less chance of errors with all that file moving.. Thanks again for the good tip.