• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

AVG detects something strange

Started by Meastro444, February 09, 2008, 02:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meastro444

i know this aint a virus, but i did want you to know that this has popped up with me.
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

JoeST

It is probably because it moves files around/changes file types/unpacks files into your system/deletes files
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

wouanagaine

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

Meastro444

please explain wouanagaine, you want me to fill in a false positive form or what? ()what() %confuso

Shadow Assassin

Is your copy of AVGFree updated with the latest virus definitions? I think that's what the forum topic linked to is saying - maybe you just need to check that it's updated.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

TheTeaCat

I got that too last night.
exactly the same as you.  Ran an update for my avg, did a full system scan and all fine.
All my other spyware removal missed it but system all fine now :D

I recommend checking your avg is fully up to date and a full rescan.
Hope this helps.

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

sarjm

The problem is that the latest AVG virus definition update is giving a false positive in:-
Setup_ElRail_Facelift_Mod.exe
Rural_Highway_Mod_Setup.exe
NetworkAddonMod_Update_Setup.exe
Possibly others which I do not have on my PC.
It is only the latest AVG update which is doing this.
Checked them at http://virusscan.jotti.org/

Meastro444

when i turn my system on, it automatticly updates and perfoms a full system scan. it just popped up today.

its no big deal, i can remove those files myself, but i thought you (meaning creators) should know ;)

Andreas

Both the Clickteam and Nullsoft installers were reported as "virus" a couple of times with freeware antivirus software like AVG or AntiVir. I don't know which component is triggering the alarm, but so far, I haven't heard from any files at the STEX/LEX/... that were infested by a virus, at least not such files that were uploaded by "trustful" people like the BSC, the NAM Team etc. Rest assured, I don't want to have any viruses on my system as well, and luckily, my computer has been clean since many years, apart from one incident that slipped into my browser cache when I had my local HTTP proxy disabled for some reason. Luckily, I got rid of the bastard after one or two hours scanning with various tools.
Andreas

XiahouDun

I run a scan with Avast on most files I download, and nothing from the LEX/STEX/PLEX has ever given me a virus warning, including all the files mentioned here.
Current project: Movies 14

You may have meant to search for Houdini. (result of searching for XiahouDun on SC4D)

Shadow Assassin

Same here with NOD32. Nothing has come up in the installers, either.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!