• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Roads, Bridges and missing mods..

Started by HandsOn, February 12, 2008, 03:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HandsOn

Another old man here seeking answers, help, et al: I've seen tutorials on how to build a land bridge. All mention the "Rain Tool" but queries on different sites have not found anything. Thus: who knows its hiding place??

That was the easy question; now for something that may not be possible. Rails, roads, streets, or any other means of non-watery transport under bridges? Any chance of that? Anyone?

Much obliged.

Why not visit The Empire MD
Just updated on July 2nd, 2008
And after the game's done.. - The Storyteller's Logbook

RebaLynnTS

Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

Pat

Rebalynn has pointed you in the right direction for the rain tool but far as having any transits under the bridge if you have a land bridge I havent found anything possible for that...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

JoeST

There is a set of plugins on the STEX that allow some transport under bridges, but its limited.

Under Bridge Road
Under Bridge Highway

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

HandsOn

&apls
Thanks, everyone, this all helps immensely. Always thought it odd that a bridge could not cross another transport. Problems solved (not to worry, I have plenty more where these cam from)

JoeST

HandsOn

Quote from: star.torturer on February 13, 2008, 04:49:54 AM
ask away... I like searching

Joe
You asked for it! Here's one that might be anathema to you. I recently had to replace my worn SC4 CD's with a new set of SC4D/RH. Bought those from a UK site because, of course, I would want to trawl through the game in French or German. However, all my regions where developed with the original US version. So now I have my population, literally, driving on the wrong side of the road, e.g., on the left in right-hand streets, and down the wrong end of turning lanes.

Thus: how do I get the buggers to drive on the right?

JoeST

HandsOn

Quote from: star.torturer on February 13, 2008, 04:59:31 AM
u looked here?
Bloody marvelous( &idea), I think I do understand it. Messing with regEdit is easy enough, but some of the messages seem to imply that a DAT file needs to be changed as well, because while my Maxis\Sc4 folder contains all manner of European localization DAT's, the US English is not there. And I'd like the game to retain a civilized language, ergo English, but merely make the Sims think they're living elsewhere. And I haven't a clue how to edit the DAT file ( ()what())..

And: everyone of my language folders has one or more SimCityLocale.DAT in it. So, which one SC4 uses will be in the registry. Now it remains from whence I get the US DAT..?

JoeST

Right... I emailed you...

now whats ur next question?

HandsOn

Quote from: star.torturer on February 13, 2008, 05:17:04 AM
Right... I emailed you...

now whats ur next question?

That one is two-fold (since you seem up for it - I am going to exploit it): First I got an ingame message for some cities, that "Plug-in 743303503" was missing. With an old fashioned hex-editor I seemed to trace that to DaddyO's UHaul lot and Bonus pack. Re-installed that and everything seemed to be fine until..the self-same message appeared in another city which never had UHaul (in fact all it has is some roads and a sunken, unadorned ground highway, plus railway lines.

Someone suggested using SC4Tool. Downloaded that only to fins that it hangs on my machine shortly after it starts. This maybe Vista related. My specs: Vista Home premium, dual-core 2.6GHz, nVidia 8800 GT, oodles of memory, and a terrabyte ofdisk space (I got a generous office manager).

And while I'm at it: is there any way to tell SC4 on which display it ought to show up?

Now, how can I return all these favours?

JoeST

uh... just keep the lot???...

and dont know why SC4Tool doent work... what were you trying to use it for? maybe iLives Reader will be simelar.

Sorry, stuck on that...

Joe

EDIT: OMG...so simple....cant believe I didnt think of that one, well done Dita

xxdita

You need to run SC4Tool in Compatibility Mode for XP.

HandsOn

Quote from: xxdita on February 13, 2008, 05:44:41 AM
You need to run SC4Tool in Compatibility Mode for XP.

Love to, except that it freezes right after loading, thus I've no chance to get to its options/preferences (this is me guessing that's were I would select compatibility mode?).. %confuso

JoeST

right click on the shortcut, and go to properties. on the Compatibility  tab you should be able to do it.

Andreas

You also have to disable the Vista visual styles for SC4Tool, then it should work fine (there's a thread about it in the modding program forum).
Andreas

HandsOn

Quote from: Andreas on February 13, 2008, 09:31:05 AM
You also have to disable the Vista visual styles for SC4Tool, then it should work fine (there's a thread about it in the modding program forum).

Will do. I just came across another Vista annoyance: because I control several machines I must keep automatic updates on. But whenever MS decides to install one - supposedly in background, SC4 crashes without warning. Nifty, is it not? :thumbsdown: