• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Civil engineering support thread: slope mods, other tools and issues

Started by Ennedi, February 14, 2008, 03:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ennedi

@Warrior: We can check if the slope mod can have anything common with the "0,1 m" effect you described.
Please test your leveller with three versions of the slope mod I attached to this message (remember, remove your existing slope mod first and use only one version at a time. The slope mod should be placed after NAM (ie. not in the root folder, but in the folder which the game will read after NAM folder. It can be simply "Slope Mod" folder).

If any of these mod will remove your effect, please inform me. It will be taken into account at the next slope mod update. If not, I have the next idea  ;) (in fact I suppose the reason is different)

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Jonathan

I can't do anything more tonight, as I have to do homework(pointless stuff  :) ), and I'm going out after school tomorrow, so the earliest I can do anything is Tuesday evening. If I can fit it in I will though.

Ennedi

New Horizons Productions
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

allan_kuan1992

any update on this recently? the puzzle piece approach is a breakthrough, at least for me.

- Allan Kuan

Ennedi

Quote from: allan_kuan1992 on July 08, 2008, 01:02:48 AM
any update on this recently? the puzzle piece approach is a breakthrough, at least for me.

- Allan Kuan

Don't worry Allan! I think Warrior will work on it if he will find enought time. All of us are limited by RL events, I must also say that the lotting process (especially if it is is connected with new methods of modifying game parameters) needs much testing and we can often meet completely unexpected problems  ;D. So it is sometimes difficult to say when the work will be finished, even if the test version seems to work correctly.

I can say the same about Shosaloza - I saw your comment in my MD (thank you!) but I would rather to answer here, my new update is not ready yet and some of my viewers could be disappointed seeing a single reply instead of an update  :). I make some experiments with new stuff and with terrain mods, this theme is especially time - consuming  $%Grinno$% I also need some time to learn more about graphics software. But everything is done to give you some pleasure in future  :)
I hope I will be able to make an update in next two weeks.

I also think about new version(s) of my slope mod. I have read all comments in this thread very carefully and I'd like to create mods with some new possibilities. Unfortunately it is rather impossible to have "all-in-one", so I suppose I will need to create some removable tools (to put into Plugins when needed, then save the game and remove). I think it will be useful at least for a few people. But this task will need a few weeks too  :)

Adam
New Horizons Productions

allan_kuan1992

Ennedi

Just a little note: A few days ago I received the following comment in my Slope Mod lot description in LEX (from deion303111):

QuoteATTENTION: If using the SFBT Diagonal Fillers this will disturb the way they work. Use with caution. My advice is to build all your slopes and then exit the game. Remove the slope mod, start the game, plop the fillers, and then when ever taking pictures leave the slope mod out. Not trying to discourage downloads or anything. Just a little attention.

This is not true. There is no way to affect SFBT Diagonal Fillers by the Slope Mod, I use both of them together all the time and I haven't any problems. But of course I checked it.

SFBT Fillers work well on flat surfaces (with the slope mod installed)

And of course they work well on the slope too

I remember about all comments and suggestions about the slope mod announced in this thread. I'm going to make some further modifications, but now I have to finish my RL work  :)

Adam
New Horizons Productions

Simpson

Wow Ennedi, very good work here. These two pics looks fine ;)
I'm until forward the next... ;)
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

FrankU

I am very interested in the ploppable puzzle piece for levelling land.
I advise to make not too many differnt sizes. I guess the plops are needed for:
- digging tiles out of the water along water edges: for ports.
- levelling land for raised or sunken highways and rail.

So my advice is: 1x3, 1x6, 1x10, 2x10 and 6x6
1x3 for the small additions,
1x6 for longer additions, but still relatively small enlargements,
1x10 for raised/sunken roads and rail,
2x10 for raised/sunken avenue and highway,
6x6 for enlargement of the ports.

I guess that a slope modd with horizontal "slopes" will not be able to raise land out of the water?

Ennedi

After some experiments I can say that - in my opinion - levelling the terrain can be done very fast, precisely and comfortable with the help of existing terraforming tools. We only need to learn how to use them and this knowledge is not popular in the SC4 community.

To help with it I created a new tutorial, you can find it here.
Maybe it will help to some people?  :)

Adam

Edit: And another surprise for you: The temporary plugin for building land bridges without the rain tool and for levelling the terrain using transit networks.
You can find it here
New Horizons Productions

FrankU

Ennedi,

The tutorial is completely clear to me. In my experience though, too often there are small differences in height that appear, so the terrain isn't completely flat in the end. So I don't feel comfortable with that solution.
I will use your slope mod though, as soon as possible. It looks promising. Also for the possibility to make land bridges.
One time I wanted to make a land bridge in a seaport tile with lots of ships in the water. After I had put some rain into the small hole where the bridge should come I found out that all ships had sunken (I guess?). That was not funny! Of course I found out after having saved my city...  :'(
So the rain tool does have some effect on existing lots in the water.

sim-al2

Reopen the city and see if the ships are still sunken; the effect should not be permenant.
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

FrankU

Ennedi,
I have been experimenting with your temporary levelling tool. It is great and works perfect.
Yes indeed, sometimes you need to save and exit the game, but that is not too annoying to me.
I though it was pity that I could not extend my land over water with the mod. But I found a simple solution.
If I drag a road along the edge of the water, to secure the level, I can raise ground from out of the water by placing the NAM road onramp puzzle piece! It gives a perfect flat extension.

Let's see if I have a picture.

Here is my harbour edge. I want to extend it.
I drag a road, one tile away from the edge of the water.

Then I place the onramps.

Well, the rest is easy.

BTW: this trick also works without your slope mod, only the extension will not be flat, but the ground can be raised by means of the single street trick.

Look here:

I want to make a tunnel under water

So I extend the land

I extend more

Now I need to raise it

And I can build my tunnel

Fun!

rooker1

FrankU, all these pictures are the same.  ???
And once you fix them can you please wrap them in the "Insert Image" code.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

FrankU

Robin, yeah, I saw it.  :thumbsup:
You are just too quick!
Repaired.

Might this technique be good enough for a tutorial? I'll gladly make it.

Ennedi

FrankU,

Yes, it is very simple and effective solution!  &apls
You showed a real creativity, it would be fantastic if more people would have fun making such experiments  :D :thumbsup:

Of course it is good enough for a tutorial, please make it!
Your method is safe, because we usually can place transit network pieces next to existing lots without damaging them. So if you have your waterfront developed yet and you want to modify it, you can safely make it your way.
This method will be effective mainly for levelling smaller areas - you terraform 3x1 tiles each time. But it is enough in many cases. I will prepare another tool for bigger engineering works in seaports and I will show it soon - but it will be a temporary mod again, so your solution will be still useful.

I remember what you said about "not completely" levelling the terrain if we use terraforming tools. I'm going to check it carefully, maybe there is another "0,1 m height difference" case? I didn't notice it yet. Of course I will inform you about results.

I'm very glad to see other people using this thread to show their own experiments! I would love to see more of them  :thumbsup:

Adam
New Horizons Productions

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

RippleJet

Perfect for making seaports, FrankU! &apls
And yes, please post it as a separate tutorial in the "Terraforming Tutorials" section! :thumbsup:

JoeST

And Tage forgot, but you should post it on the wiki also :)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

RippleJet