• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BATs by antn.

Started by antn, March 09, 2008, 12:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antn

So I have decided to start posting here on sc4d after more than a year of lurking. Why I post now is because i was looking around in an old plugins folder and found some of my early works. ( I know it might sound a bit ridicolous to talk about early works when I have never released anything or even showed what I have done before.) What I am going to show now is only a fraction of what I have done but too often I get bored of a project and start something new, I guess that is very common. Maybe if I start showing people what I do I would be put under pressure by you to finish my projects.

Anyhow, here is what I want to show you this time.
In the first two picture you can see my start for a diagonal w2w building set, the 45 degree cornerbuilding is not very well performed, I don't know why I didn't make that wall diagonal. You can also see the Ferring International Center, from Copenhagen, Denmark.

Here is a pier I did for a reason I no longer remember.

And now to some of my more recent works.
A residential highrise I doodled.

And one of my current projects a super post panamax gauntry crane, modeled after the ones in Scandiahamnen, Gothenburg, Sweden.

I am working on some other cranes for naval use, among those the huge crane that was used by the shipbuilding company Kockums in Malmoe but is now sold and moved to Hyundai Heavy Industries in Ulsan, South Korea.

khoianh94

That looks very nice. Only the corner buildings in the first screenshot need some more details.  :thumbsup:

Heblem

Nice bats!  :thumbsup: i like the orange/white tower, is that for a 1x1 or 2x2 lot?

Krio

Ferring Tower looks good, but I suggest you work more on your diagonals. The red with black roof won't be W2W with other people's diagonals, you need to make the building closer to the road like the brown one is. Brown has problem with roof, even its unready it looks weird. IMO you could relase the bridge, just work with the textures and it will be fine. :thumbsup:

autoVino

I like the geometric simplicity of the residential highrise.  It lacks ostentation and only because of that it looks great.  :thumbsup:

antn

Thought I should kick this thread back to life... I do it by showing some WIP.

Some of my recent projects, all recreations of, or inspired by New York buildings.

This is at the corner of E 138th Street & Cypress Avenue in The Bronx.

Rowhouses inspired by the brownstone houses in Bed-Stuy and other neighbourhoods of NYC.

Hearst Tower in Midtown Manhattan.

Detached house, this kind of houses can be found in the less dense but still urban areas around and in NYC, this one is modeled after a house in Queens close to Liberty Avenue.

io_bg

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Sciurus

That's excellent &apls, but why not doing sweden BATs as your swedish? :thumbsup:

Guillaume. :)
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Silur

I like Your pier - only me be with some rural details ( not so bright) ...
Thank You ...
Nicks.

antn

Quote from: io_bg on April 21, 2011, 10:18:06 AM
These look great :thumbsup:
Thanks!
Quote from: Sciurus on April 21, 2011, 10:49:54 AM
That's excellent &apls, but why not doing sweden BATs as your swedish? :thumbsup:

Guillaume. :)
I usually make buildings that would fit in the city wich I'm currently playing, and now I play with a NYC-styled city. But I do have a building that is almost done and are Swedish.
Residential building from the neighbourhood of Ribersborg, Malmö.

Quote from: Silur on April 21, 2011, 10:54:41 AM
I like Your pier - only me be with some rural details ( not so bright) ...
Thank You ...
Nicks.

I'm afraid that the pier is lost, I'm not sure though. But if it's still around it's on a disconnected computer some 600km away from where I am, anyways I'll see if can get someone to get all the files from that computer and send them to me. If it's still on there I'll fix it up with better textures.

EDIT:
I found another old building laying around, I made preview render and here it is, a corner building from Astoria in Queens, NY.

jmyers2043

Quote from: antn on April 21, 2011, 09:49:57 AM
Thought I should kick this thread back to life... I do it by showing some WIP.

Some of my recent projects, all recreations of, or inspired by New York buildings.

This is at the corner of E 138th Street & Cypress Avenue in The Bronx.

Rowhouses inspired by the brownstone houses in Bed-Stuy and other neighbourhoods of NYC.

Hey Antn

How about that! Some works in progress?

They are looking very nice and I like the models a lot. I wish to encourage you to pay attention to the roof textures. A lot of folk spend time making duct works and air condition units. Cluttering up the roof to add visual interest. It looks like you've added something that looks like leaves collecting in the corners. That is actually a good idea and I don't recall seeing that sort of thing before (making a mental note to self) I don't know what kind of paint program you have - so I'll go out on a limb and suggest that the the tar paper textures are a good choice. My minds eye thinks that some smudging, water stains, or a gradient is all that's needed to make these roofs outstanding.

Good Luck

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

Lowkee33

The Bed-Stuy houses are right on, for a while I lived in one.  Don't know what tile constraints you have, but in general, the front steps/fence area of these houses go out a little further.  These houses also have backyards, much like the GasCooker row houses.

As for me being a jerk ::), I think that every color house you make should have a different pattern of AC units, as well as consider various roof textures, or various smudging/water stain patterns that Jmyers recommends.

Those two fireplaces bring back memories, though I believe we had roof access too.  Many neighbors had beehives up there.

Sciurus

Ah ok, I see. The swedish BAT you did is pretty good, but the front's texture is a bit flashy for me ::)

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

riiga

Vad ska man säga...? Fy fan så snygga byggnader, speciellt hyreshuset från Malmö!  :thumbsup:

I don't know what to say... but your buildings are sure as heck awesome!

kapete

Jag älskar dessa svenska bostäder! &apls
I love that swedish residentials!

They remember me somehow to some spanish buildings here where I live.

Wanna see more! :thumbsup:

DaveN

This block of Malmo area looks interesting. Waiting for the final effect. How far is well. How do you manage to finish what I'm for, and right away I write on demand. Way to go.  &apls

antn

Quote from: jmyers2043 on April 21, 2011, 05:42:14 PM
Hey Antn

How about that! Some works in progress?

They are looking very nice and I like the models a lot. I wish to encourage you to pay attention to the roof textures. A lot of folk spend time making duct works and air condition units. Cluttering up the roof to add visual interest. It looks like you've added something that looks like leaves collecting in the corners. That is actually a good idea and I don't recall seeing that sort of thing before (making a mental note to self) I don't know what kind of paint program you have - so I'll go out on a limb and suggest that the the tar paper textures are a good choice. My minds eye thinks that some smudging, water stains, or a gradient is all that's needed to make these roofs outstanding.

Good Luck

- Jim

There won't be any ducts or AC-units on the roofs of the rowhouses, but I'm going to put AC on the roof of the Bronx corner building, that black thing on the wall is ducts for ventilation from a deli kitchen I believe, going up to AC units on the roof.
Yes that is leaves, glad you noticed :), there is a leaf brush in photoshop that comes quite handy for that. Some more work on the roof texture is needed IMO too.
Thanks for commenting!

Quote from: Lowkee33 on April 22, 2011, 07:31:10 AM
The Bed-Stuy houses are right on, for a while I lived in one.  Don't know what tile constraints you have, but in general, the front steps/fence area of these houses go out a little further.  These houses also have backyards, much like the GasCooker row houses.

As for me being a jerk ::), I think that every color house you make should have a different pattern of AC units, as well as consider various roof textures, or various smudging/water stain patterns that Jmyers recommends.

Those two fireplaces bring back memories, though I believe we had roof access too.  Many neighbors had beehives up there.

Good to hear that they are right on, coming from a former resident and all. There are room for the steps to go further out in the street, I don't know the depth of the building ATM but I was planning to put them on 1x2 lots with two houses on each side by side. That makes room for small backyards as well.
Don't worry about being a jerk if being a jerk is to point out what is needed to improve my works. It's a simple task to change the placement of the AC units so that I will do, and also vary the roof texture. I have seen that many of those houses do have roof access, but on this there are no roof access. I have also seen that some houses have roofs with the portion towards the street is sloping, actually I think I have a BAT of such a building somewhere. But beehives on the roof is somthing I'll remember for later.

Quote from: Sciurus on April 22, 2011, 08:23:58 AM
Ah ok, I see. The swedish BAT you did is pretty good, but the front's texture is a bit flashy for me ::)

Guillaume :thumbsup:

Thanks! By flashy do you mean its color is too saturated? What do you think of decrease the saturation and maybe make the tiles smaller?

Quote from: riiga on April 22, 2011, 10:54:22 AM
Vad ska man säga...? Fy fan så snygga byggnader, speciellt hyreshuset från Malmö!  :thumbsup:

I don't know what to say... but your buildings are sure as heck awesome!

Tack så mycket, kanske något som kan passa i Österköping. ;)

Quote from: kapete on April 22, 2011, 04:14:45 PM
Jag älskar dessa svenska bostäder! &apls
I love that swedish residentials!

They remember me somehow to some spanish buildings here where I live.

Wanna see more! :thumbsup:

Tack!

That is interesting, if you have some pictures of those buildings I would very much like to see them.

Quote from: DaveN on April 22, 2011, 04:35:37 PM
This block of Malmo area looks interesting. Waiting for the final effect. How far is well. How do you manage to finish what I'm for, and right away I write on demand. Way to go.  &apls

Thanks, and thanks for commenting, though I'm not quite sure what you mean by "How do you manage to finish what I'm for, and right away I write on demand", but anyhow thanks.

I've worked on the Bronx corner building today and I hope to show some previews of it tomorrow.

Aaron Graham

Great Job!!!! glad to see someone working on NYC buildings.  :thumbsup:  &apls
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

Lowkee33

Quote from: antn on April 22, 2011, 06:16:42 PMI was planning to put them on 1x2 lots with two houses on each side by side. That makes room for small backyards as well.

Sounds about right.  Google map.  As you zoom out you will see the scope of NYC.  Every one of these blocks has pretty much the same brownstone design, though lawn ornaments get more expensive to the west.

supremec

I love the Hearst Tower, it's a very good start  &apls  &apls
Click on the banner to see my BATs