• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Casper's Portfolio - Reading - 2016 Update 1 - Hornet (Regional Airport)

Started by CasperVg, May 31, 2008, 10:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

threestooges

Nice work Casper. When I saw the episode title I got a bit worried. I know it's a military acronym, but seeing it on the preview screen I thought it may have been directed at your region as a whole. Good to see that's not the case though. You did a lot with a relatively small space there, and I like that you left open spaces (parks) and parking lots. I think JBSimio's campus parking lots have become my default set for any given location barring industrial manufacturing. They look great and are so versatile. What was the little musical thing around 6:00? Was that from the actual session or was that added in? Also, which airport is that? I'm not too familiar with it. A dirt strip runway for an air base seems a bit odd, but it works here. Lastly, I kind of like the sped up show. Makes it easier to watch in one sitting while still getting to see all of the action.
-Matt

sunv123

I don't know much about millitary bases, but i know that one is good! ()stsfd()

Since all of your previous videos were 20+ minutes long, this one was a little strange, because i got used to the long ones. $%Grinno$%

BTW, what does FUBAR mean? ()what()
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

jmyers2043

The military base was enjoyable to watch. You ran out of money half way through  :D  I use the Daely BSC funding mod when I'm caught by surprise.

- Jim
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

RickD

I have watched some more videos yesterday but I am still only at #17.  ::)

By the way, thanks for the tip with setting the CPUcount to the actual number of cores. I had it at one, as suggested in many threads. But increasing it to the actual number of cores gave the game an enormous performance boost. No crashes since then, but I only tested for a few hours yet. Considering the performance I could even live with an occasional crash every couple of hours.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

kj3400

Quote from: sunv123 on November 13, 2012, 03:01:20 PM
I don't know much about millitary bases, but i know that one is good! ()stsfd()

Since all of your previous videos were 20+ minutes long, this one was a little strange, because i got used to the long ones. $%Grinno$%

BTW, what does FUBAR mean? ()what()

Just go to google and type FUBAR. I'd post a link but the page has some profanity and I don't think it would be such a good idea.

That was an excellent video. The base looks good and using parks and parking lots for variety is something I'd have never thought of.
I think I've been here long enough, call me Kenneth/Kenny.
Visit

The Commonwealth of Paradise at ST

The Commonwealth of Paradise at SC4 Wiki

ivo_su

Casper I am a real fan of your episodes and looked at the interview that you gave recently. I really can not wait to watch all your videos and although it is impossible I would like to see a new episode every day. Sometimes honestly laugh when you are wondering how to deal with something that is easy for me, but sometimes I learn useful things from you.

CasperVg

Feel free to check out the OSITM interviews by Matt (threestooges), if you haven't already, they're over here!

Replies:
Swordmaster: I have considered posting pictures, but I feel it would be a step back from what I've been trying to do so far. I'm glad to hear that you like the cities though. What I sometimes do if I don't have time to keep up with someone else's video series entirely, I just put them on in the background and start switch tabs/windows when I think something cool is going on (judging by the sound).
threestooges: Yeah, hehe, luckily it wasn't as bad as you thought it was. JBSimio's have become my standard too. They're great, aside from the fact they're a bit too much lit-up at night.
sunv: Thanks! Google has the awnsers you desire  ;)
jmeyers: Thanks! Using the BSC Bank would've been a good idea. I have it installed actually, just forgot to activate it. It makes sense to use such cheats when I'm building things that wouldn't be funded by the city (alone), doesn't it?
RickD: Glad to hear you're catching up. That's why I slowed down the updates a little, a lot of people were telling me they enjoyed the episodes but didn't have enough time to keep up with 30mins of video every 2-3 days. Entirely understandable :)
kj3400: Thanks! I felt like even army bases needed some kind of free space/variety/nature in them.
ivo_su: Thank you! Yeah daily updates are definitely not possible right now, I have to think about my Uni classes  %wrd

Episode 23: FUBAR

First SC4 episode since I upgraded to Windows 8 so we fix up some stuff and continue working on Salsey/the Army Base

Enjoy!
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

sunv123

Hehe, i just got a new windows 8 computer today at black Friday in the US here. With the Windows 8, i agree with you, it is very nice.

Also , thanks for showing us that trick to make curved roads while pressing shift. :) I am really enjoying these video updates from you. :)

CasperVg

Feel free to check out the OSITM interviews by Matt (threestooges), if you haven't already, they're over here!

Replies:
sunv: Thank you!

Episode 25: Reading Interregional Airport

http://www.youtube.com/v/MdX6Ty2yn3M
We finally set off to build a airport for the region, but first we need to upgrade roads and rails around it so they can handle the extra traffic... Airport afficionadoes of SC4D, please let me know if I'm screwing things up, because I know next to nothing about RL airport/runway design :P

Youtube is currently having some issues starting video's for some people (including myself) so if that happens to you, check back later  :thumbsup:

Enjoy!

[/quote]

sunv123

So, you should watch this video to learn more about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMOkL3piI38

Or you could look at this runway at the airport near mine to get some information.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl Then go to the airport. Or you could take a little tour. $%Grinno$%

Am i the only one who looks at this? &mmm

CasperVg

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for supporting me through this OSITM month, and thanks to the OSITM crew for choosing me to be in OSITM in this awesome SC4D birthday month.

Thank you!

Quote from: sunv123 on November 30, 2012, 02:34:49 PMAm i the only one who looks at this? &mmm
I would hope not, but it does get a little quiet in here sometimes  :-\

threestooges

I like the progress on the airport Casper. A few suggestions from my brief experience with them, it's easier to start from the runways (as you did) then place the planes and work the terminals in around them. That way you get a better idea of just how much space is needed. I remember having to scrap my whole setup a couple times during construction. Nice to know about that BSC funding mod. It beats having to use the moolah cheat every five minutes while experimenting with the buildings.

Also, what pack are the jetways you were using from? I know the plane lots you had at the top of your airport menu come with their own, but I liked the look of the ones you were using too.
-Matt

krbe

If you haven't built airport first, the first rule is SPACE - you need tons of it. Remember that aircraft are big, and they need a lot of space to manoeuvre. For a small airport it is a lot easier to achieve this without concourses.

Also your airport plugins look a bit old; you should take a look at the AC Team catalogue here and Joelyboy911's and WC_EEND's uploads at the STEX. It will look a lot better than a bunch of non-descript 707s.

For an "interregional" the following aircraft will fit: Regional aircraft: Dash-8, ATRs, CRJs, ERJs, and Avro RJs; mainline aircraft: Boeing 737/717s, A320s, McDonnell Douglas MD-80/90s. As for the runway, it should be about 120 to 180 tiles long if you want it realistic - and there is a readme in one of the RMIP packages that'll help you with the markings.

bat

Some great episodes there! Fantastic work on your city! :thumbsup:

CasperVg

Replies:
Coming soon, I'm in a hurry right now

Episode 26: Taxiways, aprons and more..

http://www.youtube.com/v/cZ6nK_yg9uA
In this episode we continue working on Reading's regional airport

Enjoy!

threestooges

The items you were plopping around 4:00 are designed for pilots to double check and correct their navigation instruments. The small one is for VOR (VHF Omnidirctional Radio (VHF standing for Very High Frequency)) navigation. The larger one is designed to be placed somewhere far away from magnetic interference so that pilots can re-orient their compass to magnetic north.

As far as the runway signs (around 5:00) those are to show which taxiway or runway is approaching. Effectively a street sign, showing which route you're on, and which one you're about to cross.

I like the addition of the fences (7:15). Short of the BSC - SNM barbed wire fences, it's kind of hard to find a decent area fence sometimes.

I like the medianless avenue used in 10:15. Too often I forget about all the great options the NAM offers.

As for the station in 15:15, I love the building. However, with the size of the airport, it almost seems a bit much in comparison, size-wise. Perhaps the airport will have to expand to match the supply of the station.

The puzzle piece bug... (referenced 17:45) yeah, it's a bit of a problem. Plopping the puzzle pieces first greatly reduces (if not eliminates) the risk of a CTD, but then that makes it a bit awkward when building the way you are. You could bulldoze, lay the tracks, and then rebuild the station, but a quick save before plopping the puzzle pieces would likely get you better mileage in the long term.

I liked the ultimate design for the switches at 19:45, but it'll be interesting to see how you work things around the tracks to explain why it arched out like that before entering the station. Also, would it make sense to have some sort of railyard near there? With all the traffic the station appears to expect, would there be a basic maintenance yard there?

At 22:30, I think the avenue transition helps with the realism too, since there is the median to help prevent drivers from smacking the center pylon.

Nice update Casper, and good luck on finals.
-Matt

CasperVg

Replies:
threestooges: Thanks for the.. wordy.. reply, and especially for the info about the runway thingies - are you secretly an aerospace engineer? As for the station, it is indeed rather large for the size of the airport right now, but hopefully the airport will grow significantly later on, and perhaps the station can also serve as an international HSRail hub later on.

Episode 27: Big news..

http://www.youtube.com/v/NuFaNLiy5Ts
In this short episode I announce some cool news :)

Enjoy!

threestooges

That is indeed big news Casper. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. The rest of the update was good too. As far as aerospace engineering, my only real experience there is comprised of paper airplanes. I do enjoy flight sim games though. I actually flew a couple times (in the sim) with a guy who used to work at an airport and liked planes. A fair bit of what I know about the markings, and particularly the localizers and all that came from him (and from some of the scenarios in the sim... you learn quickly when air traffic control starts yelling at you). The rest of what I know comes from flights I've taken, observations I've made during them, and the research I did when making the airport update for Greenacre.

It amuses me your description of my reply was "wordy." I thought you would know by now that "wordy" is what I do, heh heh.
-Matt

vortext

Hm yeah, airports are almost a subgenre within simcity. I've played with them a little when I rediscovered the game but all these signals and runway markings require some study to get it right. Though one thing I do know, your runway is too short! But you already knew that as well.  ;)

Anyhow, it'll be interesting to hear your thoughts on the new SimCity when it's released. I'm already looking forward to a 'lets play' review. :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

sunv123

I really like the elevated plane that you put near the terminal. :thumbsup: I'm not sure if you know this or not, but you can drag the transitions in place. ;)

In my opinion, I'm not a big fan of Simcity 2013, by looking at the picture that Haljackey put up, It really did look like a 70 dollar Facebook Cityville game. :thumbsdown: