• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

old passage Rotterdam

Started by Fledder200, February 19, 2007, 01:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fledder200

so i hope the is the right place...otherwise move me around :)

i found a amazing building on the internet last week, it was a high class "mall" in the begining of the early 1900s in Rotterdam. it was destroyed in WWII by the german bombardments in 1940. sadley this great and amazing building was never rebuild!
i found some pic's, but there are not more pic's than the pic's i can show you! i hope someone has a good feeling about this building and wants to recreat this amazing and beautiful building! My CJ/MD is based on old duth buildings and/or other old buildings and it would look amazing in it! and i'll alot of people are dieing to have this jewel!

the buildings front thru the years.the first is when it just was build in 1900.
noteced that the square in front of the building keeps on changeing?
We Rotterdammers sure know how to make beautifull buildings! ( even back than :p)

the "passage" is in the upper left cornor, this is the only airpic there is...
all those buildings on the pic don't exist anymore :(

a better view of the front of the building, this front is the one i like most becouse of the add's on the building!
it makes it look realy good!

some pics from inside the "passage" just to see how big it was...and beautiful ofcourse!

i hope someone wants to have a look at this...and is falling in love with this building as i did!
like i said there are no more pic's other than the pic shown here!
i can give you background information and tell you everything you need to know
exept the buildings colors, hight,widh and lenght!
if you need to know something...please pm me or drop it in your comments!!
thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is too short to wear bad clothes...and ugly shoes!

NikNik

Wow indeed great building Fledder. I sincerely hope that some brilliant batter/lotter will be able to recreate thispiece of Dutch History.
In my opinion there are too little passages to download (if any). Passages were a popular commercial attraction in the 19th century. The Hague has a nice one too: The Hague passage. Don't mind the language just look at the pics.

Oef, I am glad to find at least one non-dutch passages: Russian passage

Basically a "Passage" is a shopping mall of the 19th Century.

Nik-Nik

Fledder200

wow thanks NikNIk!!!!!! you just edit a new pic ( it's in that link you gave) of the Rotterdam passage and some more info!!!!!! :)

In Rotterdam is in 1878 een 100 meter lange Passage gebouwd tussen de Korte Hoogstraat en de Coolsingel (tot 1914 een echte singel met water). Deze passage, met een zeer bijzonder poortgebouw aan de Coolsingel, heeft het bombardement van 14 mei 1940 niet overleefd.

means:
In Rotterdam is a 100 meter long passage was build, between the Kortehoogstraat and the Coolsingel ( till 1914 a canal) this passage, with his special gatebuilding didn't survive the bombarding on may 14th, 1940

so we know now what lenght it was : 100 meters!!

maybe we can make a treasure hunt out of this LOL

thanx NikNik!!  :thumbsup:

sebes

Fledder, I just fell in love with this building. I didn't even know it ever existed... I hope that one of the gifted batters here will find the time to re-create this great old shopping mall   &kiss
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Fledder200

i know sebes!!! i didn't know it existed aswel!
if my grandma still was alive she could tell me about it...but she is gone :(
and my other grand ma was born three years before the war...so she doesn't know something about it aswel!

and i realy don't know old people....yes my parants, but they don't know something about it.

seems like only the Dutch love this Building....no body said anything about this beauty :(

sebes

My family is from Rotterdam, but also nobody left to tell from before the war... :(
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Fledder200

i can ask random old people on the street....but i'll bet they think i'm gonna rob them ( i have that alot :()

sebes

Ferry - during my last vacation on the plane I talked with my mother and she (not being from Rotterdam) told me that her oncle had a shop in the Passage, and that my grand-mother actually has worked there...  After the bombings they opened a new shop in the Hoogstraat and my mother has worked there even... I did not know.

So, now I am even more interested in this Passage. I really hope that somebody will be willing and able to make this beauty....

So - bumping this bat-request thread... slap me if not OK!
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Strechnitz

I agree with you guys. This is a) a great building and b) something we could well use in SC4.

The only alternative now is the(gorgious and sublime) gallery printemps by Porkisimo.
But who of the batters with a finesse for classic styled buildings would be the right person to contact on this?

Strechnitz.

BTW isn't it funny how sometimes a seemingly unimportant topic suddenly seem to be very close at home Sebes?

Fledder200

*slap*   :D

Thanx for the info...so i can visit your mom ( i hope she can make some good coffee;)) and ask about this amazing building :)

well Stechnitz gave me a good advise aswell...instead of attacking old lady's on the sreet and interrogate them...i could go to the Rotterdam city archive :)
that was a good advise :)

mightygoose

im not dutch i love this building it loks magnificent, reminds me of the original crystal palace in london.

on a side note i also love that huge builidng centre right. it looks soo contemprary for the age of the photograph....
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Glenni

I like it, it's stunning and very beatyful isnide.. well it WAS, as it's gone :'(

callagrafx

Quote from: mightygoose on June 06, 2007, 03:54:52 AM
im not dutch i love this building it loks magnificent, reminds me of the original crystal palace in london.

Erm...not seeing the similarity

Now what poor sod will attempt Crystal Palace...new adventures in raytracing :D :D
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Strechnitz

Here is a rare pic of the entrance on the other side of the building which actualy was the front main entrance when the passage was built. after it was built they filled up the Coolsingel and turned it into the MAin Avenue of the city.

And Mighty Goose. that big modernist building was the pre war version of the bijenkorf. The most exclusive department store in the Netherlands. It was a real gem. here are three pics.

Daytime

Evening

Brasserie

Strechnitz

mightygoose

dayum i call shotgun on BATTing that, what do you reckon.... 6x3 8x4????
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Fledder200

@callagrafx...i think he means the inside!! :) that looks like crystal palace :)

@mightygoose...i think w2w 8x4 would be better :)

sebes

Mmm... I think 3x8 would be more realistic (if you include the back-end of the passage)
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN