• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

.:: Jakarta, capital of Indonesia ::. On Hold

Started by derwilly, June 24, 2008, 02:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simpson

Lol I really like your work in this city it's very good
Great innondation I love the water on the highway lol very good  ;) :thumbsup:
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

bat

Great use there of the floods in that new update!
Wonderful work on your city and pictures!

Looking forward to more...

sebes

Great update Derwilly. I guess that is also what Amsterdam would look like after a rainy day if the city was in a different part of the world.... Looking at these pictres I am very glad. Now it looks like that after a cloudburst - but that happens not too often (and if it happens it lasts half an hour and we speak about it for days!)
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

warszawa

This is a very different update compared to your other updates. It's nice to see another side of Jakarta.

You have done a wonderful, yet realistic job on the flooding pictures. Good to see the Emergency boats in action &apls

10/10 for pure Eyecandy work :satisfied:

Alex :thumbsup:
Visit my Warsaw, Poland MD.

art128

exellent update here  :o :o the flood look really real  &apls &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

rooker1

A fantastic update. 
I love the flood idea and the mix of real life pics and ingame pics never siezes to amaze me.
Great work.
Robin  &apls
Call me Robin, please.

derwilly

Boy oh boy, I never thought this summer was going to be this hectic. However, I do my best to feed my hungry readers  :D

Thanks again to those who keep visiting my MD! Let's see if we can push this to the Best Sellers at the end of the month!

eugenelavery: this city is not taking my entire time but a lot of it... which is why at least for the next months I´ll have to slow down the pace of updates  :'(

Simpson: you may like the floods on the highway... but I guarantee that those drivers stuck in the jam don't!  :D

bat: thanks bat, I would have loved to dig deeper on the floods idea, maybe in the future...

sebes: thanks! well it's a good thing you don't get floods like this every year...even though it would be the topic of the month!

panthersimcity4: well if you're speechless then there's nothing to say  :D

warszawa: thanks Alex!

art128: well that's the idea, thanks!

rooker1: thanks robin!

I'll try to bring you guys something tomorrow, even it it's another small bonus update. Meanwhile... keep waiting:

Indonesia: land of smiles, home of chaos, nation of disorder. My favorite place on Earth!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66788325@N00/collections/72157600071762388/

art128

Props & Texture Catalog

Simpson

Yes your pic is very funny  $%Grinno$%
I will be here for the next update  :)
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

paroch

Absolutely stunning work you have shown us here Derwilly.  I can only imagine the time and effort that has gone into this, with what looks like custom lots and bats.  And the smallest details are very impressive...... those bus lanes that we see in the RL pics have been replicated superbly in your city - beautiful work.

The mixture of RL pics, satelite pics and the 3d warehouse pics really bring this alive.

derwilly

BONUS 2 - PASAR BARU!

Welcome yet again to a new update of my MD. This week we will review an interesting part of Jakarta in a small bonus update.

Built as Old Batavia's third commercial center 180 years ago Pasar Baru, or New Market, initially served as an upper-class shopping arcade for the residents of what was then Rijswijk, now Jalan Veteran. Chinese traders moved from the older Glodok area to the new prestigious block next to the Ciliwung river and opened shops selling everything from spectacles to shoes. After some time the market specialized in fabrics and textile products, giving its current reputation as the one of the largest textile markets in Jakarta along with Tanah Abang.

The market has a distinctive Indian flavor, given by the small community of Indian traders and entrepreneurs that settled in Jakarta.

Since the end of World War II and after Pakistan and India split in 1947, many Indian people emigrated to Jakarta to find a new and better life. In 2002, there were around 2,000 Indian families registered as living in Jakarta, with most of them residing in the central part of the city, especially in the Pasar Baru and Pintu Air areas. Most of the ethnic Indians living in Jakarta work as tailors, or run textile, curtain, or sports shops. These entrepreneurs, mostly originating from Sind and Punjab, North India, are locally perceived as being more successful at business than other immigrants.

The Indian traders tend to give their stores in Pasar Baru Hindu or Indian names, such as Bombay or Maharaja. Even though most of the Indians run accessories, textile and sports equipment stores, there are also some traders of Javanese, Chinese, and Arab descent running the same sorts of businesses.

B2.1 Satellite image of the Pasar Baru area

B2.2

click here to see the pic in its original size

B2.3 The Chinese gate is a remnant of the once prosperous Chinese community that lived in Pasar Baru

B2.4

B2.5 A shot of the interior of the street

B2.6

B2.7

B2.8 Another shot showing the length of the market

B2.9 A batik salesman. The batik is the traditional Javanese shirt

B2.10 The street markets extend also to nearby streets

B2.11 At the other end of the street there's the newer Pasar Baru Mall

B2.11 Near Pasar Baru we can also find some condominiums, like these ones by the Juanda train station

As usual, I hope you liked this update. I'll see if next week I can bring you a bigger update. Till then, have a nice weekend!  :thumbsup:

Indonesia: land of smiles, home of chaos, nation of disorder. My favorite place on Earth!

art128

excellent updtate  :thumbsup: i very like the covered street  &apls very good work  ;)
Arthur

Props & Texture Catalog

panthersimcity4

wow that Chinatown is badazz.  ;D I love the arcade covering thing that covers the walkway, great for those oh-so-common downpours!  :P :thumbsup:

Simpson

Oh my friend your new update is very very very beautiful  &apls
My preferate picture is the B2.2, your city is looking very good and also so réalistic

I'm until forward to the next update  :)
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

bat

As always a fantastic update! The pictures are looking very beautiful!
Looking forward to the next wonderful update... ;)

derwilly

Last week of August and last week at the OSITM! time flies! Thanks everyone for following my update and, again, a especial thank you to my hardcore fanbase!  :thumbsup:

paroch: thanks! I think that when recreating a real-life city, comparing the results with actual pictures is a must. Especially with a city like Jakarta, where nobody would believe me unless I show some evidence!

art128: thank you very much Arthur!

panthersimcity4:  hehe thanks! yes those arcades are useful when it starts pouring... but little can they do when everything is flooded afterwards!! oh btw, me encanta tu CJ de San Pedro. I just wish I had more time to review all CJs and MDs more carefully  :'(

Simpson: merci Simpson! I also love the aerial shots. They take quite some time because they are usually mosaics of several cities...

bat: thanks bat! you know what? I think that if I gave you a penny every time you say "wonderful" you'd be a millionaire already!  :D :D :D thanks man!

Next update is almost done. I shall release it tomorrow!

derwilly

UPDATE 6 - KEMAYORAN

Kemayoran is a subdistrict of Central Jakarta. It was once the location of Kemajoran Airport, the principal airport for Jakarta until 1985, when it was replaced by the massive Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in the regency of Cengkareng.

International flights were temporarily moved to Halim Pendanasukuma Air Force Base in 1975, and Kemajoran closed completely in 1985 when the present airport at Cengkareng opened. Kemajoran closed due to crowded airspace and proximity to the city center and also to the Halim Pendanasukuma Airport.

For those who read Tintin when you were younger, Kemajoran Airport is the setting for the beginning of the Tintin adventure, Flight 714. Do young people still read Tintin nowadays?

The runway at Kemajoran Airport was used to form wide boulevards in the area, which was projected to become an area with wide roads, parks, and low-cost housing. Following the tradition, most projects were cancelled and nowadays only a handful of expensive condominiums and a golf course can be found in Kemayoran.

PART I - Aerial pictures

6.1 As usual, we start with the satellite picture:

Click HERE for a bigger picture of Kemayoran and its surroundings

PART II - Screenshots

6.3 contrasts between high rise and low rise

6.6 Megaglodok supermall

6.7 the area is also attracting businesses and headquarters

6.8 The Palazzo, a great example of the contrasts in Jakarta

PART III - Real life pictures

6.9 condominiums along the main boulevard, the former runway

PART IV - Ghost buildings

6.12 what was supposed to be a super luxurious complex in the golf course, stopped after the 1997 crisis

PART V - Jakarta Convention Center and Jakarta TV Tower

6.17 This pond is being drained for the construction of the Jakarta TV Tower, a monster of 558m which construction has been approved, hold and cancelled several times. Nobody knows if the project is still ongoing

6.18 If the tower was built, it would definitely put Jakarta on a world map

PART VI - Random shots

6.19 the Kemajoran country club

6.20 slums, canals and highways on the north end of Kemayoran

6.25 more and more contrasts

That's all for now my friends. Again, I hope you enjoyed this new episode. Next week I'm out on vacation, so no updates  &cry2

But as usual, stay tuned. More's coming!

art128

Props & Texture Catalog

bat

That overview of this city is looking beautiful! Excellent suburb(s)!
Great work on another new update!!!!!!!

Looking forward to the next... ;)