• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

An interesting INI file: "Enable Features"

Started by Ennedi, August 30, 2008, 03:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ennedi

I found an interesting (and intriguing) INI file in the simcity1.dat: Enable Features  &Thk/(

1. What are GUIDs (look at the red arrow on the picture)?
2. Did anybody research and/or use this file?
3. Do you think it could be used to add something new to the game?  ;)

Adam

New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Pat

Adam if I didn't know any better I think you found a new key in the puzzle??? I could be wrong though but it seems very promising to say the most here... also to answer your question about guid [linkie] here is the defintion from WIKI I found....

QuoteGlobally Unique Identifier or GUID (pronounced /ˈguːɪd/ or /ˈgwɪd/) is a special type of identifier used in software applications in order to provide a reference number which is unique in any context (hence, "Globally"), for example, in defining the internal reference for a type of access point in a software application, or for creating unique keys in a database. While each generated GUID is not guaranteed to be unique, the total number of unique keys (2128 or 3.4×1038) is so large that the probability of the same number being generated twice is very small. For example, consider the observable universe, which contains about 5×1022 stars; every star could then have 6.8×1015 universally unique GUIDs.

The term GUID usually refers to Microsoft's implementation of the Universally Unique Identifier (UUID) standard. Many systems use the term GUID, however, including Oracle Database, MySQL, dBase, OpenView Operations, ISIS Papyrus, and Novell eDirectory. The GUID is also the basis of the GUID Partition Table, Intel's replacement for Master Boot Records under EFI.

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Ennedi

Thank you very much Pat!
I know the GUID is an identification number in hexadecimal format. Maybe I should change my question:
- What are "features" which is the description talking about? What will describe them? An exemplar? Or a single property? Or something else? Knowing this we would also know which GUID should be used (however, I don't know what is the GUID for an exemplar file, but I'm sure other people know).
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Pat

Adam I wish I could help further but either way I will be watching this thread for sure to get the defitions

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

sam

Well in a ploppoble lot's building exemplar, there is a property called Query Exemplar GUID and the value is the IID of the UI file used for the query.

Every file in the game has a unique identifier, it is the TGI. Properties of files also have an identifier.

dedgren

Adam, I think Sam probably is headed in the right direction- when the .ini file was written, the concept of calling "Type-Group-Identifier" probably hadn't settled into being referenced as a "TGI" yet.

I'd bet that all existing expansion packs have the same Type and Group, so the GUID refers to the Identifier hex number.  So sad- what were there in the end- one free expansion pack and Rush Hour?  I think EA really missed the boat there.

As to your questions: 1- see above.  2- Not that I know of.  3- I can't see why not.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax