• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

map making

Started by mtg, September 08, 2008, 08:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtg

Is there a tutorial for making greyscale images?

dedgren

I'm not aware of any tutorial dealing generally with grayscales here, mtg.  What sort of image are you trying to create- making the grayscale itself is often just as easy as clicking on the correct menu choice in your graphics program to convert an existing pic or map.  If you are trying to use a grayscale for something specific, it would help to know what that is.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

mtg

I would like to make a map from an image i got of google earth but i'm confused how to make it work for terraformer?? ()what()

mtg

thanx for the fast reply btw

blade2k5

Quote from: mtg on September 08, 2008, 09:14:33 AM
I would like to make a map from an image i got of google earth but i'm confused how to make it work for terraformer?? ()what()

Which area do you want mapped?  I could whip up an accurately scaled map for you in no time.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

mtg

Ok? Rotterdam the netherlands?

cogeo

Just a few notes, making a map is... both easy and hard, some aspects indeed require technical knowledge. Beware of the following:
- The height mod you are using. This contains settings for many parameters, the most important ones being the sea level "height" and the map scale. The latter is by default 3, meaning that a difference of 1 grayscale value in the image file results in difference of 3m in the game.
- This also reveals the limitations of the maps generated by importing grayscale images. As the range for grayscale values is 0..254 (255 is a special value, meaning "no data") the max height range is 0..762m (in steps of 3m). As the sea level is by default at 200m, the max height for mountains is only 762-200 = 562m! So if you want to make higher mountains, you need a higher value for the scale, if you want to maintain real grades. On the other hand, using a higher scale value may result in visible terrain "steps". So consider using the tools, they are using 16-bit data. Also they can import files like GeoTiffs directly.
- What's really hard to make, is water bodies (rivers, lakes) and especially sea. Most probably you will need to use image editing techniques, or edit the map manually, in order to make a realistic seabed. There are sites with bythometric DEM data, but I'm not sure if SC4F uses them. I would encourage mapmaking teams to write tutorials on making water bodies.

Hope this helps

blade2k5

Quote from: mtg on September 08, 2008, 10:29:01 AM
Ok? Rotterdam the netherlands?

Ok, not a problem :thumbsup:  Just give me a few hours and I'll get right on it.  At the moment I'm in the middle of cleaning out our cluttered basement [you know, the womenfolk insist &mmm] and as soon as I'm done with that chore, I'll get right on it and should have it done for you this evening [US time] :thumbsup: or early tomorrow morning [US time] :thumbsup:

dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦

mtg

blade2k5

Is there a chance you could send the overview you have of Rotterdam?  The DEM data I have is basically useless >:(, everything is completely flat and the waterways don't even show up ()sad() ....I'm going to have to do this by hand which will take me a little longer than anticipated. ;)

MandelSoft

Err... there is already a map of Rotterdam on ST [linkie]
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

mtg

as you can see i've been doing some terraforming, it's not finished yet but it looks promising doesn't it? I might even upload it if it's finished!

FrankU

WOW, this looks good, mtg!

I'm a lover of Rotjeknor, so..... I'd like to see the results.

CasperVg

I have moved this to "Map Making Help Requests", as it doesn't really belong in the "Where can I find this" section. Good luck with the map  :)
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube