• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

"floating" Marrast Embankments.

Started by LoneRanger, September 17, 2008, 08:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoneRanger

As I was playing arround with the embankments made by Marrast I noticed they sorta float on the water
at zoom-level 4 and 5.
At the other 3 levels they look great.

Is this a common problem?

BarbyW

It is a known issue and was originally reported by marrast himself. It is a graphic glich that cannot be reliably solved.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

LoneRanger

Thanks for the quick reply BarbyW.  :)
To bad it's not fixable, those a real beauties.

jeronij

This is due to the boxed LODs automatically generated by GMAX for zoom levels 4 and 5  &mmm . The same problem applies to all the same style of lots when touch the water,including mine of course, and unfortunately for all the players ::)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

LoneRanger

Ok but your "shore conforming seawalls" don't appear to have mayor glitches in level 4.

Anyhow, raising the coast sure helps.

Level 3:

level 4:

I haven't tested the diagonals yet.

Again, thanks for your help and info.  :thumbsup:

jeronij

Great if you found a solution  :thumbsup:

You can also try to sunk the water tiles instead raising the shoreline (if you want to keep the original shape)...  ;)

Btw, the Shoreconforming walls are "conforming"  ;D . They are textures which expand over the terrain tile. It is a different techique, which nobody replicated in other sets, as far as I am aware  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

LoneRanger

I tried that, making it as deep and steep as possible, waterflora V2 by Gizmo is a great help to do that, but they still float that way.   ;)
The only way seems to be rising the shores.

Your conforming technique sounds interesting.
Would it be possible to replace your textures with the ones Marrast used?
Another way arround the problem could be an overhanging sidewalk with a small wall so sims don't fall in the water, just a little above water-level.
That way it doesn't touch water, you can't see the original shore and sims can have a walkabout along the river.  :)
Don't get me wrong, your "shore conforming seawalls" are excelent but for harbour/industrial, not for residential to my taste.  ;)

wes.janson

I think Marrast actually used models for his embankments and not texture overlay.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!