• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Nyhaven: Views From Within (Nuclear City - 5/8)

Started by woodb3kmaster, October 02, 2008, 06:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danielcote

emgmod

Quote from: danielcote on May 07, 2010, 07:26:25 PM
Wait what happened to the art deco city hall!? ???
I think this is back in time. Trust me, it's going to make sense in time.

Good start to the story. It's nice seeing what Nyhaven's nightlife is like.

ecoba

Really nice updates the past few days, Zack. The new storyline is very interesting. Also, welcome to the Classics.

Ethan  :)

rooker1

It's my privilege to move your MD to "The Classics" section.
Congrats from myself and The SC4D Staff!
&apls

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Battlecat

Congratulations on your move to classics!

The last few updates look fantastic!  Those are some cool looking buildings!

Nanami

daryl7478

Congrats on 500 comments! Just about the same time as Pirgos!

planetechef

great job again, may i ask where you get this big appartment on the picture just before the map, i try to find but without result  :-[ thanks  :P
& coming soon "Sakura Republic".

woodb3kmaster

Robin (rooker1) (x2): Thank you, Robin! The building with the green nightlighting is N74704's Riddle Me This Nightclub. Also, thanks for moving me to the Classics! It's a real honor.

Jordan (canyonjumper): Thanks, my friend! I'm glad you liked the map and the new poster.

Glowbal: Hey there, friend! It certainly has been a while since I last saw you on the forums, but welcome back! Thank you for your kind words about my night shots.

Daniel (danielcote): Emgmod guessed right - the current story begins in 1970, whereas the new city hall wasn't built until the early 1990s.

emgmod: Good job figuring out the reason for the different city hall - as I told Daniel, we have indeed gone back to 1970 for the start of this storyline. Thanks for the compliments!

Ethan (ecoba): Thank you, Ethan! I'm glad you're enjoying the new storyline, and I'm honored to take my place among the great MDs here in the Classics section!

Battlecat: Thanks for the congratulations and kind words! I'm glad you've enjoyed the latest updates.

976: Thank you!

daryl7478: Thanks! It's a pleasure to move into this section at the same time as another great MD.

planetechef: Thank you and welcome! The reason you haven't been able to find that apartment building is because it's a Maxis building - part of the Euro set.

A while back, I showed you all the resort district of Nyhaven's suburb of Skamokawa, back before I switched to my current set of terrain and water mods. Since then, I've gone back and redesigned that district from the ground up to make room for more resorts. The new version of the district has 10 hotels and a proper beach, besides the commercial area nearby. Here's a mosaic to show you the results:

I might as well also show you what nearby Skamokawa Harbor looks like with the new mods installed:

Enjoy!

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

adroman

Jaw dropping-ly good! Those water and beach mods look excellent there, even better with your hotel district...  :thumbsup:

The good ol' Marina/Hangover piece set up looks great there, very nicely presented. Combined with the boats, they make the scene that much more realistic!

As always, I'll be back... Just a matter of when  $%#Ninj2
Adrian.
737s, Air Force, Australia... what next?

threestooges

It's amazing the difference changing a terrain/water mod can make, though it's easy to overlook when the rest of the city sprawls in front of you. It helps to bring it all together though. The marina docks are a nice touch, though I've never cared for the way they sit so far above the water unless you take special precautions with the terrain beforehand. They still get the image across though. Welcome to the Classics section Zack, Nyhaven has certainly earned it.
-Matt

danielcote

I love the resort Island. It's realistic and has a good selection of hotels, restaurants and stores.

Battlecat

Nice update once again!  I like your work with those seawalls!

Tomas Neto

Welcome to the classics!!!   :thumbsup:
Great update, fantastic city!!!

canyonjumper

Looks amazing! The water mod really makes a difference.

-Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

KoV Liberty

Wow! Some very good updates! And a new lady friend... ;) I especially like the new resort, but maybe a tree or two on the beach wouldn't hurt.

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

planetechef

great upadte, well i feel so stupid, it's so long since i play without the maxis buildings then i almost forget then some of those buildings are also nice  $%Grinno$% anyway great job on this beautifull mosaic  :thumbsup:
& coming soon "Sakura Republic".

Nanami

woodb3kmaster

Adrian (adroman): Thanks a lot, Adrian! Such kind words coming from someone like you is truly high praise. I'm glad you like how the Maxis marina looks in Skamokawa Harbor; I've gotten some negative remarks about it at ST, but if it works well for you, there's no real need to replace it with a custom pier. You're welcome in Nyhaven anytime, my friend!

Matt (threestooges): Thank you, Matt! It certainly is nice to see you visit. I appreciate your kind words and your welcome; I'm certainly happy to have made it all the way to the Classics! Take care, my friend!

Daniel (danielcote): Thanks! I'm glad you like the island.

Battlecat: Thank you! Seawalls really make a harbor look good, don't they?

Tomas Neto: Thanks very much!

Jordan (canyonjumper): It certainly does! Thank you for stopping by!

Alex (KoV Liberty): Thanks, Alex! The last update was only the beginning of Jane's part in the story here in Nyhaven. As for the beach, mine was really influenced by the kind of beaches we have here in Southern California, which are mostly treeless except near the inland edge. A shore pine or two couldn't hurt the scene, though!

planetechef: No worries about the Maxis building, my friend - they're so rare in MDs of today that your not recognizing it is totally understandable. Thanks for your compliments!

Dryan (976): Thank you!

Not long after I rang in the new year with my colleagues, I got a phone call at home from my parents. It turned out that it was time to plan the family reunion we would be hosting in April 1971, and now that I was back in town, they could really use my help.

So the next weekend, I hopped into my car and headed over to the old family home in the Rossmore Lake district. Taking the freeway would have meant an unnecessary detour in the wrong direction, so I just took 20th Street to Avenue H, which got me most of the way there.

Once I had arrived, we got down to business. "Well, Paul," my mother began, "the first thing we need to do is choose as place to hold the reunion. Why don't you take a look at some of the local parks and see which one would be best?"
"I'd be happy to, Mom,"
I replied. And with that, once we had made some other early plans, I was off on a trip around Nyhaven to look at city parks.

The first place I went was Rossmore Park, just west of my parents' house. It had good amenities, but I just didn't think it was the right place for our reunion.

Another candidate was Science Park, in the Melrose district. There was plenty to do there, but I was really looking for something else in a location.

I also looked at Thrillsbury Park, up in Lincoln Hills. Certainly an exciting place, but still not quite right.

Finally, as I was heading back to home base, I stopped by Ridgleand Park. It had the advantage of not being very far from home, but what I really liked about it was the open lawns. It was perfect for the reunion! I wasted no time booking its South Pavilion for the event.

Now that we had a location, it was time to get busy. There were only three months until the reunion, so I was sent over to the local stationery store to buy everything we would need to make invitations.

On the day before the event, after work, I went back to the family home to help cook all the food we would need the next day. Jane volunteered to help, too, and boy, was her help needed! We had received about 80 RSVPs by then, so we needed a lot of food.

Finally, the day came, and we all gathered at the park. The cherry blossoms really made it a beautiful place for a reunion. This was also Jane's introduction to my extended family, who were happy to meet the woman I had told them so much about over the phone.

As the day wore on, it came time for the part of the reunion I loved best, the Franconi family football game. Our family was mostly split between the states of Pacifica (where Nyhaven and Kendall are located) and Willamette (with a lot of people on my great-uncle's side living in Salem, Albany and Corvallis), so we had a Pacifica vs. Willamette game. Happily, the Pacificans won by two touchdowns. It helped having Jane cheering from the sidelines!

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

RickD

Very nice pictures and great story! And I see the NWM has arrived in Nyhaven.  :thumbsup:
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)