• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Mind Scape

Started by rooker1, February 27, 2007, 07:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djvandrake

Very impressive updates.  I really like that lower income apartment neighborhood.  That looks most authentic and is very well done.  &apls

io_bg

Wonderful work, Robin! &apls I particularly like the sea floor detailing. Buut... I think that bridge looks a bit out-of-place there... Suspension bridges usually have longer spans ::)
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Yan077

How I could miss this couple of udates !  :o
The level of details is really impressive, the shorelines, the harbour... all that we can see is incredibly well done !
Thanks for these pictures Robin !

Yann  :thumbsup:

TheTeaCat

Excellent update Robin.

I really like the detailing you've done on the sea floor, very effective ( I see you make good use of the sea level modd to do it) but there is one thing that makes me wonder ::)

Yep been said before and its to do with your bridge. That rather large ship doesn't have much room for error in trying to pass that bridge. Even the Harbour piolt would have to be exceptionally skilled to manage that.
Plus the "water breakers" under the bridge look out of place. 

Other than that another great update and looking forward to more

Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Nardo69

Hi Robin!

You did a superb job on these updates! Love what you did with the Maxis Federal Prison, haven't used it in ages now, maybe I'll copy you give it another try. ;) Great work also with the zero-sealevel.dat, must try out that soon (Urlandish soon though, you know that slow stubborn ol'donkey of mine ...  ::) )

No nagging at your railways, they do carry that special atmosphere, and I love those storage tracks before the tunnels!

However there are two things I have to mention:

First I completely agree with Derry about the large ship, there is not enough space between the dock and the bridge support for such a large ship.

Second: Combining those two Buddybud bridge skins is not such a good idea IMHO as each skin represents a bridge type of its own - the stone bridge that is hold by the arch construction under it and the steel bridge that is hold by the truss above it. Combining them is making the construction 200% - and maybe even instable as the line of force and the libe of moments are completely different for these two bridges.

Take care my friend!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

rooker1

Too busy last night for a pic and I'm just on my way out for the day, but I wanted to just tease you all with this.  No time for replies right now, but I'll do them tonight.

Let's just say the Nuc plant has had some changes as I wasn't happy with how the area turned out either.  And this is what I'll be showing in the next day or so.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

canyonjumper

Awesome stuff here Robin! Great combination of seawalls and MMPs on the shoreline, and I liked Glenni's tunnel, I've been looking for that ;D

Your friend,
                            Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

rooker1

Another quick one sorry, but the weekend has been too busy.

The dangerous part of town.

See you all tomorrow morning.
Call me Robin, please.

rushman5

This picture reminded me of Don Miguel; I instantly recognized one of his houses in the lower right corner.  Loving the pix no matter how random

djvandrake

That industrial area looks impressive, can't wait to see more of it.

threestooges

I agree about the width of the channel under the bridge for ships to pass under. Granted, it's in the harbor, and the big ships would likely be assisted by tug boats, but that's still a very narrow area to work with. I like the breakwater under the bridge. I haven't used those pieces before though, do they plop offset, or how did you get them under the bridge like that? The marina area does look better. It seems like there is an extra tile or two of room there now, and plenty of water (depth and breadth) for the ships to navigate. Well done on that. The rest of the mini updates really show off your flair and skill with making gritty areas of cities. The close up of the dangerous part of town you just showed is one of the better examples of it. However,it just looks low wealth and high density, not necessarily the dangerous part (though it does seem like the two often go hand in hand). It actually looks like a fairly well maintained area in there too (with the flower beds, lack of litter, and seemingly trimmed grass). I wonder how it would look with a few plops of RRP Johnson Grass  or those weed/rush things in there. I think I know what's coming with the power plant area, and I'm looking forward to seeing how you do it if it is what I think it is. Nice work Robin. You're certainly making the most of this month.
-Matt

rooker1

Replies....better late than never. ;)

mightygoose, I looked all over that sire and could not find it.  Thanks for the help and I hope someone knows where it came from.

djvandrake, Thanks fro commenting.  I really enjoy making these kinds of niehborhoods, I think they are more ralistic than the fancy garden ones.

Ioan, (io_bg), It's always nice to hear from you.  And I am trying to work on the bridge, look in an upcoming update to see if I have been able to improve it.

Yan077, Not sure how you missed them, but hopefully you don't miss anymore.  Thanks for the very kind comments.

Derry (TheTeaCat), I'm happy to see that you have noticed the work I have done on the sea floors, it took a lot of time.  As for the bridge, I agree with you all, but I like it so much.  Anyways, I'll be working on it soon enough.

Bernhard (Nardo69), I'm very happy to hear that you have nothing to say about my rail lines or is it that you just see some thing much worse to talk about?  Either way, I'll be working on that bridge.

Jordan (canyonjumper), Thank you.  I like using Glenni's tunnels as well.  I think I have been able to put them to very good use and hopefully in some ways that no one else has thought of.

rushman5, Thanks and Don Miguel is a great modeler.   I think I have all of his stuff in my pluggins.

djvandrake, Thanks again for stopping by.

Matt (threestooges), It's always a pleasure to hear what you have to say and this time is no different. I am working on making the river ways much deeper and in certain places wider, but the ships are computer guided and helped with the tug boats in the tighter areas.  Or at least thats my accuse  ;) and I may have to stick with it.  We'll all have to sit back and see what I can come up with.

"A Regular City by Night"

Leo Aikman once siad, "You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him".

Hope you all enjoy this update and I'll see you tomorrow.

Call me Robin, please.

mightygoose

great use of that ?flower factory? and of mcdrye's carpark lot, i promise that i will look for it myself when i get in from work later....
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

art128

Excellent update Robin, I really liked that factory. &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Nardo69

I like the Maxis Night. It is like a full moon light, dark but not too dark to get lost in blackness and darkness. And I like to see the details as well as car light or street lights. I just wonder - don't you have the BAT update installed? I can see no nightlights in the BATs ?!?

Other than that: great. I love those small Co$ shops, too, in the right areas they really add to the overall atmosphere.

Take care my friend!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

cubby420

Haha, I was thinking the same thing Bernhard...where are the lights??? Even the best of us forget the simplest things once in a while. Looking good Robin. Gritty and well laid out.

marsh

God, your pumping out these pictures faster than I can even notice them...  :P I really love the underwater detailing with that prison and the surrounding ocean. Looks great.  :thumbsup:

,marsh  :satisfied:

Framly

&apls amazing pictures! with a great atmosphere ;)

-klick-1st Anniversary Video-klick-
Part of SFBT and RFR Team

rooker1

mightygoose, thanks again for stopping by and I would really would appreciate it if you could find out where that model came from.

Arthur (art128), thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Bernhard (Nardo69), Good eye my friend.  You see I play the game on my home computer and my work computer and I did forget to load the updates on my work one as I usually play in day mode.  Now I fell like a newbie......DOH.  As for the overall look of the city.....I still have not gone through to prune the stuff that I don't think fits.  All that stuff grew on it's own.  Not bad, eh?  I am pretty pleased with how it's turning out.

cubby420, Have a look at what I explained to Bernhard about the night lights.  "Gritty"....thank you, that is eactly what I always aim for.

marsh, Tahnks for stopping in and maybe you should come by more often as I plan to try and do an update every day.  I very happy with the way the river/ocean bottoms are turning out by using the "zerosealevel.dat".  It really works wonders!

Framly, thanks for the nice commments, I hope to see you in here more often.

So....the other night I tried every bridge possible for the below span and this is what I have come up with.  It either stays like this or I need to demolish the entire area and change the width of that river.  I really liked the other bridge as I wanted the area to look very old and I you get that feel with the original bridge.  Now this bridge looks alright but I am not entirely happy. 
As you can also see I have removed the break wall from both sides of the fish port.
What do you all think now?

This low wealth area is relatively finished.  I may prune a few buildings and there are some very small details that need to be added, but otherwise I am pretty happy.
In this first pic, I will most likely demolish that res building on the left side for a small industrial building.

Here I will definately demolish those two buildings that are the same and hope for something a little more fitting.

Here you can see the row houses.  The north side is exactly how I want but the south side still needs some pruning. 
And at this point I am unsure which row houses I will use for the south side, whether they should be the same or not.

The first person to answer all of these correctly will win a One Year Paid Subscription to SC4D.  I will make the neccesary donation in this person's name.  I also suggest that everyone have a quick look at this page and do whatever they can for our great site.

Good luck to everyone on the above challenge and I hope you have enjoyed this set of pics.

Call me Robin, please.

RippleJet

My English isn't good enough to solve them all, but I'll take my chance on a few of them... :)

1. Lightning fast
2. Half-hearted
3. ?
4. ?
5. Once in a blue moon
6. Back door
7. Crossroads
8. Crossbreed
9. Operation without pain (?)
10. A friend in need
11. For instance
12. Middle aged