• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Berlin Festival of Lights 2008

Started by praiodan, October 23, 2008, 06:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

praiodan

I've been out yesterday evening to catch some pictures of the "Festival of Lights", an event held every year in Berlin for 2 weeks. Several landmarks an other buildings are illuminated in special ways. I took about 80 pictures, yet the cam proved to be pretty crappy, many pictures are just... well... nothing I guess. But I wanted to share some pictures, that show a least a bit  :crazy2:

Let's just start with the Brandenburger Tor. It had a colourful illumination, which changed every few seconds. Just some impressions of what it was like:

Both west side of the gate

East side of the gate. The caption says "be positive. be souvereign. be berlin", which is ne new slogan of Berlin.  ::)

Illuminated trees at Unter den Linden, heading east.

The Gendarmenmarkt

French Cathedrale at Gendarmenmarkt.

German Cathedrale at Gendarmenmarkt.

Konzerthaus am Gendarmenmarkt.

The Fernsehturm at Alexanderplatz was awesome - not only the colours changed, but the spots moved up and down the tower all the time, or it was illuminated by kind of flashing lights.

Other side of Alexanderplatz: The Galleria Kaufhof and the Alexanderplatz Station

Then I did a little stop at the main station:

This has actually nothing to do with the FoL, but nevertheless I thought this reflection looks very cool (inside the station).

Went to Ernst-Reuter-Platz then, where a hotel was illuminated. The colour changed every few seconds: blue-red-green

I then headed towards Kurfürstendamm, but on my way I found the Berlin stock exchange:

And just on the other side of the street, the beautiful Hotel Astoria:

Continued my way to Kurfürstendamm then and my first catch was the Neue Kranzlereck there. It also ahd chaning colours:

Few meters away: the Karstadt at Kurfürstendamm:

There's a bunch of more pics to come on Saturday, I'll catch some more on Friday evening.

Now, who's still thinking that Paris is the City of Lights?  :P

Dark_horse_spirit

Thanks for sharing those pictures. What does this festival celebrate, a good harvest?

DHS

praiodan

Quote from: Dark_horse_spirit on October 23, 2008, 06:19:30 AMWhat does this festival celebrate, a good harvest?

Nope. Actually it's not a real festival, rather in the figurative sense the lights are actually celebrating  :P The true purpose of this is to have something special going on in the city which can be merchandised  $%Grinno$%

Andreas

Well, merchandising or not, it surely looks great. :) I just wonder why Belin needs an English slogan, rather than a simple German "Sei positiv, sei souverän, sei Berlin." - do they really need to change everything into English, just to show that they are a "world city"?  %wrd
Andreas

sebes

Lars thank you so much for showing these excellent pictures. Next time I'll be sure to be there too :thumbsup:

Your pictures are of very high quality as well man

Sei Froh - Sei Frei - Sei Berlin
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

praiodan

@ Andreas
So true. It's in fact gruesome that kind of everything has to be English nowadays in the land of poets and philosphers  &mmm

@ sebes
Good to see you enjoying them. If you should be around next year... tell me  :)

Ok, as promised, some more:

The Dom-Aquaree, which was the official "headquarters" of the FoL:

Turning around, the white illuminated towers of the Nikolaikirche where visible:

This time I even have pics of the Dom for you... though they are only slightly better... but at least there's something to recognize   :D

The world's biggest light clock at Marx-Engels-Forum

Again the Nikolaikirche's towers, at close range this time

Afterwards I made a detour to the Tiergarten..

And went a little more south to the scandinavian embassies. In fact I think, this is one of the best shots I took.

Heading west... the Europacenter

Gedächtniskirche:

After that I had my last aim left: Schloss Charlottenburg. It also had a changeing colour sheme and the center part was illuminated with cool looking handprints.

That was the Berlin Festival of Lights 2008...  :)

Vario80

Now that was really a festival of lights. &apls
Great pictures, i haven't been to Berlin yet but someday i will definately make up a trip up there.
Avatar: Atlantic Hotel Sail City- The new landmark of Bremerhaven

Glenni

I was in berlin in 2006, it was only for three hours, so i only got to walk arround in the central area a bit, saw the trainstation though... what an awesome modern building! ;D

praiodan

Quote from: Glenni on November 01, 2008, 04:17:34 AM
I was in berlin in 2006, it was only for three hours, so i only got to walk arround in the central area a bit, saw the trainstation though... what an awesome modern building! ;D

I remember that chat we had about this, years ago  :D