• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Art with a SimCity feeling

Started by emilin, February 28, 2007, 07:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emilin

I wanted to post some good art with that certain SC4 feeling that is so hard to define, but clearly exists, somewhere in the back of our minds. I want to point out that none of the following pictures and links are SC4 related in any direct sense.

Feel free to join in and post some more artists and pictures (I will probably post some more every once in a while, myself)!

Amy Bennet One of my favourites. She works with 1:87 scale models that she arranges, and then uses as basis for oil paintings. It doesn't get much more SC4 than this:

Johan Thurfjell Thirtysomething Swedish genious working with just about every media available. A lot of forced perspective, and odd scaling:

Olafur Eliasson Danish art magician working on a monumental scale. This the opposite of miniatures, but still a sort of "universe in a box" feeling:

Olivo Barbieri Well, we need a classic too, I guess. These pictures are not photoshopped mind you. It's just a very intelligent use of light and perspective that creates this miniature look:

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

jeronij

Very nice and interesting pictures. I liked the visit  ;D
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

oldrogue

VERY neat....hmm, I know I've seen other artwork that would qualify...will have to look and see what I've got to share....
Sometimes I go into my own little world....but it's ok, they know me there.

Cali

what great detail....thank you for sharing :)
"It's not a design flaw, It's my signature"

oldrogue

I think this would qualify as "art", have you seen the late 1800's posters and drawings of birdseye views of towns and cities?  Seems like in those times every little burg (and some large ones) in the US didn't think they had arrived until they had commisioned an artist to draw a picture of how wonderdful they were. &mmm.

The Library of Congress has a superb collection here'--memory.loc.gov/ammem/pmhtml/panhome.html

The files are incredibly big, they use a special technology to get them compressed and I think the smallest I have seen was about 5mg!   If you wanna see real world city planning in every type of terrain try them.....
Sometimes I go into my own little world....but it's ok, they know me there.

Khiyana

This is interesting, espacially the first three pictures....I also know anart, "pixelart", that will qualify.
Look at this picture I've found at DeviantArt, I love this:

It's a big picture! The artists name is Paul Stride-Noble, he needed two years to finish it!

sebes

Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

shoreman905

I love the idea of this entire thread, great idea  &apls. I hope others contribute, I know I will keep an eye open.

Shadow Assassin

Holy crap, he must've spent ages on that picture! It looks really good.

I wonder if SC2K would end up qualifying as pixel art? :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

flame1396

Holy crap!

That must have took ages. And it looks almsot exactly like sc2k as well.... Did the guy play that or what?
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.