• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Taffic Speed

Started by Bishop Hawke, November 21, 2008, 05:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishop Hawke

Is there a way to set the speed of taffic on the roadways. Also if there is can the speed be set differently on different roads?
My sim are playing kamkazi on the road ways and the hospitals are full. ()what()

writingliberty

Each type of road / avenue / highway / etcetera has a built in speed limit.

What you might be able to do (although I have no idea if this would reduce your hospital usage) is to reduce the number of intersections, which will make traffic flow more smoothly. A standard "grid" style city has a lot more intersections than it really neds (looks at how a lot of new housing developments are built in the Western US - the houses don't even face the main streets, and there's usually two or three access points into a large residential neighborhood, and only the main streets run for more than a few blocks).

z

Accidents on your roads are indicative of congestion, and have essentially nothing to do with speed.  You need to either beef up your traffic infrastructure (e.g., more mass transit), or use a higher capacity traffic simulator.

blakesterville

take the illive reader , or the sc4tool , and check the traffic generator in simcity1.dat , then , look around until you find the speed limits , modify ,save , then exit.

make sure you save a simcity1.dat backup first!!!!

Hope this helps.

z

Quote from: blakesterville on March 22, 2009, 06:23:12 PM
take the illive reader , or the sc4tool , and check the traffic generator in simcity1.dat , then , look around until you find the speed limits , modify ,save , then exit.

This only works if you're using the unmodified Maxis traffic simulator.  (It's also generally not a good idea to modify SimCity_1.dat directly.)  Speed limits are set in conjunction with a large number of other factors in the traffic simulators, and it's generally not a good idea just to modify them by themselves.  See my previous post above for the best way of dealing with accidents.

QuoteWhat you might be able to do (although I have no idea if this would reduce your hospital usage) is to reduce the number of intersections, which will make traffic flow more smoothly.

The effect of intersections is widely misunderstood, and is reported incorrectly in the Prima guide.  Intersections merely reduce the capacity of the roads immediately around them.  If your traffic isn't anywhere near road capacity (which is true for most intersections), then the intersections have no effect on traffic flow.  It's easy to see what's happening at any particular intersection simply by looking at the Traffic Congestion View.