• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

LEX content number/name convention

Started by jigsaw, January 15, 2009, 05:28:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jigsaw

hello all, not a big poster, avid reader and big fan.

is there a catalogue system in place for the various dependencies, textures, even the NAM etc? i dont see one in place, but maybe im missing it.

has the idea ever been put forward to the owners of this place to create a number/naming convention for all downloads?

this could really help with keeping up to date with new any essentials, and assist with keeping up with updates... im thinking like the dewey decimal system at a library, but more SC4/LEX relative..

anyone? %confuso
insert signature here

BarbyW

Not sure what you are asking for here as there is a search function and also a Power Search available with the various creators or types of upload categorised.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

wouanagaine

There is also a 'Download history' on the left menu on the LEX, so you can keep track of what you need to redownload in case of update

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

jigsaw

sorry for the delay... australian time zones.

what i was asking about is a possible/ potential numerical catalogue system for all dependencies, textures etc on the LEX.

eg: 0001:   BSC essentials
     0002:   BSC textures vol 1
     0003:   BSC textures vol 2
and so forth...

- when it is updated, it would become 0001a.. and so forth.
- when it becomes superseded or merged with another file, the list would redirect you to the new number

eg:    0047:    WXYZ park essentials       (deleted. merged with 0062a, now 0085)
        ........    ...................     
        0085:    WXYZ complete essentials ( 0047 and 0062a merged)

-furthermore, when making new plugins, the list of dependencies could simply advertise the catalogue number, and Diggis's dependancy list could be amended to add the numbering system. that each player could catalogue for themselves which dependencies they have by number, not just by title name.

its just a token suggestion, to organise the volume of great stuff in here. anything with vast quantities of anything use stock codes, product codes, model codes. by no means do i mean to offend anyone, it was just a question i was asking, now its a positive suggestion im trying to make.

insert signature here

BarbyW

That would require a virtual rewrite of the LEX software and that is just not going to happen. Generally if a pack is merged into an new MEGA pack the creator will direct you to the new one and lock the old. Your Download History will help with any updated works as well.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

jigsaw

thats a big job... jeez

anyway thanks for listening and answering my questions. cheers and keep up the good work
insert signature here

jigsaw

just for information,
i have written my own catalogue system for all content. its for my own personal use, but enables me to keep and maintain my plugins better than ever, and detect and manage all updates and all dependancies. it looks more like an IP address, but makes life ever so easy, and i dont need to use cleanitol (so far) to remove doubles.

if this game goes another 5yrs without a replacement, it would be food for thought to store them in a stock code/ numerical catalogue system for superior access, updates and archiving.

it looks like this AA.00.000 (type.artist.item). its taken around 20hrs of work to catalogue my entire SC4 stash, but now it is a very efficient system. just throwing it out there for information.
insert signature here