• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4 and Vista

Started by DJGspinNhitz, March 28, 2009, 06:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJGspinNhitz

Well I got a new PC with Vista 32 Basic and load SC4 so I could get back to playing and couldn't get the game to work. Well after all the normal things to try didn't help and  emailing a few people here for help and suggestions here is what I found.
Game froze on start up using SUM with plugins, would load with NAM and no plugins but would freeze on shut down.
Checked Windows XP compatable and start as Admin. change screen resolution to SC4 default nothing worked every time on start up and always froze when returning to desktop.

Here is what fixed it for me.
1. downloaded a program call shellview and terned off all none windows or MS related shell extensions
2. set to XP SP 2 compatable
3. runs as admin.
4. stopped using SUM, seems to be some conflict with SUM and something running with Vista. My PC has almost no progams installed when I went through this. " notes a shell extension that read roxio that had the SUM icon associated with it, mis-reading/conflict? I don't have anything roxio installed!?
^^ I initially loaded only with the screen resolution set to SC4 default but have learned that it is not a problem to have some other resolution set.
Been playing happily ever since with no freezes or major CTD problems. Never have gotten SUM to work with Vista.

MY PC
DELL
Vista Basic 32
Pentium dual core E 7200 2.53
4.0g RAM
ATI HD 3450 256

SC4 Deluxe with ~10gigs of Plugins.

I hope this may help someone I know how fustrated I was trying to get SC4 to work.
GQ
In wilderness I sense the miracle of life, and behind it our scientific accomplishments fade to trivia