• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

What a guest cannot see ... but sometimes a member cannot login ...

Started by Chrisim, April 02, 2009, 12:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisim

Since early March, a guest cannot see all boards and topics of SC4Devotion anymore. Actually he cannot read most of the interesting boards anymore.
I do not know the reasons for restricting the boards to members, but I can tell one reason why I think it's a bad idea.

My company does not permit private usage of my company laptop. During business trips I do often have to use unsafe computers in hotels or internet cafes for private usage. In the past I did often read SC4Devotion as guest, but never logged in because of fear of identity theft. It is quite frustrating that this is not possible anymore.

homefryes

This topic is interesting to me for a completely different reason. I'd like to share some of what I've done, particularly my MD, with people who are not members of the community (because they do not play SC4) -- especially my family. Reason: because I never email or post anything in my LiveJournal!! Why, you ask? Because I spend all my free time playing SC4, of course! If I could share my contributions here with them, at least they'd know that I was alive and well, and they'd see that I'm at least doing something, rather than sitting around doing a whole lot of nothing! Plus I think they'd really get a kick out of it!

Just my §2.

-- Don
Utility Poles Project [linkie]
Ashtabula (the MD) is not dead; it's just on a really long hiatus!
Check out Homefryes' BATatorium

RippleJet

The decision to allow only members to view certain development threads was taken after quite some discussion.
We've had requests from different developers to keep their work available only to members of the site.

Thus, a collective decision was taken to move all development and team boards out of the public view.
This doesn't mean changes can still be made though, either way...
If your team would want your boards to be visible to guests, I'd ask your Team Liaison to send a PM to an admin.

Quote from: homefryes on April 02, 2009, 12:28:18 PM
I'd like to share some of what I've done, particularly my MD, with people who are not members of the community (because they do not play SC4) -- especially my family.

The MD section, as well as e.g. the 3RR, the GRV II and the picture competition are still available to guests.

Quote from: Chrisim on April 02, 2009, 12:16:33 PM
During business trips I do often have to use unsafe computers in hotels or internet cafes for private usage. In the past I did often read SC4Devotion as guest, but never logged in because of fear of identity theft. It is quite frustrating that this is not possible anymore.

I always use my own login wherever I travel in the world. And I often log in from Internet cafes, etc.
As long as you won't leave yourself logged in forever (log out when you're finished),
and won't let the public computer "remember your password", it is perfectly safe.

SC4Devotion is a rather small site, and the risk that any stranger in the world
would indeed be interested in your login details to this site is minimal.

Also, be sure not to use the same login/password to this site as to other, more important sites.

homefryes

Quote from: RippleJet on April 02, 2009, 01:01:25 PMThe MD section, as well as e.g. the 3RR, the GRV II and the picture competition are still available to guests.

Ahhh, that's good to know. Thanks!

-- Don
Utility Poles Project [linkie]
Ashtabula (the MD) is not dead; it's just on a really long hiatus!
Check out Homefryes' BATatorium

Chrisim

Thank you for the background info - and I don't wish to question your decision.
However, when you observe a keylogger being active on a public computer - and I do sometimes have to travel in parts of this world where this is normality - you won't login anywhere, regardless of your argument
Quote from: RippleJet on April 02, 2009, 01:01:25 PM
SC4Devotion is a rather small site, and the risk that any stranger in the world
would indeed be interested in your login details to this site is minimal.