• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Request ElHoS / ElHoA

Started by nas-t, June 27, 2009, 05:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nas-t

please delete or move this thread if it's wrong here.
got a question: is there an ElHoS (El Highway over Street) / ElHoA (El Highway over Avenue) existing or planed? if not, won't it be nice?

i mean sum like that:

http://megamixconc.com/Klang%20Elv.%20Highway.jpg

We're usually pretty flexible on image sizes, but 2560 × 1920 is a bit much.  I've changed the image to a link. -Alex (Tarkus), Admin

[edit]

sorry wasn't looking at the size ;)

joelyboy911

I think, from what I have gathered from posts pertaining to FLUPs that this isn't possible, because the game can't do parallel paths for the same vehicle on different heights. That is why parallel road under road FLUP puzzle piece is impossible, but parallel rail under road is. Perhaps its different for el-highway, I can't say for 100% certain.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

nas-t

a okay... was just an idea.

but what about avenue puzzles (like el-avenues) with a higher capacity, looking like an highway over an avenue, that should be possible, or am i wrong?

nas-t

i mean woundn't it look great?

(don't panic, im just good in photoshop  :D )

joelyboy911

Having said that, there have been double-decker highways worked on, so maybe such a thing is possible? New supports would have to be made overhanging the tile somewhat in order to not block the lane below
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

woodb3kmaster

Quote from: nas-t on June 27, 2009, 07:18:53 PM
a okay... was just an idea.

but what about avenue puzzles (like el-avenues) with a higher capacity, looking like an highway over an avenue, that should be possible, or am i wrong?
Any attempt to create a double-decker network where both decks have car paths would suffer from the same bug that joelyboy911 mentioned in the first reply - you'd have cars/buses/whatever randomly switching between the upper and lower decks. So, in short, Elevated Avenue over Avenue isn't possible.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

joelyboy911

But could el-highway over avenue be done since the paths are not aligned in the same way?

0    0    0   |   0    0    0   
|---------------------------|
       0     0    ||    0    0

Hope this illustrates the idea.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Korot

Game would read paths as being on same level, meaning that it thinks that there are 5 lanes whom it can switch in between, just like other systems of transport. It would only be possible if the avenue goes in the opposite direction.

Regards,
Korot

Blue Lightning

There is one way to circumvent the jump bug, and that would be the way I used for the DD-RHW/AVE. I actually have thought about this but haven't gotten around to it. But it invlolves reversing one of the two networks (in my case I flipped the RHW so that it seems like its LHD)
Like so:

>>>>>
<<<<<

BOTTOM
<<<<<
>>>>>

Vince
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Korot

Quote from: Blue Lightning on June 28, 2009, 05:59:18 AM
There is one way to circumvent the jump bug, and that would be the way I used for the DD-RHW/AVE. I actually have thought about this but haven't gotten around to it. But it invlolves reversing one of the two networks (in my case I flipped the RHW so that it seems like its LHD)
Like so:

>>>>>
<<<<<

BOTTOM
<<<<<
>>>>>

Vince

Which is exactly what I said, although I personally advise in favour of letting the Avenue look like it is LHD, however, both are a possible solution.

BTW, what exactly would be the use of this system? If you need a highway to pass a CBD (only place busy enough to need that capacity on such a small space), dig it underground and use an above ground Avenue through this district, connecting it up with the highway on both ends.

Regards,
Korot

nas-t

Quote from: Blue Lightning on June 28, 2009, 05:59:18 AM

i was never thinking bout making it that complex.  :D
i was thinking about avenue puzzles with 100-300% more capacity with just an eyecandy rhw on top  :D
but ya'll such perfectionists  &apls

Quote from: Korot on June 28, 2009, 01:00:33 PM
BTW, what exactly would be the use of this system? If you need a highway to pass a CBD (only place busy enough to need that capacity on such a small space), dig it underground and use an above ground Avenue through this district, connecting it up with the highway on both ends.

nope it isn't the only place ;)
its for a proposed inner-city-highway-circle of my new city, like moscow or berlin got.
it is planed to go thru some fully build parts of the city. i was thinking bout how to build it varied and make it look realistic.
sum building will be destroyed to make space, sum parts will be underpasses, but i missed the option to build sum parts over avenues.
i thought i would look more realistic and would be more flexible for exits than tunnels in some cases  &mmm

Korot

Quote from: nas-t on June 28, 2009, 02:47:13 PM
i was never thinking bout making it that complex.  :D
i was thinking about avenue puzzles with 100-300% more capacity with just an eyecandy rhw on top  :D
but ya'll such perfectionists  &apls

But if we would do that, we would see no cars on the RHW and an overcrowded avenue, and since the highway is supposed to be the busy part, we want most/all of the traffic to be on the RHW. I do agree with you however on the part that tunnels would be unrealistic and, more importantly, impractical as a city ring. I wouldn't know of a proper way to build such a thing in SC4 though without a slight redesign of the roads surrounding it.

Regards,
Korot

ebina

Just a proof of concept, please ignore that highway is floating. It's possible to have highway over avenue without mixing up traffic on different heights.

Elevated highway was built using an irregular method. My method gives some limitations on this functional highway over avenue. It might be hard to distinguish from these pictures, but route query showed no one "jumped" to avenue or RCI zones from highway, and vice versa.

Queried one of avenue intersection in this picture.

And a highway piece.

Different place. Queried an avenue piece.

Third picture from different angle, queried a highway piece.

Korot

I do see traffic from the highway jumping down towards the avenue to get off, although that could be my eyes betraying me. Another issue I see here is that, since the highway and avenue are going in opposite directions, either the on-/of ramps need to be redesigned (more puzzle pieces), or the transition piece from Highway over Avenue to normal Highway and Avenue is going to look complicated, as the cars need to cross each other, which is not recommended to be at-grade.

Regards,
Korot

ebina

Quote from: Korot on June 29, 2009, 04:19:10 AM
I do see traffic from the highway jumping down towards the avenue to get off...
Actually, no. It came from a lot. (I think you were referring to the one that came from the second lot from upper left.)

Another issue I see here is that, since the highway and avenue are going in opposite directions, either the on-/of ramps need to be redesigned (more puzzle pieces), or the transition piece from Highway over Avenue to normal Highway and Avenue is going to look complicated, as the cars need to cross each other, which is not recommended to be at-grade.
Both highway and avenue are LHD. Why DrawPaths shows unusual arrows on highway is, because this "pseudo highway" is...

For the same reason building ramps for "pseudo highway" is impossible. It's one of the limitations.

nas-t

Quote from: Korot on June 29, 2009, 04:02:28 AM
But if we would do that, we would see no cars on the RHW and an overcrowded avenue, and since the highway is supposed to be the busy part, we want most/all of the traffic to be on the RHW.

yeah, ur right. i forgot that. so it wouldn't look realistic any more....  &mmm
and yeah your right, the cars need to cross each other, that will look stupid. most of all the transition piece from Highway over Avenue to normal Highway and Avenue.