• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Help with the ghetto :(

Started by Rubicon83, August 08, 2009, 08:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rubicon83

Hello to all of you ^^

I don't know if i'm missing a prop pack or something, but i need some help.
I've downloaded some custom-made ghetto lots, but all i'm getting are the foundations. The buildings themselves are nowhere in sight.
What gives? :(

Maybe i'm not supposed to post here about stuff on the STEX, (don't know if LEX and STEX are rivlas or something, lol ^^) but i am kinda desperate (again!^^), seeing as these are awesomely made and i want them in my city :)

Does anybody know anything about this?

The lots i'm talking about are "The Ghetto", "Public Housing Project", "Ghetto Housing Project" and "Robert Taylor Homes".
I'm not seeing any buildings in either of them, even though they are all made by different designers.

Feels as if that would imply a prop pack problem.

io_bg

Do the lots have dependencies and have you download them?
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Rubicon83

Quote from: io_bg on August 08, 2009, 09:32:41 AM
Do the lots have dependencies and have you download them?

I know what you mean .. but no such luck. in the description they do not state any dependencies whatsoever

One says in the description: "ZONE R$ BEFORE PLACING FROM LANDMARK MENU"
At first i thought "okay, let's try that" .. even though i do not know how to ZONE low-wealth :S only low-DENSITY.. but anyway.. i tried to zone R before placing. That didn't work.
Then i thought "hmm, maybe its a "growable plop"" .. if there even is such a thing... and so i waited...
but buildings never showed, even though the stats tell me there are already people living there :S

Rubicon83

I've been stuck at a population limit now for some time. I can't seem to get my population over 80.000.
And I've got my eye set on that beautiful nuclear power plant ^^ .. which i sorely need now.. oil and natural gas are all over the place,and they are U G L Y.. .. but i cant get it before the population is something over 85.000, and mine is curently hovering around 76-77.000 .. it's been like that for i don't know how long now..

And I don't know why :S ..
RCI demand is of the charts! Taxes are normal.
At the sites where i want the buildings to start developing i have bus-stops, el-train stops.. all good grades are high, and bad grades are low...
I've checked, to my knowledge, everything!..

So why am I not seeing any zone development?
My advisors tell me to zone more, and so i do... but that just leaves me with a lot of blue, yellow and green patchwork on the ground :S

What am I missing?
What could i possibly have overlooked?

--
oh, and another thing..

How do you move a lot of low-wealth residents into a specific area? I want to create a high-rise tenement ghetto block which looks completely run down.
Got any tips?
At first i tried to download custom-made ploppable ghetto-blocks from the STEX, but they were graphically faulty because the buildings in the lots never showed up.

Link to that particular scream-for-help post:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=8522.0

So i started to zone..
Everytime i try to zone R-$ by lowering the value of the surrounding area (is that even the way to do it?), I always either end up with no zone-development (in part probably due to the problem mentioned at the top) or i get partial development, but with R-$$ or even R-$$$! :S
Alright, I admit my taxes for R-$ have been pretty steep in the past because i recently focused on trying to develop the opposite; a certain area on the other side of my city which I wanted to be a R-$$$ neighborhood, but i'm worried that if i lower overall R-$ taxes too much, my beautiful R-$$$ areas will deteriorate and become R-$ slums as well.

Are low-wealth residents more willing to live in a bad neighborhood with bad connections and low school-grades etc... is that how it works? ... or will NO ONE want to live there, wealthy as well as poor?
How do i manage the areas where I want my R-$ citizens to live .. should i plop a prison there or something?

Any advice is appreciated :)

carkid1998

If you want the nuclear power plant hit Ctrl-x and type You don't deserve it, in the box! All rewards, and the power plant, will be available!

Sendona... Coming soon!

sithlrd98

All of those lots you posted about require bldgprop_vol1.dat , of course a few of these are poorly modded as they use a blank RCI lot , which can lead to the "growing empty lots" issue. I understand by reading this that you are looking for realism instead of eye candy , so I would suggest some of Goofyguytpas stuff as well as Tag-ones Ghetto Pack stuff. I am sure there are others , I just remember those off the top of my head.As far as population , do you have neighbor connections? A seaport or strong industrial workforce? Those may help boost a stagnant population.

Jayson

BarbyW

All those lots need bldgprop_vol1 - obtainable from http://www.sc4devotion.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=41&Itemid=
Read the EULA and accept it at the bottom of the page then navigate to the Lot Editor page where you will also find thefile you need.
These are very old lots that will not work as residential ploppables will abandon. They are all very badly modded and really should not be used.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Rubicon83

Quote from: BarbyW on August 09, 2009, 10:28:54 AM
All those lots need bldgprop_vol1 - obtainable from http://www.sc4devotion.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=41&Itemid=
Read the EULA and accept it at the bottom of the page then navigate to the Lot Editor page where you will also find thefile you need.
These are very old lots that will not work as residential ploppables will abandon. They are all very badly modded and really should not be used.

Ah thank you very much :)
I see.. but ARE there Residential ploppables that actually work then? i would like to get my hands on ghetto stuff that is functional.. and if i know i want a certain area to be a R-$  block, i don't want to waste any time trying to adjust the conditions in the area to make the right buildings grow.

Rubicon83

Quote from: sithlrd98 on August 09, 2009, 07:40:01 AM
All of those lots you posted about require bldgprop_vol1.dat , of course a few of these are poorly modded as they use a blank RCI lot , which can lead to the "growing empty lots" issue. I understand by reading this that you are looking for realism instead of eye candy , so I would suggest some of Goofyguytpas stuff as well as Tag-ones Ghetto Pack stuff. I am sure there are others , I just remember those off the top of my head.As far as population , do you have neighbor connections? A seaport or strong industrial workforce? Those may help boost a stagnant population.

Jayson

Oh thank you very much :) I just download awesome ghetto W2W buildings from that guy goofyguytpa right before i left for work, but im gonna try them out as soon as i get home ^^

Yes i have neighbor connections, and the seaports are situated very close to the industrial zones. Industrial workforce? .. you mean if i have low-wealth residentials that are only qualified to work in factories? ... hmm.. my tax for dirty industry is very high... if that has anything to do with it..

Diggis

Quote from: Rubicon83 on August 10, 2009, 04:22:43 AM

I see.. but ARE there Residential ploppables that actually work then? i would like to get my hands on ghetto stuff that is functional.. and if i know i want a certain area to be a R-$  block, i don't want to waste any time trying to adjust the conditions in the area to make the right buildings grow.

No, there isn't.  Resi Plops won't work because the simulator is unable to find a road connection on a plop.  This means the sims living there won't be able to find jobs because they won't leave the building and the building will eventually abandon.

tag_one

Quote from: Rubicon83 on August 10, 2009, 04:22:43 AM

Marcszar uploaded some large R$ ghetto lots. Some of them will only grow on large lotsizes (say 6x10 or so) so you can control what grows where. You can find his work on the LEX

SC4BOY

The only "successful" ploppable R's were actually kind of "smoke and mirrors" but gave an interesting, though perhaps not really that useful, effect. They designed a LOT/BAT that acted as a "shell" and actually were overhanging an area that you zoned for R and the building plopped over it so the area was hidden. The R developed "inside" the overhang and so would appear to be a real growing lot.. of course it wasn't .. hehe  I've not seen anything like that in a while, but they probably are still around.

sithlrd98

I am wondering if this thread should be merged with this one?
Mainly since they parallel each other?

Jayson

BarbyW

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Rubicon83

Quote from: SC4BOY on August 10, 2009, 08:47:18 AM
The only "successful" ploppable R's were actually kind of "smoke and mirrors" but gave an interesting, though perhaps not really that useful, effect. They designed a LOT/BAT that acted as a "shell" and actually were overhanging an area that you zoned for R and the building plopped over it so the area was hidden. The R developed "inside" the overhang and so would appear to be a real growing lot.. of course it wasn't .. hehe  I've not seen anything like that in a while, but they probably are still around.

Yes that's very fascinating... and something I am excperiencing in my city right now  :o .. only.. the zone that i plopped that "shell" over is not R, it was industrial :S .. .. I made sure to doublecheck this by plopping another copy of that very same ghetto-lot over blank ground in another area of my town and then I set the speed to fastest .. it got abandoned very quickly .. but that first ghetto-lot i plopped over the industrial buildings was NOT getting abandoned, which I had expected by now from that kind of "shell"-lot.. .. but no ..  those residents just didn't want to move out .. ^^ ... maybe they were getting tired of moving around, eh?  ;) .. anyway.. does this mean it is possible to plop such a residential "shell" over practically ANY type of zone and have it as functional R , as long as the zone has started to grow or is finished developing?