• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Building a New England/NE USA town - AlRed's way

Started by AlRed, November 18, 2009, 06:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlRed

OK, because people have made tutorials on how to build an airport, diagonal elevated RHW-4s over roads or even how to go regional, how about one about making the perfect Northeastern US town? I don't know! But, presenting a first here on SC4D, NE US town building tutorial!

Part 1 - The Basics

So what does it take to build a New England town? I don't know, since I haven't been to that part of America yet.  ;)

The first step would be to collect some pics and maps  :D  This is where Google Earth, Google Street View and Google are your friends. You should also read many articles about Northeast US towns on Wikipedia and/or normal Encyclopedia. For this tutorial we're going to take inspiration from a typical New England town: Riverhead.

It's located on Long Island, east of New York City and is a cute, little village with curvy rural roads. How about a G.S.V. of it first?

And one more:

And let's see the city on Google Map:

You'll get an aplause if you see a major road (the yellow ones) that is straight for their entire lenght here  &apls

Commercial buildings are located near the LIRR station. Shops are also found along major roads, particually at junctions.

Coming next time - Where the rural areas are located and what buildings should you use.

Luke09

can you post ingame pics of your tutorial?its more easily to know what youre saying...
Tu és
Time de tradição,raça,amor e paixão,
Ó meu mengo...
Eu,sempre te amarei,
Onde estiver estarei
Ó meu mengo

TigerofRobare

I don't mean to nitpick, but Long Island is neither in New England, nor is it typical for the Northeast--for one it's far too flat.  ;D

In my opinion the typical town has a railroad and a lot of abandonded industry working on being gentrified. 

Lowkee33

Quote from: TigerofRobare on February 05, 2011, 01:31:19 PMIn my opinion the typical town has a railroad and a lot of abandonded industry working on being gentrified.
;D.  Water powered mills lost to coal are a must.

Don't forget the sporadic cutesy tourist traps... err the wonderful foliage and clam chowder.