• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Pense; Quite Some Time Has Passed

Started by WannGLondon, January 16, 2012, 08:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nas-t

art128

Not a fan of the airport to be honest, could have some more work on it like for the taxiways, as well as the runways. But still nice work with the city. The areas around the different stations are looking great.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

WannGLondon

Quote from: cmdp123789 on July 08, 2012, 04:43:52 PM
You know, I really like the update... and Im happy to see you around again. I see that this update has a more turistical, yet inner city pics... Now, I was amazed by the amount of progress made on Pense... congratulations!!

BUT! there is something that really caught my eye... and I hope you take it as constructive criticism... how come there is no highway parallel to the river in the downtown area?? I mean, there are a lot of bridges... but what if people travel "around" the north side? there is no highway or avenue... I know this is no London recreation, but since you are basing Pense on it... well I thought you would make something fairly similar along the river bend :-[

Oh well... that just me on criticism... I really enjoy our conversations... and commenting on your MD... by the way... CONGRATS ON OSITM!!! :thumbsup:
Hey Criss, thanks for commenting. Well, a lot of European cities do not have highways connecting into the central area, probably due to the old, historic buildings being in the core of these cities, making it hard for highway construction to go on and I wanted to emanate that in Pense. And thanks for my congrats.. haha.

Quote from: RickD on July 09, 2012, 02:06:48 AM
Great stations. And the rail viaducts in between the rowhouses look cool.
Thank you, sir.

Quote from: wallasey on July 09, 2012, 03:22:56 AM
Great views, loving the squares and stations.

I like the rail viaducts surrounding the old gasometer, reminds me of Armley in Leeds.

Well deserved OSITM
Glad to hear it, thank you.

Quote from: noahclem on July 09, 2012, 09:11:57 AM
Nice update  &apls

Airport, tracks, stations, and map look really nice.

Is taking the motorway really "free" though? An investigation into the costs of owning and fueling a car (not to mention insuring and maintaining) in London might be in order--not to mention a congestion zone fee if Pense replicates the real-world city  ;D
Hahaha yeah, yeah. I suppose.

Quote from: vortext on July 16, 2012, 02:36:40 PM
Great update. I really like how you're creating distinct neighbourhoods, as well as how the central area is taking shape. Could use more high rise though  ;)

And why would the transportation map not count as a region view?! Of course it does!  :thumbsup:
Yes, more highrises to come. And thank you.

Quote from: kelis on July 17, 2012, 03:53:00 AM
I really love this update my friend !! I like so much those train stations and the airport and how they are connected.
Great job once again my friend !!

&apls &apls
Thanks Jonathan.

Quote from: nas-t on July 17, 2012, 04:01:48 AM
great update!  &apls
Thank you!

Quote from: art128 on July 17, 2012, 09:59:40 AM
Not a fan of the airport to be honest, could have some more work on it like for the taxiways, as well as the runways. But still nice work with the city. The areas around the different stations are looking great.
Yeah, I understand. I have never really been great at creating airports. Never really put enough time into making really great ones, but they look good from afar I guess haha. Thanks for your comment though.

Another update.

In this update, I will be highlighting the areas where many tourists stay when vacationing here.

Starting off just north of the river, southeast of the financial district, is what is commonly known as the "Hotel District". This area has many moderately priced hotels and has great access to all of the eastern central area's delights. Some of these hotels can be on the expensive side due to the proximity of the river and wonderful restaurants. (Please excuse the parasailer -____-)

On the south side of the river is the Lemgate Crown Hotel. This building has stood in Pense for a very long time and has served as a hotel for over one hundred years. It can be quite pricey, but has wonderful views of downtown and the river from its many suites.

Near to the financial district is Teyford Square. This square has many hotels around it, but these hotels are commonly used by business travellers. Many of the hotels are near to beautiful landmarks like the Central Pense Guildhall (the reddish-roofed building).

Just east of Teyford Square is Downing Square and its expensive hotels. The hotels surrounding the square are some of the best in the city. With beautiful Downing Square just outside many of the hotel's doorsteps, these hotels make for a great honeymooners place to stay. One can visit the beautiful terraces on the north side of the square or take a peek inside St. Wolburn Church on the west side of the square.

Moving closer to the western central area, we have Porter Circus. This circus is the intersection of May Corridor and Porter Street. The hotels surrounding this intersection are very expensive. Shopping and fashion is abound on May Corridor (the six lane avenue) along with fancy restaurants and beautiful tourist attractions.

Moving west along the May Corridor we find grand St. May Cathedral, the tallest and largest cathedral in central Pense. Hotels surround its grounds and go for shockingly moderate prices. It is my personal recomendation that any first-time travellers to Pense stay somewhere around here. You are practically in the middle of the central area and subway and bus stations are easily accessible.

North of St. May and its famous corridor is the area of St. George and Westhill, abutting Canton. Some of these row homes double as B&Bs or have been converted into hotels. Rooms are a little cheaper here, even though the wealthy may have once lived in the home. Beautiful surrounding area and very close to St. George Hill Park.

East of Westhill is Canton. These Canton hotels surrounding Canton Square are certainly unique. Walls inside the hotels may be covered with abstract art from local artists and this area is great to stay in if you really want to get that cosmopolitan feel. You can find anything and everything in Canton, which make the hotels in the area high in demand. My only warning is watch out for 'weirdos' on the sidewalks, they can be a little intimidating.

Lastly, if the central area isn't your cup of tea, you may always stay in a B&B or Inn outside of the city, like some of these on a Pense high street. Bus stops and subway stations are always nearby.

Thanks for stopping by. Region view coming soon.
*Please leave comments or criticism below.
Call me Warren.

cmdp123789

Nice update... I liked it... Now tell me Warren, why do you use the Maxis plazas? It would look 10 times better if you instead plopped the ped malls... you know... next to the berliner dom? I think thats the name isnt it? hahaha not good with names $%Grinno$% aaaaaaaaanyways... nice update... as always... I will be starting my own MD soon... just getting everything ready... hope to see you around at it!

vortext

Looking mighty fine once again  ()stsfd()

If I may make another suggestion (besides using better fillers ;)) it would be to start using a replacement mod for maxis trees or at least get rid of the palm trees.

Where did you find the Central Pense Guildhal btw? It is a really nice building, would like to have it in my city as well.

Keep up the good work.  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

kelis

I love those images my friend ! They represent very good a huge european city, I like those parks and those residentials areas, great job as always !

&apls &apls
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

wallasey

Great update there, and with Vortex' advice, the next will be even better.

I see you have subways, will we be seeing a network overview at some point? Would be interesting to see how you have planned your city's mass transit system.

WannGLondon

Hey all, sorry it has been a while since the last update, but that is mainly because I am experiancing an odd problem. When I go to open up Central Pense, the game crashes. All other cities in the Pense region load up and work fine, all but Central Pense. Anyone know any way they could help me? I've had problems like this before when I had mulitple terrain mods in my plugins folder, but I haven't found any issue like that in this case. Help please.
Call me Warren.

vortext

Most likely there's somekind of conflict going on. Did you make any changes to the plugins folder recently? Or it could be related to transit issues, any changes made on that front perhaps? Either way, we need some more information in order to help.
time flies like a bird

RickD

I am sorry to hear about the problems. Have you made any progress yet?
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

wallasey

I had that issue a few times...although I normally took the drastic route and started that tile over again having fiddled about in Terraformer...generally the re-build didn't crash.

Not an ideal thing to do I know!

WannGLondon

Now, I realize it has been a very long time since I have posted on here, but I just wanted to let you all know that I did get my Central Pense dilemma fixed. I just simply restored it from a backup (thank you Windows 7 :thumbsup:). I have been working diligently on Pense and have completed the densest part of the central area. I really would like to get all areas surrounding the central area finished because I am very excited to plan out the suburbs. Anyway, everything is moving on in Pense swimmingly. It is quite amazing how realistic my city is turning out to be. People are commuting from long ways away just like London, and commercial areas in the central area are not abandoning like I thought they might because so many people are willing to commute anywhere for a job. Another cool thing is Hywater Circus (like London's Piccadilly) has the highest concentration of pedestrian traffic in the whole city, which another awesome realistic factor. Anyway, I'm blathering on, please enjoy the region view.

Call me Warren.

vortext

Great to hear Pense is doing well, I was beginning to think you might have given up but far from it by the looks of it! Is also sounds like you've done a good job in the transportation department. Looking forward to a full-fledged update!
time flies like a bird

art128

Indeed I enjoyed this region view! Waow, just stunning!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

RickD

Yay, great!  :thumbsup: I was worried you had given up.  ()sad()
My name is Raphael.

nas-t

great regionview!  &apls
looking forward to see some closeups soon

cmdp123789

Brilliant! well done buddy... I was really worried you were quitting it... glad you're back  &apls

noahclem

A beautiful region view as always  &apls  Glad you're back  :thumbsup:

WannGLondon

Thanks for the comments guys, glad you are all happy I did not give up.  :)

Another update.

In this update I will just be showcasing some of my favorite shots that I have taken recently.

This is the North End, with the exclusive neighborhoods of Westhill and St. George, with glorious St. George Park sandwiched between them. The commercial districts in this shot include Canton and Fairing.

Moving to the East End we see a vista of the prominent financial district and St. May in the left of the image. I love this shot.

And here is the West End. This shot includes the areas of Hywater, Bardwell, Croix Garden and 'The Forum', (which is the area where all the parliamentary buildings are by the river).

Here is a shot of gorgeous downtown, by night.

This shot is to emphasize how busy Hywater Circus really is, being at the conjunction of two major subway lines.

And here is Hywater and its environs by night. Bardwell and Hywater have many nightclubs and dance halls.

This shot I like very much because of all the busses.  :P

This shot was actually taken in Eastern Pense, I really enjoyed watching the train take its journey into the central area. I am truly impressed how realistic Pense is turning out to be, with residents commuting from far, far away by train, subway, bus and car. Either I just became really lucky, or planned my transportation networks out well.

And lastly, here is a current region view.

Call me Warren.

RickD

Excellent pictures.  &apls I am impressed how you integrated the diagonals into downtown.
My name is Raphael.