• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SG Canal set

Started by FromTheAshes, April 28, 2007, 02:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FromTheAshes

Hi all! I'm planing to create some new pieces for the good old SG canal set. First of all I want to find some new textures... What do you think about these? You got any textures I could try? Please post them.
Here's my first idea:
Visit Vorsfelde.

Glenni

maybe a bit big waves for canals :P That looks lie seawater but otherwise, i like it! :thumbsup:

FromTheAshes

Ur right, I really need some good water textures  $%Grinno$%
Visit Vorsfelde.

Gaston

FromTheAshes,
     Personally if you are...
Quoteplaning to create some new pieces for the good old SG canal set.
I would leave the water texture alone.    There are alot of canal sets out there now and each has its own water texture.    There is almost no way to transition from one canal set to another.   It sorta frustrates me because I would love to use several types within one city but it is VERY difficult to do so.      If you were to continue to use SG's water texture then your canals (which I really like the walls) could easily be connect to SG's.    This way one could use your canals in the residential sections of the city then switch to the canals from ToutSimcity [ linkie ] in the "less developed areas", then to SG's original canals in the semi-industrial areas.     This would be a great benefit to people (like me  ;D ) that LOVE to use a lot of canals in their cities.     Also it would be very easy to continue to use the BSC parks that have been created to use with SG's canals.    This of course is just MHO.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

Shadow Assassin

If I remember correctly, SG actually released a model for his canals. Maybe you can hunt it down on either the STEX or the BSCLEX, and work from there?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

vester

Yes SG did release a model for a straight piece.

Gaston: Check out Citynut's padded room.

FromTheAshes

Thanks for comments.
Gasten, I'll test it with the SG texture... Shadow, vester, this IS the piece SG uploadet  :D
Visit Vorsfelde.

Gaston

Vester said:
QuoteGaston: Check out Citynut's padded room.

I had been there a few times already and posted this:    ;D
QuoteCitynut,
    I really like how your water texture is somewhere in between SG's and PEG's.     I think it helps with the transitions alot.     I think transitioning between your's and some of the darker water canals (PEG's canals and Jeronij's new ones) will be a bit more difficult to achieve the "seamlessness you have gotten so far.    There is a set of canals on ToutSimcity[ Linkie ] that have some interesting prospects.     Basically SG's without the walls.    If you could make some transitions for those, you would be a minor deity of canals (at least).     

I am really into canals.   LOL    And I have the same suggestion for everyone making them.   Transitions from their canals to everyone elses.  LOL    If I had the talent to do it, I would make it my personal project.    Unfortunately this is beyond the scope of my abilities.    &mmm     

---Gaston
白龍

WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

TheTeaCat

I agree with not changing or adding any more textures for canals. But the walls wow nice job there :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

CabraBuitre

I agree to keep SG's water, but I use his canal system SO much, it would be great to have even more pieces to work with!

Check out Abelfarei!

FromTheAshes

As I said, I will continue with SGs texture (which comes from PEG, am I wrong?).
I've got some problems with the LOD at the moment but I'll go on working as soon as possible.
Visit Vorsfelde.

FromTheAshes

My canal is not overhanging anymore :(
What did I wrong?
I made the model becoming a prop and just put it on my LOT :/
Visit Vorsfelde.

vester

If I remember right the lods that comes with the model, is different from the one you are showing.

The originals stops at z=0 (ground level)

JBSimio

Vester speaks the truth.  There are LODs included in SG's file.  Click "Unhide All" and they should be there.  The scene is set up to make a canal section that fits on one tile.  The GMAX scene looks bigger, but because of the way the LODs are set, you should get one tile with slight overhangs.  (I believe this is done to eliminate shadows and lines when plopping pieces next to each other)  If you remade the LODs, my guess is that the model center got out of whack in the process.

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

FromTheAshes

Yeah, you're right. Didn't noticed that. Well I went on making this a 'set' and here we go with my new edges. (I know, they look like the ones from SG, but I made them myself (and theres a small mistake, finding it will set your karma +1  :D)
I know, the inner corners are missing. I'll try to create some in a while...

// There's also a 4x1 piece now.
Visit Vorsfelde.

Gaston

I like them.   I wish I could find the mistake,   I could use a karma point or two.     :D

---Gaston
白龍

jestarr

These are looking very good!  That said, you seem to have a section that's 2 meters longer than the rest, near the right side of the crossing area.  I had the same problem, when making an indented spot for one of my personal canal pieces.

FromTheAshes

Thank you ;)
You mean this one (red)? Right, don't ask me why it's shown this ways, the sizes are all exactly equal. But as you see the pathwalks look larger from behind, than from the front. I think thats a mistake Sim City put in  $%Grinno$% (yellow)
Visit Vorsfelde.

Shadow Assassin

You'll be quite surprised to know that that was intended for SC4.

You'll have to conceal that tiny mistake (circled in red) by some clever LOD work. When the inner corners are put in, I bet you you won't even notice the little mistake. ;)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

FromTheAshes

Yep shadow, you're right.
What do you think about these right now? I also made a 1x1 LOT only filled with water. The next thing will be to add some water flowers to this "blank" lot.
Visit Vorsfelde.