• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CAM - Show us your CAM Cities

Started by RippleJet, August 02, 2007, 12:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redguy

Here some pictures from my first region with CAMelot. The main city is called Ryanville (BioShock is great :thumbsup:).

Here a picture of the complete region:

Here a picture of my first Stage 15 building:

I also wonder why the average income dropped so heavily:

Air pollution is rampant, I think most people die on their way to work :P. Is there any good way to lower the pollution? The city has a busstop/subway on every corner, all anti-pollution ordinances are activated and I have (too many) of RippleJet's CAMelot Counter statues in my commercial district.

Traffic keeps getting worse, some roads and avenues are at their limit. So I guess I have to rework some of the transport network

RippleJet

Quote from: redguy on September 05, 2007, 09:40:41 AM
Air pollution is rampant, I think most people die on their way to work :P. Is there any good way to lower the pollution?

Plant trees along all busy roads and avenues. ;)

Kitsune

Quote from: RippleJet on September 05, 2007, 09:59:08 AM
Plant trees along all busy roads and avenues. ;)

Or just use a mod that eliminates it  :thumbsup:
~ NAM Team Member

rickmastfan67

-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Kitsune

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on September 06, 2007, 06:16:36 PM
But where's the fun in that? :P

More Population. I'm not kidding: with the CAM installed, I had city with fairly high polluiton, population was about 550 to 600K. I actived the no pollution oridance, and with one year, without any new zoning, the population hit 700K. My jaw hit the floor needless to say, and I'm pondering doing this in my other cities.......
~ NAM Team Member

redguy

Using a mod to get rid of pollution sounds like cheating :P. Heck, I'm using bigger hospitals and garbage disposal plants, that feels like cheating :P.

My main city now has 1.1m R, 1m C and about 150k I(-T). I think I'll just go with the flow, planting trees is nice, but for that I have to demolish almost half of my commercial district (relaying roads, rezoning, etc). I think you can easily hit double that size, since I used some medium density zones (the skyline would look awkward otherwise).

RippleJet

Quote from: redguy on September 07, 2007, 05:24:27 AM
I think I'll just go with the flow, planting trees is nice, but for that I have to demolish almost half of my commercial district (relaying roads, rezoning, etc).

If there is any space on the lot around the building, you can actually plant trees without demolishing anything.
I usually just plant my trees randomly along my roads getting them whereever there is space for them.

The only thing you have to remember is that if the lot redevelops, all trees you've planted on it will be torn down.
Darn construction workers... they should take better care of trees already planted on the lot... :D
Just replant more trees on every new lot every now and then. ;)

dioangel

"Beethoven is known for writting the most daring music has ever known to man...DioAngel is known for writting outragous stories has ever known to a lady."
My new MD: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=6796.0

redguy

Planting trees like that isn't real imo. I don't strive for those beautifuls cities that are possible, I want the most ppl in a small place while still running an efficient and healthy city. And I want a huge skyline ::).

In my next city I left more room for trees (top-left city):

It seems to be working. But maybe because there is no commercial district and thus less traffic :P.

Here downtown Ryanville:

As you can see, lots of roads and few trees. All my cities have a grid-like structure. I just couldn't be hassled with creating city centres like cities here in The Netherlands.

At the moment I have 761 CAMelots in Ryanville.

I don't count the Industrial lots, they are a lot smaller and easier to get. I wonder why I don't have much CO$$$ lots tho &mmm...

A screenshot of ppl distribution.

I think it's possible to cram 4 or 5 million ppl in 1 large city with 100% land :).

RippleJet

Quote from: redguy on September 07, 2007, 02:18:36 PM
And I want a huge skyline ::).

And that you will get! :D

In the third picture I noticed that the query isn't displayed correctly.
The top-most query window is included in the file GC_Essentials.dat
That file is in turn included in the download BSC Essentials.

redguy

Thanks! The lay-out is a bit different now. Weird thing is, I thought I'd installed that mod &mmm.

Toblakai

Thanks, Bat, for the reply, I've been away for some time, work work work... ()sad().

Loneranger, somehow that thumb from your regional overview doesn't work, and I'm still eager to see it.

Quote from: RippleJet on September 03, 2007, 11:30:58 AM
Not sure if that was the reason, but:

R§ needs a nearby park to get past stage 12
R§§ needs a nearby park to get past stage 9
R§§§ needs a nearby park to get past stage 3

Details about those Park CAPs and other CAPs can be found in the CAM - Stage Limits and Stage CAPs thread.

Didn't I read in the manual that buildings also have a desirability threshold growth? So plobbing more parks might get those $$ and $$$ buildings to pop up.

Quote from: redguy on September 07, 2007, 02:18:36 PM
As you can see, lots of roads and few trees. All my cities have a grid-like structure. I just couldn't be hassled with creating city centres like cities here in The Netherlands.

Hear you there, though there are enough plugins out there to do it. Great city pics by the way and many CAMelots  :thumbsup:. My biggest city has 2.300.000 citizens in it and has (minus 453 industry) "only" 952 CAMelots.

Does anyone know about a plugin to up the amount people that can attend university, because the one in Serrapolis is continually on strike with 15.000 attendants. I'm also doing the Kings Cross station justice with 30.000+ commuters, but I can't place it everywhere so the rest of my stations is still overcrowded. Maybe the airport tram centers by Joerg need more capacity too, because I need 15+ of them to keep the city flying. I've tried modding he numbers myself, but I'm so poor at it that when I do that the game refuses to start up &ops.

RippleJet, since you said the "promote biking plugin was rather radical", I did a test, by removing the "promote biking plugin" in Serrapolis, whose results I'll post below.

Right, Here is an overvieuw of Serrapolis, "finished", as I filled the last free space to get additional  CAMelots. 2.300.000 sims and counting...

With the promote biking plugin:

Removed it and then 5 years later:

It seem like the game recalculated my commute times "in the past", so there is no spike from 20 to 120 =. The commute times went back to what I was used to seeing pre-CAM in cities of 500k people. I saw no dilapidation and my city still grew to 2.450k citizens in those years. The road congestion did increase significantly though. Suddenly there are red places all over the city roads, even though the total volume is "only"  $%Grinno$% 100k extra cars and 50k extra busses.

Toblakai.

bat

Fantastic looking new pictures of your CAM cities @ all! :thumbsup:

RippleJet

Quote from: Toblakai on September 08, 2007, 01:50:23 PM
Didn't I read in the manual that buildings also have a desirability threshold growth? So plobbing more parks might get those $$ and $$$ buildings to pop up.

Yes, §§§ buildings won't grow until the desirability is above 120, and parks help a lot in increasing desirability. ;)

Does anyone know about a plugin to up the amount people that can attend university, because the one in Serrapolis is continually on strike with 15.000 attendants.

Changing the capacity of the in-game university can be done, if you are precautious regarding the Phantom Funding Sliders Bug.
Being precautious means you would have to bulldoze all existing universities in all your cities before installing such a mod.
There is a modular university being developed by one of the teams here at SC4D, but unfortunately it is far from finished yet.

RippleJet, since you said the "promote biking plugin was rather radical", I did a test, by removing the "promote biking plugin" in Serrapolis, whose results I'll post below.

The road congestion did increase significantly though. Suddenly there are red places all over the city roads, even though the total volume is "only"  $%Grinno$% 100k extra cars and 50k extra busses.

All three pathfinding plugins included in the CAM increase both the capacity and speed for all networks (see page 5 in the manual).
Thus, removing the "Promote Biking", would indeed cause a lot of traffic problems.

You might want to try the "Promote nothing" and compare those results to the "Promote biking".
If you do not want to reinstall the CAM, but want to be able to manually move any of the files in and out, I recommmend downloading the MAC version of CAM, which includes all files as such, for you to copy into the appropriate folders as needed.

LoneRanger

Thanks, Bat, for the reply, I've been away for some time, work work work... ()sad().

Loneranger, somehow that thumb from your regional overview doesn't work, and I'm still eager to see it.

I hope that works cause I can't take any new pics since my HD crashed and went up in flames.
Atleast 60 hours of work down the drain.  :'(
Luckaly I made a backup of my plugin folder a few hours before the crash, forgot to backup my region.
Just started over in the Berlin region an hour ago, no cam-buildings yet.  ;D

Toblakai

Quote from: LoneRanger on September 09, 2007, 09:24:49 AM
I hope that works cause I can't take any new pics since my HD crashed and went up in flames.
Atleast 60 hours of work down the drain.  :'(
Luckaly I made a backup of my plugin folder a few hours before the crash, forgot to backup my region.
Just started over in the Berlin region an hour ago, no cam-buildings yet.  ;D

Sorry to hear about your hard disk, it sucks when that happens. If it's any consolation, the pic works and your region did look very nice. I think I'll backup all my stuff now, considdering my PC is 4 years old...

@RippleJet: I didn't know the plugin was for all the CAM commute modifications, so what I was looking at was the default simcity speeds and capacities. Well that's one experiment down the drain... What it does tell me though is that how I was zoning the city did do some good, I never had that many pedestrians before &mmm.

I found a modified University on the STEX with 25k capacity, and I didn't even have to remove my old ones.

Toblakai

P.s. Redguy, I was looking at that night picture from Ranville again and it occured to me that your nightlighting may not be working properly. I may be incorrect but many of those buildings have lights on them in my city at night.

redguy

Quote from: Toblakai on September 10, 2007, 08:59:05 AM
P.s. Redguy, I was looking at that night picture from Ranville again and it occured to me that your nightlighting may not be working properly. I may be incorrect but many of those buildings have lights on them in my city at night.
Weird, I did install the patch for it... I'll keep it in mind and look into it later on, I've got bigger problems in Ryanville :P. But thanks for mentioning it.

Toblakai

Slow going this week, but I have a picture of some CAM farms.

JoeST

You, my friend, are shaming all of us with your amazing city building skills, I salute you  :thumbsup:

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms